Why the Beats Hate?
May 17, 2013 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,037

lilboozy

100+ Head-Fier
You guys do realize that some people would sacrifice detail for bass right? And every other headphone model recommended over them usually look terrible or alright but not good (vmoda m80). Plus the combination of portability and a detachable cable is great.

May 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 2,037
You guys do realize that some people would sacrifice detail for bass right?

See: Sony MDR-XB500. Sounds objectively better than any Beats and cost $50 while in production.

And every other headphone model recommended over them usually look terrible or alright but not good

You're talking to the wrong crowd if you prioritize fashion. This forum is all about either getting the best bang for the buck and/or getting the best bang for any buck. No Beats headphone does either of those, yet they are aggressively marketed as being the headphone everyone who makes or likes music has to own (which is incredibly misleading). To a lot of people, the fact that someone took our hobby and our industry and vastly perverted it to the public at large borders on offensive for a variety of reasons.

Plus the combination of portability and a detachable cable is great

This is not even remotely remarkable and does not justify the insanely high price to performance ratio of the headphones whatsoever. There is literally an entire subforum dedicated to portable headphones, and for the money charged, anything less of Beats would be an abject failure in design.

May 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 2,037
Quote:
You guys do realize that some people would sacrifice detail for bass right? And every other headphone model recommended over them usually look terrible or alright but not good (vmoda m80). Plus the combination of portability and a detachable cable is great.

- There is more to bass than just the boom.

- People have different tastes in aesthetics - to some, the Beats just don't look that good.

- Beats are more akin to fashion accessories that play music than headphones (and priced accordingly).

May 17, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 2,037
I think if the Studios were $125 and the Pros were $175-200 then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Perhaps they still wouldn't be worth it (to some), but at the same time there would be less hate.

What annoys me is how people that don't know anything (less than me ***) talk crap about Beats and don't have anything to follow up on it. You shouldn't be allowed to say Beats suck unless you can recommend other cans over it imo.

Btw, check out the AKG K550. In regards to appearance, they look pretty cool. Probably the best looking can under $300 from what I've researched (aside from V-Moda cans)

May 17, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 2,037
Why I don't like beats is because of their marketing. It is one big, miserable lie. If they didn't show their headphones as being superior to everything else and so on, I wouldn't have a problem with them.

Also check out the akg k267

May 17, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 2,037
lol, marketing, almost in it's entirety, is one big lie. 

No one is going to advertise their product, saying "We aren't the best, but we're pretty good"

May 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #11 of 2,037
Quote:
I don't see what's wrong with headphones being fashion accesories. Just think of them as a 1000$ rolex or even a 110$ gshock. Nobody gets mad at them for pricing a watch that does what 5$ watches do for way more money.

Beats are more like timex with rolex's price tag. 
I personally have no issues with people liking beats as long as they don't go around claiming beats is the best headphone in the world. I own the Beats Pro and they are far from being the best.
With that said, I do see a lot of audiophile hating on beats even though they never tried them before, some people just like to repeat what they read on the internet.

May 17, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 2,037
Beats differs from Rolex because:
-A $1000 Rolex probably is more accurate than my $30 Casio. Diminishing returns tend not to be bashed on Head fi (e.g. STAX), negative returns are different. 
-The vast, vast majority of people buy Rolexs as fashion accessories. There are very few people that are duped into thinking they provide head over heels improvements in timekeeping accuracy compared to much cheaper watches. 

I really don't mind people buying Beats for fashion. I don't think most of us care about those people. We generally take issue with the fact that people are buying Beats for sound quality. 

Also, we are headphone enthusiasts, not watch enthusiasts. 

May 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 2,037
Quote:
I don't like how people say "they look good"

I always thought they looked awful. Except for the solos, I liked the look.

Maybe It's because every time I spot them, people are always hiding the rolls of tape and super glue on the headband

I don't think they look awful.......

but I do think the perception of them looking "cool." is all related to the fact that celebs wear them (i.e. people with alot of money)....

cosmetically, I think they're good/okay but nowhere as good looking as some casual people believe. they also send me a message; this person probably thinks his music sounds great, he/she is missing out on so much....

May 18, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #15 of 2,037
Woodies all the way!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back