Why Doesn't AKG Have a Top of the Line Headphone?
Oct 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #31 of 76
Harmon buys companies and really AKG is under their control. They left alone Revel because Kevin Voecks is a talented speaker designer and if they bother him he will bolt. AKG is  not developing any reference products because Harmon is happy about sales of the products they produce. Look at Infinity speakers mass market low end now . Besides putting the Q was cheaper and they can sell another 50000 Green 701 for the masses. Sadly  the end of a great company

Oct 4, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #34 of 76
Harmon seems to be fine with their current system. The current "top of the line" AKG headphones are at a price that they will be able to continue profiting from them for a long time. Until the new technology of other brands can compete value-wise, Harmon probably won't feel the need to change their strategy. And as it is, the newer technology from the likes of Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic is expensive; it doesn't matter if the headphones perform at their value, because they're a good four times as expensive as AKG's "top of the line" headphones. Not only that, but their previous top line headphones are at least as expensive as AKG's, if not more.

Oct 4, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #35 of 76

Quote:
Alex there you go again the LCd2 do not trounce all the other flagships. Maybe the cans you have owned T1,HD800 and other all have their strong and weak points until you heard everything you need to be less of a fanboy.

I said objectively they trounce other flagships, which they do. Didn't say they necessarily sounded any better, which was exactly my point: Technical advancements are hard to quantify in a human manner when everyone has a different opinion about what perfect sound is and a different set of ears.

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #36 of 76

Quote:
I said objectively they trounce other flagships, which they do. Didn't say they necessarily sounded any better, which was exactly my point: Technical advancements are hard to quantify in a human manner when everyone has a different opinion about what perfect sound is and a different set of ears.

I agree everyone has different preferences and different ears. have you heard all the flagships? Have you heard different amp combos with all those flagship? If you have not and we had three people over here with all of them and many different amps and we all agreed the LCD2 did not trounce all flagships. Maybe if it had air and space and depth it would but that's where its weak. When you said trounce other flagships you are saying there are better than the rest which IMO they are in the same class. Ever see Stereophile Class A components they all have their strong and weak points. There are different qualities of each is what makes this fun. Perfect they nor anything else is. I have yet to see any stereo component measure perfect anywhere. Now you may prefer them over other cans and that is fine. But there are people who also do not like them. I own them so you know I like them but I have not sold any other cans which says I am still happy with them

Oct 4, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #38 of 76

Quote:
I agree everyone has different preferences and different ears. have you heard all the flagships? Have you heard different amp combos with all those flagship? If you have not and we had three people over here with all of them and many different amps and we all agreed the LCD2 did not trounce all flagships. Maybe if it had air and space and depth it would but that's where its weak. When you said trounce other flagships you are saying there are better than the rest which IMO they are in the same class. Ever see Stereophile Class A components they all have their strong and weak points. There are different qualities of each is what makes this fun. Perfect they nor anything else is. I have yet to see any stereo component measure perfect anywhere. Now you may prefer them over other cans and that is fine. But there are people who also do not like them. I own them so you know I like them but I have not sold any other cans which says I am still happy with them

Frank, I don't you are getting what I mean. I am simply stating that based on the available measurements, one can say that objectively the LCD-2 are  "the best" headphone in technical terms.

I am saying it better than the rest, but only in terms of measurements and technical characteristics. 

That is all. It is clear they are not the end all and be all, as they could do many things better, and not everyone loves them. Personally I find most of the flaws are in the physical design and execution, but that is my opinion.

But people were discussing what improvement in a headphone actually means in terms of human perception, and I was simply giving another example of how hard it is to state anything is truly an improvement, when even "the best" does not universally sound the best.

I was not stating that the LCD-2 was actually the best sounding headphone... thats not even possible. It is possible that it is technically the best headphone though.

See what I mean? I am not trying to be stubborn, I just think you are reading my posts the wrong way here. I like my LCD-2, maybe too much but I am not trying to state crazy things here.

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #39 of 76
So when are the LCD-3, O3, HD850, K901, K2000, X5000, T-2, and Ed. 10 coming out?

Oh right, Edition 10 next month 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #40 of 76

Quote:
So when are the LCD-3, O3, HD850, K901, K2000, X5000, T-2, and Ed. 10 coming out?

Oh right, Edition 10 next month 
smily_headphones1.gif

R-20, L4000, AD3000 ^

Oct 5, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #43 of 76
I was wondering this today, i was thinking about how much praise AKG discontinued headphones get, K501, K601,K1000, even K240 Sextetts. And I thought ,"wait why would they discontinue their best?

Hi everyone,wanted to ask is the K601 discontined by AKG as well?Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back