Why the Beats Hate?
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,396 of 2,037
If they weren't portables that are open/closed with a mic, I'd tend to agree on your value prop assessment. However, for what they do, I find them a solid bargain.

TBH, really wasn't expecting them to compete with my non-portable open cans in the same price range...different application. That said, I'm thinking I'd still swap them out for the M80s even if they didn't have the functionality advantage.

They were pretty comfortable at first but once I go into the 2 hour territory, they really start to hurt the sides of my head, I usually score headphones lower if they are uncomfortable like the hd600. That said, I still think my hm5 offers a better value for a closed back headphone, but I won't deny the styling/small form factor combined with a hybrid earcup is pretty unique. I don't own many portable headphones to compare, and I think I'll choose my edition s over my hm5 for portable usage due to the white color and smaller form factor

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,397 of 2,037
  I have M100's, V-80s, LP2, and V-Moda XS. Much better build quality than Beats and they're built like tanks. But I also like the sound of Beats better. V-Modas tend to have an extremely congested soundstage.

How exactly so? As I said a few weeks ago in this earlier post (click the link to view) when I compared the latest Studio Wireless headphones to my M-100s at a local hi-fi shop (by plugging them into my portable rig), the Studio Wireless sounded like it had more midbass and treble, whereas my M-100 had more sub-bass and midrange, by comparison. I also noticed better detail and soundstage in the M-100 as well. (Of course, this is ignoring the big power-handling problems of the Studio Wireless.)

Which model(s) of Beats were you comparing the V-Modas to?

I haven't had a chance to listen to M-80s, or XS's, but I've heard a pair of LPs (or LP2s, I can't remember which), and the LPs didn't have as good of treble as the M-100. (Currently, the M-100 and Crossfade Wireless are supposed to be the best-sounding V-Moda models right now.)

When you mention the "congested soundstage," are you referring to the excessive, colored, bloated midbass and lower midrange (i.e., 60 - 500 Hz) that the M-100 tends to put out on a lot of songs -- without proper EQ'ing?

That's where DiscoProJoe's Rockbox EQ Presets come to the rescue! I spent almost a year (off and on) developing this -- specifically for the M-100 -- to make any kind of music sound absolutely spectacular on it. In my experience, with proper EQ'ing and a good amp (such as the Cayin C5), the M-100 has the best soundstage I've ever heard -- particularly because of the M-100's unique sub-bass sensitivity and power handling, combined with its decent-sounding mids & highs. Put that together with its portability and durability, and we have a champ. 
gs1000.gif

Anyway, I look forward to showing off my portable dual-listening setup at the New York spring meetup in June 2017 for anyone who's interested!

Nov 27, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,400 of 2,037
I'm betting god-bluff has at several shops through out the UK....

And...they're lying ruined in each shop's trash bin!
wink.gif

I haven't come across any of these yet as they are relatively new I believe?

The search continues.........

......and god help them when I get my mitts on them 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,401 of 2,037

When you mention the "congested soundstage," are you referring to the excessive, colored, bloated midbass and lower midrange (i.e., 60 - 500 Hz) that the M-100 tends to put out on a lot of songs -- without proper EQ'ing?

I'm talking mainly about how the sound doesn't seem to spread out much on the M100. Without proper EQ'ing? Yeah, pretty much. EQ'ing the M100 to me would be pretty much like polishing a turd. Not worth it. 

Beats headphones that I compared the M-100 to was the Solo 2, the Studio 1.0, the Mixr, and the Studio 2.0

The best sounding V-moda to me by far was the M-80. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,402 of 2,037
The only thing I am surprised at is that in the portable closed back headphones , very few other headphones provide the weight, isolation and comfortable pads that Beats has. A lot of people I know go for lesser audio detail for that exact reason.

Nov 28, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #1,403 of 2,037
  Actually, there are far better options for basshead headphones out there. If someone truly wants a bassy experience, Beats are surprisingly not the way to go.

Probably the best statement on this entire thread. Music to my ears! 
L3000.gif

What 'chyall think?

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,404 of 2,037
For all the hate they get, I find very few alternatives that combine the incredible Apple connectivity, powerful sound signature over Bluetooth and most importantly comfortable, light weight cans perfect for working out. The fun sound is perfect for outside. No, I wouldn't reach for them for critical listening but I actually prefer them for background tunes when running. I think most comparisons only factor price and sound but to me there is a void these fill and I really enjoy them.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #1,405 of 2,037
For all the hate they get, I find very few alternatives that combine the incredible Apple connectivity, powerful sound signature over Bluetooth and most importantly comfortable, light weight cans perfect for working out. The fun sound is perfect for outside.

In response, here's a memorable post from another topic thread, lodged in my cherished memories forever:

(Beats Solo Wireless vs. V-Moda Crossfade Wireless)

Quote:
Solo 2 :-

Just my preference :-
---------------------------
Anyway, I got my dad a pair of V-Moda Crossfade Wireless for Christmas last year, and he loves 'em! I sampled them when he visited me two months ago, and they sound just like my beloved V-Moda Crossfade M-100s. Cool beans....

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #1,406 of 2,037
 I'm talking mainly about how the sound doesn't seem to spread out much on the M100. Without proper EQ'ing? Yeah, pretty much. EQ'ing the M100 to me would be pretty much like polishing a turd. Not worth it. 

Beats headphones that I compared the M-100 to was the Solo 2, the Studio 1.0, the Mixr, and the Studio 2.0

The best sounding V-moda to me by far was the M-80. 

I also like the M80 best of the V-MODA lineup but haven't heard the XS yet. Looks promising.

And...I definitely liked the M80 better than the Solo 2. To me, the highs and to a lesser degree the mids were better on the M80 while the bass on the Solo 2's was a little tighter but not enough to make up for it.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #1,407 of 2,037
In response, here's a memorable post from another topic thread, lodged in my cherished memories forever:

(Beats Solo Wireless vs. V-Moda Crossfade Wireless)

Quote:
Solo 2 :-

Just my preference :-

---------------------------

Anyway, I got my dad a pair of V-Moda Crossfade Wireless for Christmas last year, and he loves 'em! I sampled them when he visited me two months ago, and they sound just like my beloved V-Moda Crossfade M-100s. Cool beans....

Select 'FORGET DEVICE'

Edit. Sorry this as usual a snide non witty remark in relation to Beats headphones. No offence meant. Didn't read fully and a bit inebriated. Thought you might be Beatsy Boy.Not aimed at V-Moda. No nought about em other than I'm not keen on the style bot am an old git.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,408 of 2,037
What is that screen?  Bluetooth settings?  You mean you actually have to open bluetooth settings to pair a device??? 
biggrin.gif

Seriously though the W1 pairing on the Solo 3 is pretty fantastic.  I haven't found a place in my house where I lose the signal and as deep into the Apple ecosystem as I am it is pretty spectacular the way it handles handshakes.  I like bells and whistles so goofy new tech options make me happy, lol.

I have no doubt the headphones in that pic are superior sounding to my Solo 3, but I would probably only use them in the same way I would use my wired headphones and at that point why would I choose bluetooth?  The Solo's give me a freedom I have just really started to appreciate and the sound is a fun change of pace from my more balanced headphones.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #1,409 of 2,037
  I also like the M80 best of the V-MODA lineup but haven't heard the XS yet. Looks promising.

And...I definitely liked the M80 better than the Solo 2. To me, the highs and to a lesser degree the mids were better on the M80 while the bass on the Solo 2's was a little tighter but not enough to make up for it.

The XS was a screaming disappointment to me...........I haven't heard a decent soundstage on a V-Moda headphone since the M-80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back