Why the Beats Hate?
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #541 of 2,037
Anyone with half a brain knows that mixing and mastering is primarily done on near field monitors. Beats is an insulting brand to our hobby. Downright offensive.

It might be true that every studio has Beats headphones because you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if the track doesn't sound good on the most used headphones that people listen to music to. So it would be smart to atleast check how the track sounds a pair of Beats headphones.

I don't know if mastering engineers and producers really listen to their near field monitors (rather doing things because it's supposed to be done this way) because they all degrade the sound quality quite badly with all that compression and limiting. I hear it with high end earphones and headphones.

Apr 19, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #542 of 2,037

It might be true that every studio has Beats headphones because you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if the track doesn't sound good on the most used headphones that people listen to music to. So it would be smart to atleast check how the track sounds a pair of Beats headphones.

I don't know if mastering engineers and producers really listen to their near field monitors (rather doing things because it's supposed to be done this way) because they all degrade the sound quality quite badly with all that compression and limiting. I hear it with high end earphones and headphones.

I think that's a lot more of a trend than anything else. Of course they use near field monitors. Headphones are only for referencing, and the Studios are pretty flat but don't extend that well in the bass. There's no point in testing on them, there are other better headphones that do extend but are also flat anyway.

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #544 of 2,037

You can't be serious… I promise you, engineers are NOT mixing to cater to the "most used headphone" out there. They mix to their professional opinion of what sounds best on their high-end monitor equipment, whatever that happens to be. I doubt most are even aware what the 'most used' headphone is. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #545 of 2,037
I don't like the look of the beats. Haven't heard them personally and i don't really plan to.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #546 of 2,037
You can't be serious… I promise you, engineers are NOT mixing to cater to the "most used headphone" out there. They mix to their professional opinion of what sounds best on their high-end monitor equipment, whatever that happens to be. I doubt most are even aware what the 'most used' headphone is. 

This. lol. I know some producers of EDM, they use headphones strictly for DJing, never for studio use. They always mix and master on near field monitors.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #547 of 2,037
  Just got a pair of the original Studio's and am very happy with them.  They sound better TO ME than the M-100 I replaced them with and being fed by an iPod classic --->Arrow 3G amp they thump with the bass boost on level 1 on the Arrow.  That noise cancellation is a side benefit but I like it. 

Anyway, count me in as very impressed at the value. Which, by the way, I paid $100 for................

I recently procured a pair of silver original Beats Studios from my mom. I actually got it for her as a Mother's Day gift last year, but she said she didn't like them because they were too big. So I got her a pair of Bose OE this year and she likes it a lot more than the Studios. So now I have the Studios again! Which, by the way, I paid $399 for. Wasn't what I had in mind, really.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #548 of 2,037
Honestly when I first heard the original Beats Studios I fell in love with the bass and so did everyone else my friend showed. Granted, I never heard any $100+ non Beats headphones but the OG Studios sound absolutely amazing to me.

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #549 of 2,037

Then mastering engineerings aren't doing their jobs. Their job is make their music sound good on a wide variety of systems. Considering how popular Beats are, it's smart to atleast check if the music sounds good on Beats headphones. I'm not saying it should be used for mastering or mixing, but atleast check the final mastering on it.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #551 of 2,037

Then mastering engineerings aren't doing their jobs. Their job is make their music sound good on a wide variety of systems. Considering how popular Beats are, it's smart to atleast check if the music sounds good on Beats headphones. I'm not saying it should be used for mastering or mixing, but atleast check the final mastering on it.

The most popular headphone is something that will always be changing. What is popular today, may not be in 5 years, hell maybe even 1 year from now. There is no way for an engineer to know how someone will be listening, and there are SO many choices for how to listen beyond just headphones. Also once you press the music and release it, it's done - you can't change it without re-releasing it. So mixing to what the most popular headphone today is ridiculous considering people will be listening to the music years from now, and Beats may not even be around then.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #552 of 2,037

The most popular headphone is something that will always be changing. What is popular today, may not be in 5 years, hell maybe even 1 year from now. There is no way for an engineer to know how someone will be listening, and there are SO many choices for how to listen beyond just headphones. Also once you press the music and release it, it's done - you can't change it without re-releasing it. So mixing to what the most popular headphone today is ridiculous considering people will be listening to the music years from now, and Beats may not even be around then.

You better check it before releasing it. If you are mastering rap & hiphop and don't know that Beats headphones is being used by your core audience, then I think you need to find an other job. It just takes a couple of minutes of your time and can prevent an unpleasant surprise with the core audience.  Maybe there might be some frequencies that work weirdly those Beats headphones that need to be cut and the only way to know it is by listening to it. 

If you are Hans Zimmer and working on a soundtrack for a Hollywood movie, then it would be silly to check Beats headphones since your target audience don't use Beats headphones, that's common knowledge. I'm pretty sure those film studios will do some test runs with the final soundtracks (and movie) in a theater with a select group of people to check the final product before releasing it.

May 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #554 of 2,037
I enjoy using Beats for their unique EQ from time to time. Where the bass is the most interesting part of the track, Beats does a nice job at emphasizing it. Of course, there's the persistent hissing, but I've gotten used to it. If anything, it makes my other headphones sound comparatively better!

May 7, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #555 of 2,037
I have almost reached my one year anniversary as a Head-Fi member and I must revoke any previous comments I made about the beats being decent or unique. They are a total waste of money. Buy the Beyerdynamic dt770 or something similar. I've recommended these to a few friends who are new to hi-fi audio and they now understand why the beats hate....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back