Why the Beats Hate?
Mar 7, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,096 of 2,037
Not quite what I meant :flushed:

Of course that was what you meant! Heh, just pulling your leg there ;D
When I friends ask me to suggest a headphone, I suggest them Beats first. If they nudge me to give them better suggestions, I ask if they looked up any other headphones. If they provide two options, I ask why they chose those two options. It's not worth trying to convince people to jump into HD800's and have them blame me because there's not enough bass quantity.
I like circle jerking my headphones in their respective threads because it does two primary things; justify my purchase and learn strengths/flaws of a product by user feedback.
If it weren't for Head-Fi, I find it fairly hard to justify a purchase that could very well go into a better investment.

The funny thing about some advertised Beats alternatives like the V-Moda M100 is that the M100 has been the least durable headphone in my collection. The M100 is also advertised to be durable. Unfortunately they are not.  It didn't like my FiiO X5, X3 and X1 2nd gen because the 3.5khz peak in the M100 can become really aggressive. The kevlar cables started unraveling, the left driver died on me 3 times. V-Moda told me I couldn't send them back anymore and that I'd have to buy a new M100. Little did I know, when I opened the shell myself, it was simple solder crack. The headphone cups also started cracking after taking them out in the -10 Celcius canadian weather and into warm buildings. I have yet for my 3 other portable alternatives to have this bad durability.

I also see celebrity/iconic figures representing a product to be looked down upon. However this is what happens when you mix two favourite things together:
Originally Posted by Tiddlesworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

​I won't fall for some cheap marketing trick... oh

Marketing is not always a bad thing.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #1,097 of 2,037
I don't see Beats anymore. All I see are ATH-M50's. Must see about 3 or 4 sets of those on the bus every day.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,098 of 2,037
I don't see Beats anymore. All I see are ATH-M50's. Must see about 3 or 4 sets of those on the bus every day.

Now there needs to be a new m50. The m50 is a bit heavy and seeing the cracking pads issue among my friends is quite unfortunate.

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #1,099 of 2,037

Not quite what I meant :flushed:

Of course that was what you meant! Heh, just pulling your leg there ;D
When I friends ask me to suggest a headphone, I suggest them Beats first. If they nudge me to give them better suggestions, I ask if they looked up any other headphones. If they provide two options, I ask why they chose those two options. It's not worth trying to convince people to jump into HD800's and have them blame me because there's not enough bass quantity.
I like circle jerking my headphones in their respective threads because it does two primary things; justify my purchase and learn strengths/flaws of a product by user feedback.
If it weren't for Head-Fi, I find it fairly hard to justify a purchase that could very well go into a better investment.

The funny thing about some advertised Beats alternatives like the V-Moda M100 is that the M100 has been the least durable headphone in my collection. The M100 is also advertised to be durable. Unfortunately they are not.  It didn't like my FiiO X5, X3 and X1 2nd gen because the 3.5khz peak in the M100 can become really aggressive. The kevlar cables started unraveling, the left driver died on me 3 times. V-Moda told me I couldn't send them back anymore and that I'd have to buy a new M100. Little did I know, when I opened the shell myself, it was simple solder crack. The headphone cups also started cracking after taking them out in the -10 Celcius canadian weather and into warm buildings. I have yet for my 3 other portable alternatives to have this bad durability.

I do the same thing with smartphones. If someone asks me what I would recommend for a smartphone, I ask them "Do you prefer Android phones or iPhones?" (I'd never recommend a Windows phone to someone who can't decide on their own), and they usually say "I don't know, which one's better?". I tell them iPhones are better because you can get more accessories for them (people get really annoyed when they find out that no shop stocks cases for their Huawei or Moto E), they are more secure (the biggest vulnerability in any system is the user, so iOS' locked down nature and walled garden approach helps), easy to use and are all-round consistent performers. Anything wrong with it within 12 months, just take it to Apple. No need for proof of purchase (after all, it's an Apple iPhone), and even if it's out-of-warranty, if it's something that shouldn't go wrong (not damaaged) within a reasonable amount of time from the original purchase date (usually 3 years I think, as per Australian Consumer Law), Apple is pretty good with abiding by ACL.

In the long run, it also saves me from having to deal with email problems, phone running slow (if they had chosen a bottom-of-the-barrel model like the Galaxy J1 or something - if they went with an iPhone they can't cheap out on it), ransomware locking the phone down, wakelock issues draining the battery etc. Repairs are also a breeze due to the abundance and affordability of parts, great modularity of parts (very little need to solder stuff like the charging port and power button), and high value of the device (so in most cases it won't be "better off buying a new one"). iPhones also stay relevant for longer, because Apple doesn't make 20 models a year and can actually support the software (I still see a lot of people using iPhone 4's/4Ses, but not many still using a Galaxy S2 or HTC One X).

If whoever's asking for a recommendation tells me "I don't like iPhones", I ask them "Why?", they'll say "I just don't" and then I'll say "Well, it's your loss, because iPhones are the best 
wink_face.gif
".

Products like Apple devices and [post-2013] Beats headphones are easy to recommend because they are designed to sell, appeal to, and impress the masses who generally don't know what's "objectively good" and judge a device rather by their external appearance and social image that they carry, while also actually being sufficiently satisfactory in real-world use without needing to have impressive specs on paper (because large numbers (screen resolution, GHz/no. of cores, GB of RAM for phones and Hz'es and ohms for headphones) does not equate to good usability). When it comes to smartphones and headphones, "good" is subjective. If someone could determine what's "good" for them, they don't need to ask me for advice. 

I also see celebrity/iconic figures representing a product to be looked down upon. However this is what happens when you mix two favourite things together:
Originally Posted by Tiddlesworth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

​I won't fall for some cheap marketing trick... oh

Marketing is not always a bad thing.

Haha, I remember that.

This reminds me of when my Studio Wireless got bricked by a software update. The update stopped at step 2 of 3, and the headphone's battery gauge just oscillated back and forth, like this:

When I performed a hard reset the LEDs went out and the headphone wouldn't turn on again. I was fairly sure they were out of warranty, but when I took it to the Apple Store, somehow the Genius put it in for warranty service and a couple of weeks later, I got a brand new set because they couldn't fix my old one.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #1,100 of 2,037
Headphones can maybe measured in 3 areas of importance which the makers prioritise

• Marketing, image and 'style'
  • Sound quality
  • Build quality, design integrity and real value in terms of cost and lifespan 
 By my reckoning and logic
blink.gif
 traditional Beats would be 90% marketing etc/ 5% sound/ 5% build

The 'vastly improved' ('lol' as they say) Solo might be 60/30/10% if I'm being generous

Pukka headphones like the great Beyer DT150 would be 5%/60%/35%

HD25 similar but lesser sound even greater longevity and some DJ endorsement/ style. Say 15/40/55%

A typical extravagantly priced and designed 'flagship' 30/60/10%

A couple of my current phones

Beyer DT860 5/70/25% Zero style, incredible sound, great value but average (for a Beyer) build

Focal Spirit Classic 25/55/20% Stylish I suppose, great sound, fairly expensive for the build; a typical good modern 'phone

A highly unscientific study in silliness but gives an insight in to peoples prioirites  when they design a headphone or part with their hard earned cash

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #1,101 of 2,037
I think the MDR-Z7 sony's flagship are 10% marketing, style etc/ 50% SQ/40% buil (all metal)that's what i have heard and read about them, Wish my packet i bought wasn't stolen

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,102 of 2,037
I think the MDR-Z7 sony's flagship are 10% marketing, style etc/ 50% SQ/40% buil (all metal)that's what i have heard and read about them, Wish my packet i bought wasn't stolen

Sounds about right. 'It's a Sony' as they used to say.

A company who has got most things right. Innovative, quality and value

Only their product planning and marketing let's them down a bit

The cheeky upstart Dre and his :smiling_imp: empire shouldn't have been allowed even a toe hold in the market

Mar 14, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #1,103 of 2,037

Sounds about right. 'It's a Sony' as they used to say.

A

They still say that.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #1,104 of 2,037

I think Sony is 30% marketing, 30% sound and 40% build and etc lately. Sony tries a lot of new things, marketd them and never really dedicates themselves for a long period of time. Look at the MDR-R10 which was their last flagship, the MDR-MA900 which is a highly praised budget open design now discontinued, and I recently bought the MDR-1R mk2 which supposedly has 89khz extension through a beats-esque design and treble roll off..

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #1,105 of 2,037
I think Sony is 30% marketing, 30% sound and 40% build and etc lately. Sony tries a lot of new things, marketd them and never really dedicates themselves for a long period of time. Look at the MDR-R10 which was their last flagship, the MDR-MA900 which is a highly praised budget open design now discontinued, and I recently bought the MDR-1R mk2 which supposedly has 89khz extension through a beats-esque design and treble roll off..

SONY MDR10RC 20/50/30

More neutral than their overear big brothers maybe? Just slightly bloated in the bass nice treble.

Value is amazing at the moment based on UK price of just £35!

Only lack a little sensitivity making them harder to drive than they should be but still work beautifully with my Sony phone. Surely as good as the Solos at 1/3 of the price. Nice subtle style and wonderful comfort.

Get em if you can (not available in the US of A I believe)

(Should add. I previously owned the crazy but great PFR V1 (5/90/5). Who else would have dared or been able to produce that ?)

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #1,106 of 2,037
Because great headphones should make correct sound. i have try many different earphones and headphones on my system, each of them has significantly making better sound. But beats DO NOT. That is sad

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #1,107 of 2,037
Because great headphones should make correct sound. i have try many different earphones and headphones on my system, each of them has significantly making better sound. But beats DO NOT. That is sad

What headphone makes "correct sound"?

In my experience the most expensive headphones have very incorrect tuning to make them attractive to naive audiophiles......for instance Sennheiser HD800 has boosted treble and rolled off bass to highlight treble and mid detail. However, a significant amount of bass weight that's present in the original recording is missing.

This particular tuning is extremely popular here on Head Fi and considered "neutral". in reality, it's as unbalanced as Beats' opposite tuning which is boosted bass and rolled off treble.

Beats Studio costs $400, Sennheiser HD800s are $1500. Both are equally worthless in a pro mixing environment.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #1,108 of 2,037

What headphone makes "correct sound"?

In my experience the most expensive headphones have very incorrect tuning to make them attractive to naive audiophiles......for instance Sennheiser HD800 has boosted treble and rolled off bass to highlight treble and mid detail. However, a significant amount of bass weight that's present in the original recording is missing.

This particular tuning is extremely popular here on Head Fi and considered "neutral". in reality, it's as unbalanced as Beats' opposite tuning which is boosted bass and rolled off treble.

Beats Studio costs $400, Sennheiser HD800s are $1500. Both are equally worthless in a pro mixing environment.

They probably got "I like the sound of this headphone" confused with "This headphone sounds correct", even though "correct sound' is pretty meaningless in this sense. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,110 of 2,037
The cheeky upstart Dre and his :smiling_imp: empire shouldn't have been allowed even a toe hold in the market

Music and people's preference to it has evolved which beats/jbl is a reflection of. Some people have trouble accepting it or ignoring it and continue enjoying their sound signature instead of getting all butthurt.

I have always just ignored those kinds of people when I have always preferred more detailed bass than some people

Users who are viewing this thread

Back