Will my Quest for good headphones ever end?
Feb 14, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #61 of 74
I thought I could manage with one pair of cans. Now I know I can't. There are times when you simply wish for a different sound. There's no perfect sound or killer phone for me.

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #62 of 74
I have an open and a closed headphone and couldn't do without either. I use both, although I use the closed 'phone considerably more due to it's isolation.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #63 of 74
I don't mean to brag, but I found the pair for me that I'll keep forever. I love the midrange and I don't think there's a pair where vocal songs can sound even more realistic. Before I did the research and got the Lambda, I had an HD280 for about 3 years and had gotten into dnb music due to the awesome bass qualities of this pair and I still keep it plugged in for that. It's funny how headphones can influence your taste in music...

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #64 of 74
You could opt for studio headphones with a bright sound signature. The AKGs have that according to some. Just track down a second hand studio AKG which is known for its good sound in the 'field' and you could opt for an oldie. Vintage headphones are good if you know what to look for (and luck is on your side).

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #65 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol it never ends. If something better comes out, tell me you wouldn't be interested
tongue.gif

THIS
Read my screen name.....For many of us it's true " The search never ends"
As much as I wish it would, I don't see it happening after 30 years of searching. The compromise I live with is dozens of sets, different moods and music, not to mention the fact that we don't hear exactly the same on a day to day basis.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #66 of 74
Found mine!!! Ultrasone HFI-780
biggrin.gif
I swear, simply wearing them makes food taste better! Granted, I know my music tastes will change and I will like a slightly different sound on certain occasions, the HFI-780 work 95% of the time... every time!

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #67 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
I swear, simply wearing them makes food taste better! Granted, I know my music tastes will change and I will like a slightly different sound on certain occasions, the HFI-780 work 95% of the time... every time!

I hope it stays that way! Nothing would please me more than finding a set that worked for me 95 percent of the time over the long haul!

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #69 of 74
Id say you should take the advice of alot of the other headfiers on hear and buy a set in the 600+ dollar region. Now that you know what you're looking for you can get alot better help deciding what expensive can to get.

And it sounds like to me you just need some nice customs, like a pair of jh-13's
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's also something I fail to understand on head-fi....why do ppl keep so many pairs of crappy phones? why not selling them all and just get one killer phone...like say, a cd3k
darthsmile.gif

or I dunno, the d7k or anything else in the +$600 region...good phones are expensive, but the ROI will be right on your ears at every single second of head time.

I collect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Id say you should take the advice of alot of the other headfiers on hear and buy a set in the 600+ dollar region. Now that you know what you're looking for you can get alot better help deciding what expensive can to get.

And it sounds like to me you just need some nice customs, like a pair of jh-13's
smily_headphones1.gif

I've a budget, I have no sets under $200 that make me happy. This is my quest. Seems like all I have left to try are the Grado 225i or the Ultrasone 750. After that, my budget is exceeded and my quest is over until more new headphones in this price range comes out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyItsBattleKid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

doesnt the 750 cost more and sound better? :\

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #71 of 74
No...not with massive upgradititis.

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #72 of 74
both the 750 and 780 are just too expensive for me, i had a 170$ budget and already purchased a 225i with 414s from a nice fellow here on headfi.

odds are good if i do not enjoy them that much, i will hang on to them for a while until i can muster up another 50$ and then go for the 780

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #73 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah...try and listen to some Grados( Sr225i... RS1i )or Ultrasones ( pro 750 or 900 ) and see if they are to your liking.
Good luck!

You wont, like the heavy feel of the ultrasones, I have the pro 900's and they are nice for a while, but get uncomfortable for me.
I'm looking at buying a pair of grado RS-1s or a pair of grad gs1000's I can't wait.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #74 of 74
  Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If those ~$800 spent so far had been spent on a single pair I assume you would have been more pleased with the result.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aka, rather take one (1) good pair over seven (7) mediocre pairs . . .

Does anyone here would settle with even one good pair?

If i hear one good pair,i might end up buying seven good pairs and this goes on and on..
evil_smiley.gif

The answer is no. I once had a pair of HD650 with a headphonia lyrix, and i was stunned at how great it sounded, even massively underamped. But }I wanted to hear some other cans, I wanted to hear what other people were talking about. I tried a few, and i'm now going to buy a HD600 with a proper amp, the valhalla 2 and the magni 2 uber, becaused based on descriptions, and my experienced with aggressive/bright speakers, I think I am going to love them even more than the HD650. 

But you know what? I know i wont buy a lot of cans, but I do see the HD800 in my future. 

It's the nature of the beast. It's this hobby. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back