Why the Beats Hate?
Jun 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #152 of 2,037
Quote:
I see your point. But you are comparing wrong headphones. Lets say you compare something like Denon to beats for rnb and hip-hop. Does your claim still stand?

Denon AH-D7000 vs Beats ~ better yet, Fostex TH900
confused_face(1).gif

Anyone who chooses Beats over these two needs to visit an audiologist.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #154 of 2,037
Quote:
That's kind of harsh... some might prefer the sound sig of beats...

but that's not me for sure!

If they prefer the sig of beats, they should just get some $20 Sonys. Crappy, muddy bass and no detail is easy to find in lots of budget headphones. Its not like Beats have some kind of unique sound signature that has never been achieved before. The pros aren't too bad, but again sound similar to other phones at much lower price points.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #155 of 2,037
Quote:
 My point is Sennheiser has been using cheap plastics in HD 600's and 650's for years and have gotten away with it far longer than Beats have been around, and I have a graveyard of broken cans to prove it. 

Yet they get no hate from audiophiles because well...........why? They're obviously overpriced if you go by materials. They also claim to be the best sounding headphones in the world, and have been for years. Yes they sound different than Beats but I would venture to say that Beats have far higher customer satisfaction than Sennheiser owners. Why? Because Beats are loud with a lot of sub bass. Sennheiser on the other hand, if bought by an audiophile, are always going to have competition in the hi fi world that does something better than them.

I don't think you quite understand what you're talking about, no offense. What Sennheiser used is not cheap plastic. Plastic can be very expensive and advanced. The fact that some people managed to crack their headbands on the HD600 or HD650 is to me...unbelievable. Having owned the HD650's for 2 years, I DO NOT SEE how someone can break them. They stretch far enough to fit on any size head, no problem. They feel very solid in hand, and the plastic used on the HD650 has a ceramic-like feel of solidity to it, without the fragility of course. That plastic used on HD600/650 is made with best acoustic properties in mind, not for showing off to your friends by how far the headband can be flexed without cracking. If that was the case, than headbands would be made out of rubber.  And if ANYONE manages to break the HD650's, then he is a careless person. No other way to put it. Throwing them around a lot, dropping them on the floor very often, generally not taking care of them, etc...is the only way to break them, and someone who is not responsible enough to take care of 500$ headphones, does not deserve 500 dollar headphones. Its a prime example of people having more money than common sense.

As for Sennheiser being the best headphones in the world...please, give me a single quite where anyone from Sennheiser has EVER claimed that. On the other hand Beats main marketing line is "With Beats, people are going to hear what the artists hear, and listen to the music the way they should: the way I do." - by Dre himself.

Sennheisers are NOT the best headphones in the world, because there is no such a thing as THE BEST.  But, anyone who denies the fact that Sennheiser is one of the giants in the headphone world, and one of the best headphones makers in the world, simply doesn't know anything about this topic. 

You're claiming a few very far fetched and in essence wrong things:

"Yes they sound different than Beats but I would venture to say that Beats have far higher customer satisfaction than Sennheiser owners."  - I highly doubt that, and it has nothing to do with headphones, but the person. Someone is more satisfied with 5$ earbuds than someone else is with 1500$ HD800's. Does that make 5$ earbuds better? No.

"Because Beats are loud with a lot of sub bass." - and they're the only headphone who fits that category?

"Sennheiser on the other hand, if bought by an audiophile, are always going to have competition in the hi fi world that does something better than them."
- yes it going to have competition from other high quality headphones. Does that make it bad? And you're saying as if Beats dont have any competition...they do, and huge majority of it BEATS it, no pun intended.

Sennheiser is NOT overpriced anymore than any other headphone out there. Beats are overpriced, far more than probably any other headphone maker out there. That's a fact.  Best Beats which cost 350-400 dollars, the Pro's, cant even be compared to a 300-400$ Sennheiser headphone. Because we're talking about HD600 and HD650. And sorry, but comparing these is like comparing a Dodge Charger with a 100,000 dollar price tag to a BMW 7 series. Both are sedans, and both have 4 wheels, and this is where the comparison ends.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #156 of 2,037
Quote:
If they prefer the sig of beats, they should just get some $20 Sonys. Crappy, muddy bass and no detail is easy to find in lots of budget headphones. Its not like Beats have some kind of unique sound signature that has never been achieved before. The pros aren't too bad, but again sound similar to other phones at much lower price points.

You're right about that. But they do sound better than $20 sonys... but not much better.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #157 of 2,037
Quote:
some might prefer the sound sig of beats...

Yes, those in need of help from an audiologist.
Sound signature is irrelevant here, because the difference in sound quality is so high. Its like comparing a 25 year old CRT Monitor to a brand new FullHD LED monitor. Nobody can prefer an old one, unless he has serious sight problems.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #158 of 2,037
Quote:
That's kind of harsh... some might prefer the sound sig of beats...

but that's not me for sure!

Someone who is heavily influenced psychologically by the advertising, maybe.

In a blind test, anyone who would chose the Beats has some kind of hearing damage.  The Denons and Fostex are about as bassy as you can go without greatly harming other aspects.

Jun 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #159 of 2,037
Quote:

Yes, those in need of help from an audiologist.
Sound signature is irrelevant here, because the difference in sound quality is so high. Its like comparing a 25 year old CRT Monitor to a brand new FullHD LED monitor. Nobody can prefer an old one, unless he has serious sight problems.

A masochist, maybe
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #161 of 2,037
Quote:

Well depends of the sony. My sony mdr-xd100 sucks compared to the beat solo imho.
It might be a good idea for me to get the xb500, but they do not cost 20$.
And the beat solo has no sub bass, or I  didn't notice it.

Quote:
In a blind test, anyone who would chose the Beats has some kind of hearing damage.  The Denons and Fostex are about as bassy as you can go without greatly harming other aspects.

With proper music selection, and some mastering/ dsp, it should be possible to trick people.

Unfortunately where I  live (Morocco) the denon d5000  are sold at 1200 $ , and the beat pro at 560$, so I'm not sure which are the most overpriced.

Jun 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #162 of 2,037
Quote:
Well, what I've heard on the store totally killed my senn hd25, in term of enjoyment. Soundstage at least was completely blasted, even from the solo.

Yet, 99% of the people on this board would recommend the HD 25's over Beats Solo's in a heartbeat as better basshead cans, hell, Beats Solo is not even on the basshead cans list.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #163 of 2,037
Quote:

Yet, 99% of the people on this board would recommend the HD 25's over Beats Solo's in a heartbeat as better basshead cans, hell, Beats Solo is not even on the basshead cans list.

That is true. I would probs recommend the hd25 despite not having heard it, if it comes to either the solo or the hd25.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #164 of 2,037
I didn't think my boss's Beats Studios sounded any better than my JVC HA-S600 (that cost me $25) in the brief audition I had with them.

Jun 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #165 of 2,037
I kinda skipped the bass stage as a new born audiophile and skipped directly to clarity, and in some 4 months caring most for the mids and the timbre/body of my music.

Quoting from somewhere:

The new audiophile craves bass
The established audiophile craves treble
The experienced audiophile craves mids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back