Why the Beats Hate?
May 18, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #16 of 2,037
Quote:
Beats differs from Rolex because:
-A $1000 Rolex probably is more accurate than my $30 Casio.

Actually the Casio is more accurate. A typical quartz like a Casio is +/- 30 seconds a month, a mechanical Rolex is rated for +6/-4 seconds a day. But the Rolex has more intricate components that take more work to get right, and the fit and finish of the whole product is better. The point is, Rolex does put value into their product to somewhat justify the price, whereas Beats throws a bunch of cheap components together without much thought and sells them like they're a premium product. It works because they sell to the same crowd who goes nuts over Air Jordans. Meaning, their customers do not have discerning tastes or the capacity to appreciate quality; it's all about hype and nothing else.

May 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #17 of 2,037
Quote:
Actually the Casio is more accurate. A typical quartz like a Casio is +/- 30 seconds a month, a mechanical Rolex is rated for +6/-4 seconds a day. But the Rolex has more intricate components that take more work to get right, and the fit and finish of the whole product is better. The point is, Rolex does put value into their product to somewhat justify the price, whereas Beats throws a bunch of cheap components together without much thought and sells them like they're a premium product. It works because they sell to the same crowd who goes nuts over Air Jordans. Meaning, their customers do not have discerning tastes or the capacity to appreciate quality; it's all about hype and nothing else.

As a watch nut, I can only second that.

Every McDonalds Happy Meal watch is more accurate than a Rolex (except Rolex Oysterquartz).

Citizen builds a Quartz watch (The Citizen) for sale only in Japan that can achieve a accuracy of +/- 10 seconds a YEAR. wiithout receiving atomic clock signals or GPS timing. Just saying. Rolex watches are all COSC chronometer certified (movement is taking into an observary and checked for many days in various positions and temperatures for accuracy) and are accurate to the amount Tsujigirl mentioned. 

The difference is that the technology used. Making an automatic of winding watch movement purely with a hairspring and mechanical parts so accurate is a feast of engineering/watchmaking. Plonking a $1 quartz movement into a watch is not.

Cheers,
K

May 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 2,037
I hate beats because the bass is overwhelming, but not in a good way. It has no quality, it sounds like someone farting in a trombone.

Also i really hate it when people say that they look good, since even the design is copied from Shure Srh 240:
Beats https://www.google.ro/search?hl=en&biw=1366&bih=637&q=beats+solo&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.bGE&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=OrKXUdz1E5PE4gTK2oDoDQ
Shure https://www.google.ro/search?hl=en&q=shure+srh+240&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46751780,d.bGE&biw=1366&bih=637&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=RbKXUfbMKsjJ4ASknoHwBQ

They just added more shiney.

May 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #20 of 2,037
I'm sure there are a million headphones like these... but here's a good looking, much cheaper headphone that does "Beats" better than the Beats.

Link to review:
http://headfonics.com/2013/04/the-akg-k618dj-another-beats-slayer/

May 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 2,037
Quote:
-A $1000 Rolex probably is more accurate than my $30 Casio.

Came in here to refute this. Already been beaten to it by Tsuji and Koolpep.
Quote:
I don't see what's wrong with headphones being fashion accessories  Just think of them as a 1000$ rolex or even a 110$ gshock. Nobody gets mad at them for pricing a watch that does what 5$ watches do for way more money.

I don't see anything wrong with it either. But this forum is not the place to discuss such headphones. If you're coming to this forum for advice, you should already be aware that in general members here prioritize sound quality/buck over anything else with, portability, looks, accessory package all being nice, but often optional extras.
Quote:
And a great looking cable plus a lot of colors to choose from

Not exactly fantastic reasons to choose a headphone if your priority is sound quality. If your priority is to look "SWAG" and have a pair of headphones that makes you look "cool" and "street" sure. As I've said, that isn't why people come to this forum.

Besides, everyone knows these are the best beets around:

May 18, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 2,037
I've tried the Beats Executive in the Apple store when I went to compare the Iphone 5 to the Galaxy SIII (galaxy ftw, all the way :p), and I have to admit, they're not actually nearly as bad I expected them to be.  Number one, they really look good, I mean, they're made well, all metal, genuine, really soft high quality leather, etc. They look and feel like a quality product., more so than any of the audiophile headphones in that 300-500 dollar range, at least now that the D5000's are no longer available.

As far as sound goes, and I'm a full on audiophile, very picky about my sound, that's why I have pretty much every well regarded headphone in the mid-high end level, apart from the top of the line models, simply because I rather 5 different headphones than 1 very expensive one. We're talking HD650's, K701's, Q701's, DT770's, 880's, 990's, etc, and to be honest, I think that the Executive were actually quite about on the same level as my DT770Pro 80's. Granted, they cost almost twice as much as the DT770's, but they really didn't sound bad. I mean, nobody could say they sound bad, they actually sound pretty good, very good even with electronic music.There's a fairly nice tonal balance with smooth highs and elevated bass, but no too much of it. It's very well extended though. Soundstage is decent for a closed headphone and overall sound resolution is actually not bad.  Are there better sounding headphones at 400 dollars that they ask for them?  Yea, of course, HD650's for example have a similar (but a more neutral and flat) sound, but they're at least 40% better sonically, for the same price.  BUT, the build quality, the looks, the feel, comfort, etc. of the Executive, PLUS the active noise cancellation which I didn't even know they had at the time when I was listening to them, makes them an attractive package.  I've heard them plugged into a Iphone 5 and my Galaxy SIII. I'd like to take them home and try them in my headphone setup to see how good they really sound, but out of a smartphone, they're definitely on par with DT770 Pro's. I'm actually quite tempted to pull a trigger on them.

May 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #25 of 2,037
If your buying headphones because of how they look over how they sound then any choice is valid. Most people i know buy them based on what they sound like, and if they're pretty to boot its a bonus. The major issue is for the same price as Beats you can get very good sounding headphones that still look great. But sadly they will be missing the Beats logo :wink: 

May 19, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #29 of 2,037
Quote:
I've tried the Beats Executive in the Apple store when I went to compare the Iphone 5 to the Galaxy SIII (galaxy ftw, all the way :p), and I have to admit, they're not actually nearly as bad I expected them to be.  Number one, they really look good, I mean, they're made well, all metal, genuine, really soft high quality leather, etc. They look and feel like a quality product., more so than any of the audiophile headphones in that 300-500 dollar range, at least now that the D5000's are no longer available.

As far as sound goes, and I'm a full on audiophile, very picky about my sound, that's why I have pretty much every well regarded headphone in the mid-high end level, apart from the top of the line models, simply because I rather 5 different headphones than 1 very expensive one. We're talking HD650's, K701's, Q701's, DT770's, 880's, 990's, etc, and to be honest, I think that the Executive were actually quite about on the same level as my DT770Pro 80's. Granted, they cost almost twice as much as the DT770's, but they really didn't sound bad. I mean, nobody could say they sound bad, they actually sound pretty good, very good even with electronic music.There's a fairly nice tonal balance with smooth highs and elevated bass, but no too much of it. It's very well extended though. Soundstage is decent for a closed headphone and overall sound resolution is actually not bad.  Are there better sounding headphones at 400 dollars that they ask for them?  Yea, of course, HD650's for example have a similar (but a more neutral and flat) sound, but they're at least 40% better sonically, for the same price.  BUT, the build quality, the looks, the feel, comfort, etc. of the Executive, PLUS the active noise cancellation which I didn't even know they had at the time when I was listening to them, makes them an attractive package.  I've heard them plugged into a Iphone 5 and my Galaxy SIII. I'd like to take them home and try them in my headphone setup to see how good they really sound, but out of a smartphone, they're definitely on par with DT770 Pro's. I'm actually quite tempted to pull a trigger on them.

As many have noted, the build quality is actually pretty terrible. They may give the illusion of being solid, but the track record of Beats products shows that they have a very short lifespan and break due to idiotic design flaws. That alone is a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure if it's their complete incompetence or their desire to burn the customer with planned obsolescence, but given what I know about the people behind the company neither would surprise me one bit. Also, the fact that you say the HD650's have even a remotely similar sound signature makes me wonder how you're hearing things so differently from everyone else...

Quote:
I guess if you love dat hiss (and man, is there hiss), then sure, get the Executive.

Tus-Chan, what happened to the epic avatar you used to have??

May 19, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #30 of 2,037
wellp we're all hipsters so we gotta hate on the mainstream stuff. i absolutely hate apple products(mainly their computers i suppose), reason being is that they are way overpriced and when i go to lectures all i see is a wall of macbook panels. now someone who owns an apple product is gonna post after me about how i'm wrong and apple products are indeed NOT overpriced, well-built, and worth the money. and then they realize "oh wait that's how beats owners feel about beats products". but then they obviously can't have beats compared to their sacred apple products so they'll continue defending apple and explaining how it's comletely superior to beats and how beats are just trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back