Why the Beats Hate?
Jan 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #754 of 2,037
i bought hd600s and a fiio e09k amp, no dac yet, and listened to them for a few weeks and i absolutely love them so far. i went to best buy the other day because i just wanted to demo some bose headphones as a comparison.

the bose ones weren't working but i saw beats and i had to try them. i listened to every single pair they had at best buy and i really couldn't believe they were getting away with this. they'll literally robbing people. all their money must go into marketing and none into actual engineering because they were probably the most muddy headphones i have ever heard. there was no seperation, either. they produce low and mid-bass, cheap-sounding mids, and a huge peak at around 6k or 8k. it basically does a poor job of producing the 3 parts that it produces most, and essentially omits the rest.

if someone buys these as a fashion statement and acknowledges that they could buy way better headphones for the money, i would have no issue. but in my experience, that has never been the case. ive talked to tons of people with beats and they all believe they're paying for studio-accurate sound. i have the first-gen bose in-ears which are very muddy. they respond really well to equalization though, so that's what i always do with poweramp on my phone. and i've made beats owners listen to mine and they've all agreed that the bose are better.

i'm not sure why, but it really bugs me when people spend their money on beats because there's very little room for the subjective when they are so objectively inferior and overpriced. i almost want to stand outside of best buy or the apple store with a high-quality headphone kiosk and urge to people to listen before buying beats.

oh and also another thing, even if people like a ton of bass, that doesn't mean that they need to sacrifice everything else for it. besides, all that bass must be extremely fatiguing, which is probably why a lot of people listen to beats at lower volumes if they are listening for longer periods of time.

rant over. my apologies.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #755 of 2,037
Someone told me that beats are good now and accepted by the head fi community. Is this true? Or are they still overpriced muddy sounding fashion items?

I have a friend whose daughter wants headphones and of course she wants beats. Should I get them safe in the knowledge I am getting her high quality headphones or should I really push something else? I don't want her first pair of cans to be really bad and overpriced.

If I were to get one which ones sound the best? The only ones I have heard are the wireless in ear ones. Can't remember the name but they are the ones for exercising. They sounded ok but I find any exercise phones to sound pretty bad because they make them so you can hear the noises around you like a car honking, which I'm sure is a nice safety feature, but I think totally destroys the sound quality.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #756 of 2,037
Someone told me that beats are good now and accepted by the head fi community. Is this true? Or are they still overpriced muddy sounding fashion items?

I have a friend whose daughter wants headphones and of course she wants beats. Should I get them safe in the knowledge I am getting her high quality headphones or should I really push something else? I don't want her first pair of cans to be really bad and overpriced.

If I were to get one which ones sound the best? The only ones I have heard are the wireless in ear ones. Can't remember the name but they are the ones for exercising. They sounded ok but I find any exercise phones to sound pretty bad because they make them so you can hear the noises around you like a car honking, which I'm sure is a nice safety feature, but I think totally destroys the sound quality.

"He that increasath knowledge increasath sorrow". That's the line I bring up when people as me why I don't like Beats. Because I know there's better stuff out there, and am frustrated when people bring up the 'goodness' of Beats.

Even if Beats made the best headphone tomorrow, people will still hate them. Why? Coz it's hip to. Hell, I love picking on my mates with Beats: they love picking on me for the money I threw at this game. At the end of the day, your money, your decisions.

That beint said, advise them to, and if they're still adamant, meh. Let them have what they want.

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #757 of 2,037

Go for it, she will love them.

The Solo 2 has gotten great reviews, most notable from Tyll.

Keep in mind, she's not just after sound quality - Beats are a trendy fashion accessory. Other models of headphones won't have the same appeal to her, even if they subjectively sound better. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #758 of 2,037

Go for it, she will love them.

The Solo 2 has gotten great reviews, most notable from Tyll.

Keep in mind, she's not just after sound quality - Beats are a trendy fashion accessory. Other models of headphones won't have the same appeal to her, even if they subjectively sound better. 

+1

If she wants Beats, then she won't be happy with anything else.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #761 of 2,037
  As far as I'm aware:

Beats Solo: ON-ear headphones (Supra-aural)

Beats Studio: OVER-ear headphones (Circumaural) 

The Pros and Executives also go over the ear, but I doubt she meant those.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #765 of 2,037
I didn't care for the Beats, then I heard the Mixr with music I was familiar with and instantly really liked the sound. They are also some of the nicest looking pair of small compact headphones out there. Still debating on getting them. I thought the reviews citing their lack of comfort was pretty spot on, and I feel they are just a tad bit too expensive. If they were about $150 they would be the nearly perfect fun on the go headphone for me.

If someone could clear something up about the Mixr, I saw a few websites that stopped selling them and listed them as discontinued. Is it true that they have been discontinued or do some sites do that when they just no longer decide to carry an item? If they have been discontinued, I hope a new Mixr is on the way that addresses the comfort issues, or I can find the current one on discount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back