Why... just.. why?!
May 2, 2011 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Genocide174

100+ Head-Fier
I am nowhere close to being an audiophile. But I DO know what good sound is.

Why do people go around with these crappy apple earbuds? Or these skullcandy's, beats by dre etc. Just why? I mean, as a head-fi member I can't stop myself from trying to talk some of my friends into trying some more worthy headphones. But they keep sticking to what THEY know. Why is it so hard to realise that what they know might not be correct?

When I bought my K518LE for portability, and used them for school. My friend came to me and randomly started talking about the beats studio. He said that the studio's are great and whatnot. It just pissed me off, that people could be so ignorant. And so I spent the next hour trying to convince to him how they are overpriced and are nothing compared to other headphones in the same price range. Then he rambled on about how nice they look.

Another example is the KOSS portapro. Not the best headphones, but cheap. I know so many friends who have absolutely no financial issues that uses these headphones. Now, what they buy is obviously up to them. But what annoys me, is that everytime they brake, they just go and buy the same headphone with a different color. WHY in gods name would you buy a headphone that keeps breaking? And one time my friend actually told me that once when he was riding the train, someone came up to him and told him to lower the volume. Personally I hate disturbing other people with MY music. But some people just don't care about quality, or money for that matter.

I know, I shouldn't expect everyone to think like I do, but some things are just too obvious. I know this is just random flaming but I just seriously need an answer as to why.

May 2, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 67
I don't really have a problem with the stock apple earbuds you get with iDevices.  They are free afterall, and they do have a flat response if you don't take into account that they have no sub-bass whatsoever.  I never had a pair break on me either.

I can't support skullcandy or beats though, unless it's aviator.

May 2, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 67
Because not everyone has the same hobbies as you do.

A lot of people buy skullcandies because they look cool. A lot of people use the stock ibuds because they want everyone to know they have an Apple product.

A post like this is no different than some adult expressing their hatred for Justin Bieber, when his intended target audience are preteen girls, and not you.

May 2, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #4 of 67

Quote:
Because not everyone has the same hobbies as you do.

A lot of people buy skullcandies because they look cool. A lot of people use the stock ibuds because they want everyone to know they have an Apple product.

A post like this is no different than some adult expressing their hatred for Justin Bieber, when his intended target audience are preteen girls, and not you.

I don't really see it that way. Music taste is a subjective thing, everybody has their taste. But bad headphones are bad headphones.

May 2, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 67

I don't really see it that way. Music taste is a subjective thing, everybody has their taste. But bad headphones are bad headphones.

Yes, bad headphones are bad headphones. My point is, the majority of people don't care for audio quality. As long as sound comes out, it's all good.

For example, what do you use as a flashlight? Probably don't know or don't care, right? As long as there's light that comes out of it, then it is working that's all it matters. Now, go to candlepower forums and you'll have the EXACT same threads from people asking "Why do people keep on using these crappy flashlights?". No difference. Then you'll understand why people don't care about upgrading from their ibuds.

May 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #7 of 67

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, bad headphones are bad headphones. My point is, the majority of people don't care for audio quality. As long as sound comes out, it's all good.

For example, what do you use as a flashlight? Probably don't know or don't care, right? As long as there's light that comes out of it, then it is working that's all it matters. Now, go to candlepower forums and you'll have the EXACT same threads from people asking "Why do people keep on using these crappy flashlights?". No difference. Then you'll understand why people don't care about upgrading from their ibuds.

Great argument, that totally makes sense. Although, I find it slightly different. When I use flashlights, I use it for important things. Like finding something in the dark and whatnot. But even those who listens to music with crappy headphones, do it for fun. And correct me if I'm wrong, flashlight differences are mostly how strong they are, no?

May 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 67

Bad food is bad food, but plenty of us eat it daily, whist foodies scoff at anything less than the best.

Priorities are elected, and everyone's are different.

May 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 67

Quote:
Bad food is bad food, but plenty of us eat it daily, whist foodies scoff at anything less than the best.

Priorities are elected, and everyone's are different.

See, I get that. Opinions are opinions. But when someone tells you that smoking will take 10 years off your life, you should consider to stop smoking. (A bit exaggurated, perhaps)

May 2, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #14 of 67
Well, all doctors should know that, but then most doctors I know smoke. 
wink.gif

Quote:
See, I get that. Opinions are opinions. But when someone tells you that smoking will take 10 years off your life, you should consider to stop smoking. (A bit exaggurated, perhaps)

May 2, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 67
What I've come to find is that the only reason people don't consider "good" headphones to go along with their portable player is because many of them have simply not heard what "good" headphones are capable of. For instance, my best friend tried on my IE8's for the first time, and the following week, shows up with a pair of SE535's. He's been an audiophile since. On the other hand, I've had other friends try my IE8's and their reaction was simply "meh, too expensive. I'm okay with my stock headphones." Not to mention, budget is the ultimate factor under all circumstances. It really does boil down to taste, and some people plug in their headphones, knowing just what to look for in terms of SQ, while others are satisfied with just the stock buds playing, with little regards to SQ.

Though I'll tell you this much, it isn't too hard to convince anyone to purchase "great" cans/in-ear. Just ask them to pick a song that they absolutely love listening to, but using your best headphones, and I guarantee you that if their budget isn't holding them back, nothing else matters! In fact, I was on a flight years ago with my Shure E2C's, and two women sitting besides me asked me what style of earphones they were. rather than say much, I asked them to plug them in and give them a go. It took her maybe half a minute before she pulled them out and said, "write down the brand name for me so I can order them when I get home!" And the rest is history.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back