Why is detachable headphone cables not a standard feature amongst expensive headphones?
Feb 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #32 of 43
I've wondered this too. I wish the more expensive headphones had this. If you mess up your cable on your $1,000 headphones it would be a nice feeling to replace the cable instead of replacing the headphone.

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #33 of 43
Some othe VM audio Elux headphones have removable cables. 

Most Gearonics heaphones have removable cables. 

Nakamichi NC40 
Nakamichi Nk780 
Nakamichi NK2030 

I remeber seing some phones made by some chinese company called "Fiener" that had removable jacks, they looked similar to the Beats/Gearonics phones. 

I'm surprised at how few midrange cans have a removable cable, I do think that $40.00 and up you should carry at least one or two models with a removable cable.. Hmmm.

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #34 of 43
  I've wondered this too. I wish the more expensive headphones had this. If you mess up your cable on your $1,000 headphones it would be a nice feeling to replace the cable instead of replacing the headphone.

You don't have replace the headphone; you simply recable it.

I prefer non-detachable because the jacks usually stick out on the detachable ones and sometimes bump into my shoulder(s). I've never had a broken cable in 15 years except for $10 Koss clip ons (two for two! 
angry_face.gif
).

Generally, single-sided entry models aren't detachable and double-sided ones are.

Apr 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #35 of 43

You don't have replace the headphone; you simply recable it.

I prefer non-detachable because the jacks usually stick out on the detachable ones and sometimes bump into my shoulder(s). I've never had a broken cable in 15 years except for $10 Koss clip ons (two for two! 
angry_face.gif
).

Generally, single-sided entry models aren't detachable and double-sided ones are.

Well it's allways nice to be able to change from unbalanced to balanced cables etc. :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #36 of 43
Nowadays single entry detachable is getting more and more common. I always do a detachable mod on my headphones. I like being able to change out my cables. I don't want to be walking around with 6 foot of my 10 foot cable ziptied. F that.

<3

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #37 of 43
Nowadays single entry detachable is getting more and more common. I always do a detachable mod on my headphones. I like being able to change out my cables. I don't want to be walking around with 6 foot of my 10 foot cable ziptied. F that.

<3

Damn, now i'm spending my 500th post on you. Damn nice mod, looks like it would look like that from factory almost :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #39 of 43
Nowadays single entry detachable is getting more and more common. I always do a detachable mod on my headphones.

That is beautiful. How long did it take you to wire everything up? Would you mind posting a parts list and/or any gotchas you encountered while doing this? I've got a pair of 770s that will likely be neglected in the coming months due to my new Audeze purchases, but it would certainly be interesting to do some testing with a rewire for balanced cables. I'm curious to see how they'd sound with something that can generate larger voltage swings like my Mjolnir.

Apr 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #40 of 43
Hard to believe at times but are people new to headphones ? every cable I've ever had on every headphone I've ever owned goes on one side eventually from bending etc wear and tear
Thick (loops cables) thin every single cable I have ever had goes so the idea that thicker cables on beyers last simply isn't true.
It should be bog standard on expensive headphone to have a detachable cable.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #41 of 43
  That is beautiful. How long did it take you to wire everything up? Would you mind posting a parts list and/or any gotchas you encountered while doing this? I've got a pair of 770s that will likely be neglected in the coming months due to my new Audeze purchases, but it would certainly be interesting to do some testing with a rewire for balanced cables. I'm curious to see how they'd sound with something that can generate larger voltage swings like my Mjolnir.

It didn't take too long, maybe an hour. I had to make the hole on the right cup and had to widen the one on the left. 

The mini-xlr chassis connectors I used were TB3M (part number).
and the femalein line connectors I used were TA3FLX.
I use BTG copper wire for the internals, and for the cable I made for them. 
I used a small Dremel rotary tool to wide and make holes in the cups. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #42 of 43
I'm in a similar boat, I like my headphones to have removable cables. The stock cable is great for at home, but at work, or at the mixing console I don't want 3m of cable dragging around. 1.25m is the length I want for portable use, which isn't an option without modifying headphones with permanent cables.

At work I also have access to quite nice cable that is nicer than just about any stock cable I've seen with a couple of exceptions.

Here's my T70's, the reason they don't do it is it's a lot easer to make a hole and run cable through it, a connector is extra cost and extra design. It was about a 4 hour process for me. They store a lot better now too, no kinked cable in the stock carrying case.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #43 of 43
The Lemos are so sexy.

I've done detachable mods for people on M50s, DT770's, 880's and 990's, so it was pretty routine for me for my own DT770. 

I really don't like having to twist up cables to make them shorter. I saw a headfier that I added on facebook post a picture of his Q701 with it's cable braided up and just thought it was hideous. I'd rather just swap out for another cable.

I found it kind of funny a couple months ago when Audio Technica started making the M50x (removable cable version). There were and still are people making a bunch of money doing detachable mods on the M50s, so Audio Technica wanted to put that money in their pocket instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back