Why... just.. why?!
May 2, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #31 of 67
...did you seriously diss Portapros? They're great headphones. You try to find something better at $30 that's as portable, with a lifetime warranty to boot. I still use mine.

May 2, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #32 of 67
Could you have an intervention, with my son?

May 3, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 67
May 3, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #34 of 67
I think it's just because most people don't care so much about sound quality when they're on the go.
I happily use the stock ibuds for 2-3 hours a day when out and about, they're actually really comfortable, and it's non-isolation is useful when you want to avoid getting hit by cars.
And since when did having better/different audio gear than the masses give you the right to insult other people based on their audio purchases/decisions?
Sometimes, I like to think that the masses care so much about the music, they don't actually care how it sounds like.

May 3, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #35 of 67
Consider tobacco enthusiasts! Plenty of people enjoy smoking pipes, cigars, and cigarettes.. And the the same stuff that is debated here can be debated about tobacco. Read cigar impressions, they're crazier than headphone reviews IMO. People spend tons of money on handcrafted pipes, and not all cigarette smokers settle for the usual Marlboro or Camel. People roll their own cigarettes with higher grade tobacco and papers, or they buy top-tier cigarettes like Lucky Strike, Dunhill, Davidoff.. 

People spend millions on fine watches, tell them that a digital Casio tells time even more accurately and they'll agree! To those people, their Piaget or Cartier (or whatever) watches are beautiful pieces of art and craftsmanship that happen to tell time.

Another huge group of people will never settle for a prebuilt computer, or even an off-the-shelf computer case.. Here are some examples: http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/

Every single hobby has its own 'head-fi'! 
Want to see a crazy one? Check out geekhack. It's head-fi for keyboards. 
floatsmile.png

Quote:
See, I get that. Opinions are opinions. But when someone tells you that smoking will take 10 years off your life, you should consider to stop smoking. (A bit exaggurated, perhaps)

May 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #36 of 67

Quote:
Great argument, that totally makes sense. Although, I find it slightly different. When I use flashlights, I use it for important things. Like finding something in the dark and whatnot. But even those who listens to music with crappy headphones, do it for fun. And correct me if I'm wrong, flashlight differences are mostly how strong they are, no?

Nope the flashlight comparison was spot on, for example the globe type used and reflector play a great role in the quality of the light and how it can focus the beam.

For example I use a $105 Led Lenser P5 every day, every one else asks why I paid so much for a tiny torch when I could of got one for $5 that would "do the same job". I also have a x21 that retails for $699.

Now here's something to think about a normal flashlight the bulb gives of light by electrically heating a filament (like your every day house light globe), since the filament needs to be heated to give off light there is something like a 0.2 seconds gap before the bulb actually emits light. Now a LED is slightly faster and takes about 1/70 of a second to light up which isn't that much of a difference on paper. But while the normal bulb is still warming the LED's light has already covered the distance of the earth's circumference which is over 40,000 kms!

Maybe now you will get why your friends don't care about quality headphones, like you don't care about quality torches because they don't know any better.

Also I don't use my x21 for anything much more then having some fun.

I find this video normally helps people understand abit more :)

May 3, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #37 of 67
I see many implying that I somehow stated that I'm better than everyone I was talking about? That is not what I meant.

About the flashlight. Reading what you just said made me think. Now personally I don't even own a flashligt. But if I were too have one, a crappy and crappy flashligt for 10$. And everytime I used it I was like "ZOMG SO MUCH LIGHT!" and then one day, YOU told me that there are way much better flashlights for the same or just a slightly higher price, I wouldn't even hesitate to go buy the new one.

That is what I mean. I stated in my post that ofcourse everyone has their opinion and their choice in life. But when someone gives you fact about something they know alot about, you should listen.

Sure, many people don't have the same income as others. But as I mentioned in my post, some of the people I know have no financial issues, whatsoever. Leading me to wonder certain things.

Again, I don't want to bash anyone, and if I somehow did I am sorry. I truly hope you see what I really meant.

May 3, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #38 of 67
When people buy Beats and we wonder why, consider that there might be a few among thousands of photographers in photog forums who may at this moment be ranting about why we (everyone on FB and even some on audiophile forums) like posting pics online when we use crappy pocket or celphone cameras instead of a full-frame sensor camera with a good prime lens and proper lighting equipment. Similarly, there might be people who think we're stupid because not only do they have nice cars, but modified and properly insured them, but we'd sooner buy thousands of dollars worth of portable Hi-Fi gear then take public transport where our bags can just be grabbed by some dick on the bus/street. Oh, and in case your grand daddy's TT and amps didn't survive storage, your grandma's probably gonna give the males a mouthful after she hands oer her jewelry to your mom or sister.

In short, it's all relative. The effects of mass-marketing shouldn't all be seen as all-encompassingly negative. Creative may suck now but we have to admit how much the iPod contributed to Head-Fi, while now we have niche manufacturers for all products - from amps to DACs to orthodynamics and even portable players and CD players - when around a decade ago there were only amps, and those were either cheap CMOYs or amps worth several hundred bucks each.

May 3, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #39 of 67

Quote:
I see many implying that I somehow stated that I'm better than everyone I was talking about? That is not what I meant.

About the flashlight. Reading what you just said made me think. Now personally I don't even own a flashligt. But if I were too have one, a crappy and crappy flashligt for 10$. And everytime I used it I was like "ZOMG SO MUCH LIGHT!" and then one day, YOU told me that there are way much better flashlights for the same or just a slightly higher price, I wouldn't even hesitate to go buy the new one.

That is what I mean. I stated in my post that ofcourse everyone has their opinion and their choice in life. But when someone gives you fact about something they know alot about, you should listen.

Sure, many people don't have the same income as others. But as I mentioned in my post, some of the people I know have no financial issues, whatsoever. Leading me to wonder certain things.

Again, I don't want to bash anyone, and if I somehow did I am sorry. I truly hope you see what I really meant.

Son, what you are experiencing here are the side of effects of SCIENCE! Natural Selection is at work here. I like the way you think. Have you considered a job at Aperture Labs? I think you would make and excellent...test subject employee here. No, seriously though, we need employees. My two "Heimlich counter-maneuver" and "Take-a-wish" ideas completely bombed and now all I have left is my theory of inter-dimensional travel to work with.

May 4, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:
Son, what you are experiencing here are the side of effects of SCIENCE! Natural Selection is at work here. I like the way you think. Have you considered a job at Aperture Labs? I think you would make and excellent...test subject employee here. No, seriously though, we need employees. My two "Heimlich counter-maneuver" and "Take-a-wish" ideas completely bombed and now all I have left is my theory of inter-dimensional travel to work with.

Cave Johnson.  We're done here.

May 4, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #41 of 67
Some men just want to watch the world burn
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #42 of 67
I completely agree with the torch analogy. I own a 4Sevens Preon Revo and I keep it on my keychain and as a fun torch I have a modified 6C maglite sporting 6 eneloops and 5 Cree XR-E R2's. I'm nowhere near audiophilia but i appreciate iBuds for what they are, they actually sound not that bad.

May 4, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #44 of 67
genocide 174 please post in my thread about the AKG K81/518 DJ/LE. Post a review/impressions/pics. Also i feel sorry for people that dont know what good heaphones are, and try and help them. Some people are so blind tho.

May 4, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #45 of 67
I am sorry to do this...

The K518 DJ/LE has fragile and thin cable and I do not expect the cable to hold up very long with normal outdoor and indoor use. Does that make it a bad headphone? Not yet but overall for the product that cable is a minus that counts. Being the owner of a K518 I started modifying mine. 

I did not like the Apple ear bud I once tried. My PX200 II sounded much clearer and more musical but if anyone prefers an ear bud, enjoy it. That is it but if your ear bud is leaking music in the train and it annoys me do not be surprised if I ask you to lower the volume. Bad isolation eh? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back