Why is everyone trying to get rid of their AKG701?
Jun 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #151 of 192
Brand new, almost new K701 treble is really crazy...to the point that its hurting my ears.....but after a year and a half of use....wow!....its so smooth....smooth like chocolate!!!

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #153 of 192

Quote:
Are the AKG Q 701's still good?
quote back please :)

Spoiler Alert:  I've only heard K701 for five minutes three months ago. 
tongue_smile.gif
  I got my Q701 about a month ago and have been breaking them in.  The highs were a little rough at first but now they're sounding better and more towards the neutral side of things.  I have Grados that are a tad hot(!) but pretty soon I will do a serious comparison since they are close to the same price. I have a feeling I will keep them both.  So, the answer is, they are good, IMHO.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #154 of 192
Quote:
Are the AKG Q 701's still good?
quote back please :)

Not only good, really that good! In fact, I'm thinking of upgrading my source now! Currently its only a Sony Discman + Fiio E9 = Good Sound already.
biggrin.gif

Its really true about the statement that K701 will do good after hundreds of hours of burning. Yeah!

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #155 of 192
As "good" is subjective, I recommend you volunteer what music you're listening to, as someone with different musical tastes may not enjoy them as much. 
smile.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #156 of 192
I listen to the stuff listed in my profile.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #157 of 192
Quote:
As "good" is subjective, I recommend you volunteer what music you're listening to, as someone with different musical tastes may not enjoy them as much. 
smile.gif

Good, really good on classic songs, unplugged CDs, music that have big to bigger soundstages....a few current generation music...music that have emotional vocals required....love songs are great with K701 too!
biggrin.gif

P.S. Really that you will be emotionally carried by K701 on songs that singers really gave their true emotions when they sing the songs. This is a trait I found recently with K701. In date, this is the reason why I do love K701.....I'm sorry I'm emotionally carried out by the music! Yes!
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #158 of 192
I am new to this scene. When i started looking for a good headphone i ended getting the k701. Yes they are difficult but good. Even as a newbee i can still see there is so much potential that i am not getting.  Now to get something that will drive them properly with out draining my account.  Any suggestions that would do the JOB for the K701?

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #159 of 192
Fiio E9 is affordable and its able to handle the AKG 701 with ease. it goes for 119ish on amazon. Its on sell atm. Matrix M amp is another choice but it prolly more then you would wanna spend as it goes for $249.  I have the Fiio E9 my self tho I have the 702s which are the detechable cable ver of your headphones. It has no problems with driving it.

Tho some people here will downplay it because it doesnt cost the same as amps 2x it price. or those with huge wallets will scoff at it like its nothing without even using it.

You can roll it op-amps but the screws it uses are Torx T5, Tho I know in mine the E7 dock part is in the way so you would need a flexable screw driver for the 4 mini screws to move it out the way if you want to opamp for the headphones out.

The Matrix M amp would be easier if you want to beable to change the op-amp as it just slides off from pictures. after you unscrew it of course.

For the Fiio E9 use whatever Gain setting you need to get to 9 o clock on the volume as thats the sweet spot on the amp, From 9 to 11 which I was told on another thread.

Sep 4, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #160 of 192
I'll second the E9, very inexpensive but good option for the K701. The E9 definitely swings above its weight class, it's a good solid starter amp that will scale to almost any headphone challenge. Sure there are better amps out there but all of them are at least twice the price. The only really glaringly bad thing about the E9 is its scratchy volume pot. Which is not a big deal for me, but for others it's a dealbreaker. But at $100 you really can't complain for the sound you are getting.

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #163 of 192

Quote:
I really liked the K701, but I sold it to get the K702 coz I prefer the black colour lol

Is there a huge difference on sonic signature? 

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #165 of 192
I think the 702s are more consumer-oriented. Most people don't like the white colour of k701. And only audiophile will play with cable swapping of k702, proffesionals don't care that much about sound nuances of their monitorinq equipment, especially headphones :)
Comparing the FR graphs of k701 and k702 I see an attempt to fix the bass deficiency:
http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php?graphID%5B0%5D=703&graphID%5B1%5D=2621&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back