Why the Beats Hate?
Nov 13, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #961 of 2,037

i always hoped apple to release lossless iToons downloads (yeah i said iToons in purpose) and i saw that never so i switched to prestoclassical and qobuz

Qobuz for me, in alac for my iPod !!!  (...and Xperia in HR) 

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #962 of 2,037
I say it is unfair to judge an object/item without trying it in person Thank god I tried beats at my local BB store before I opened my mouth, However you will always be somewhat biased towards the things you own, and the things you don't. As I said before you have good headphones available at all price points. I think Beats Solo v2 @ 99$ would be excellent (with some better build quality) - since it would be very competitive against Sennheiser, AKG, V-Moda, and Philips. I don't consider my self an audiophile - but a purist. I think most Audiophiles are Brain washed sheep (it costs XXXXX$, and hence it must be better compared to something cost XXX$) - I would suggest most Audiophiles to take some Physics/ EE classes so they don't base their opinions on Price. My .02$

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #963 of 2,037
Who said you need to pay a fotune for quality. I never have. I think there are headphones that beat Beats for less.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #964 of 2,037
  I say it is unfair to judge an object/item without trying it in person Thank god I tried beats at my local BB store before I opened my mouth, However you will always be somewhat biased towards the things you own, and the things you don't. As I said before you have good headphones available at all price points. I think Beats Solo v2 @ 99$ would be excellent (with some better build quality) - since it would be very competitive against Sennheiser, AKG, V-Moda, and Philips. I don't consider my self an audiophile - but a purist. I think most Audiophiles are Brain washed sheep (it costs XXXXX$, and hence it must be better compared to something cost XXX$) - I would suggest most Audiophiles to take some Physics/ EE classes so they don't base their opinions on Price. My .02$

Ooooh i tried them from a coworker adn yeah they do sound bad period even my now-sold XBA-H3 sound better than beats

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #965 of 2,037

Ooooh i tried them from a coworker adn yeah they do sound bad period even my now-sold XBA-H3 sound better than beats

Sir - you are probably right. I have tried beats and yes I am not a big fan of them, but inherently I would be less biased towards them if I owned them myself. I think not owning a product creates an inherent bias. ​

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #966 of 2,037

Sir - you are probably right. I have tried beats and yes I am not a big fan of them, but inherently I would be less biased towards them if I owned them myself. I think not owning a product creates an inherent bias. ​

I don't think so I don't own the MDR-Z7 or the new sennheiser HD800S and i'm hyped about them
biggrin.gif
 I WANT THEM SOOO BAD

Nov 13, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #967 of 2,037
  I think not owning a product creates an inherent bias. ​

You have it the other way around - preferences or biases are what determines what you will buy just as much as what your resources will allow. If you want to look cool by being seen having what pop culture personalities use, you buy Beats; you want to hear the kind of sound that engineeers are likely to hear, you buy headphones that some studios use or speakers that are used to evaluate their mixes done on studio monitors. You want to look like Kobe, you buy Beats; you want to hear what Tuomas Holopainen heard when Century Child was mastered, you buy B&W speakers.

Let's think of this in terms of a car. Someone who obviously prefers a gurgling, long-stroke engine that sounds like it'll eat everything (including the ozone layer) in its path will get something with a long stroke engine that sounds like it will eat  the ozone layer, and then slap on 24in chrome rimmz on it. Someone who prefers a high-tech, high-rpm, shorter stroke engine will get a (likely red) car with a V12 specifically designed to sound like a LeMans racer. Budget comes in when for example some like me who prefers the latter will just go out and buy a white S2000 instead of a black on red 550 Barchetta.

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #968 of 2,037
Maybe the reason people here hate beats (for reasons other than the debatable sound quality) is simply because they are the physical embodiment of the view of listening we gave up when each of us started using Head-fi and loving high end audio.  As well I think audiophiles don't like them simply because they are annoyed by all the propaganda and bias seen around them and they just post here to let it out.  Personally I don't think Head-fi is a place to argue about how bad beats is but rather ignore beats and simply talk about what headphones we really care about.

Nov 15, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #969 of 2,037
Nah! The reason people here hate Beats is that they sound bad. And I own some. Ive got the original Studio Beats over ear, the original beats iems, both Lady Gaga iems and a set of Solo HD on ear which are powder blue with white earpads. All made by Monster. The Gaga ones sound great in a fun way. Ya know the little on-ear ones are just the ticket for going out with just an iphone or pono. They have too much bass that drowns out everything and not much soundstage. But the music is present and enjoyable. I don't wanna lug around a tablet and ifi-idsd and hd800's. The real problem with Beats is a set of $140.00 Sennheiser hd598's smoke all the beats ive owned and sound just fine without an amp.

Nov 15, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #970 of 2,037
Hmmm...comparing to open Senns isn't really apples to apples for me as I used closed cans for the isolation (and the Bass!). :wink:

Would agree the previous generation of Beats Solos were not pleasing to my ear. To my ears, the Solo 2's are very good set of cans. They are a tad better than the UE6000s and much better than either of the original over or on ear Momentums (and I'm a Senn fanboy).

When they hit $100 (currently $130), I'll buy them.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #971 of 2,037
Hmmm...comparing to open Senns isn't really apples to apples for me as I used closed cans for the isolation (and the Bass!). :wink:

Would agree the previous generation of Beats Solos were not pleasing to my ear. To my ears, the Solo 2's are very good set of cans. They are a tad better than the UE6000s and much better than either of the original over or on ear Momentums (and I'm a Senn fanboy).

When they hit $100 (currently $130), I'll buy them.

If they're being discounted that much even with their vast and easily pleased fan Bass (sic) then doesn't that indicate they were over priced.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #972 of 2,037
If they're being discounted that much even with their vast and easily pleased fan Bass (sic) then doesn't that indicate they were over priced.

Yup, just like my HD600s and HD650s that I picked up for less than $300 last year!

Btw...ALL headphones are over priced. The only set of cans I've paid MSRP for were my SR60s. I take that back those Grados are not overpriced!

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #973 of 2,037
The reason people here hate Beats is that they sound bad.

Um.... no. Plenty of people hate the sound signature of the HD800 yet there isn't a thread here about "Why all the HD800 hate?"

People hate on Beats here because it is the cool and accepted thing to do once you add "Audiophile" to your personal identity and ego.

If you personally don't like a headphone's sound signature - that does not mean that headphone "sucks", it just means you don't like that headphone.

I find all the comparisons to Beats is only good because you want to look trendy pretty silly. If you want to look trendy in the audiophile world, you buy an HD 650 or an HD 800. Those are both "trendy" in their own ways. Trendy just means fashionable, and guess what? Plenty of "audiophile approved" headphones can be considered flavour of the month fashionable things to own.

There is a lot of double speak and plain as day hypocrisy in this thread. It is quite amusing.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #974 of 2,037
Not Beyerdynamic in UK/Europe where you have your pick for just over £100/ €140 Dt150/250/770/990, Nor the entry level to auiophilia bargain that is the Jays V Jays £25. Not all are overpriced

Point is Beatsy Boys would pay double for de Fones cos der sick innit

(Note sick in this instance is apparently modern British urban slang for something that is the dog's whatsits but I think they just make me physically sick at the sight of them more dog crape. Original use of word sick as in making one...)

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #975 of 2,037
Not Beyerdynamic in UK/Europe where you have your pick for just over £100/ €140 Dt150/250/770/990, Nor the entry level to auiophilia bargain that is the Jays V Jays £25. Not all are overpriced

Point is Beatsy Boys would pay double for de Fones cos der sick innit.

Every headphone you thoroughly enjoy is not overpriced. Every headphone you don't use because you don't like it is overpriced.

The actual cost of manufacture of headphones are pennies. That has nothing to do with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back