Why does the HD800 cause such polarizing opinions....
Feb 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #166 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think HD800 does poor with bass in all spectrum. It's just a range of spectrum that it's more flatter than the other headphones. So, if you are coming from those headphones, then you start to think HD800 lacks the bass you desire..

Well it's a good thing to me actually, i dislike boomy midbass, especially with bass heavy music. I'm just wondering if the bass with HD800 sounds similar to electrostats based on these comments.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #167 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be clear, however, in my post I was *NOT* talking about "Fun" headphones. I don't believe that it's a question of supremely accurate or wildly distorted with nothing in between, as such a statement like yours would seem to imply. The Beyerdynamic T1 is a great example of that. Very close to the HD800 in accuracy, but manages to make more recordings sound good, IMO.

Anyway, the good news continues to be that there are choices for all types of goals and desires.

The whole "fun" thing probably came from my comments, and the origin of the concept came from some comments Uncle Erik made about his switch from RS1s to the HD-800s regarding the tonal tricks used with gear to make it more impressive when listening, at the expense of honesty in the presentation.

The T1 would be good to introduce into the discussion more now that people are starting to get them. I am thinking how I might justify buying a pair actually. I'm having a weird week, as all I wanted to listen with before were the Magnums, but now it's the HD-800s, and with the same music. The HE-5s just lost the battle as to which headphone drew the shortest straw as well.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #168 of 183
Yeah, the HE-5, as good as they are, lost all their head-time once the T1's arrived. I would listen to the T1's exclusively, if they were just as good as they are AND closed. But since for home I need a closed cans, it's T1's at work, and DX1000 at home. But the T1's are better than the DX1000...and every other headphone I have ever heard personally (JMO, of course).

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #169 of 183
I don't know.... Do we need MOAR bass really? is the bass on stock HD800 not enough? >.>

Well, since my next most favorite headphones are K701, probably I prefer bass-lean sounds.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #170 of 183
How does the HD800 gel with the Corda Symphony or Concerto? (if I get these I will mod them with the velvet mod)

Source Asus Xonar soundcard.

As I understand they are component dependent.

Jul 29, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #171 of 183
Agree with the article.
I dont find HD800 bright at all.
For the bass ,I love bass and I love D7000,DT990,DX1000 and PS1000 but HD800 bass maybe not as much as those cans but it's fast and tight.Sometimes,I prefer HD800 bass to PS1000's
HD800 do everything just about right to me.
regular_smile .gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #172 of 183

Quote:
Agree with the article.
For the bass ,I love bass and I love D7000,DT990,DX1000 and PS1000 but HD800 bass maybe not as much as those cans but it's fast and tight.Sometimes,I prefer HD800 bass to PS1000's
regular_smile .gif

I totally agree with you. I own the D7000, ESW10JPN, DX1000, a woodied APS cable D2000, APS cable Edition 9, Zeus cable T1 and Complement cable HD800. From all of them the HD800 are my favorite.
The are accurate, fast great bass and are the one that emulate listrening to spakers the best.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 29, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #174 of 183

Agree with the article.
regular_smile .gif

I know what you mean.  The PS1000 has that 100 Hz hump thump that punches you in the chest (great stuff, even off an iPod or computer) but the HD800 has that grumble that drives so much lower.  I like 'em both, but each has its own charms and uses.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #175 of 183

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be clear, however, in my post I was *NOT* talking about "Fun" headphones. I don't believe that it's a question of supremely accurate or wildly distorted with nothing in between, as such a statement like yours would seem to imply. The Beyerdynamic T1 is a great example of that. Very close to the HD800 in accuracy, but manages to make more recordings sound good, IMO.

Anyway, the good news continues to be that there are choices for all types of goals and desires.

The whole "fun" thing probably came from my comments, and the origin of the concept came from some comments Uncle Erik made about his switch from RS1s to the HD-800s regarding the tonal tricks used with gear to make it more impressive when listening, at the expense of honesty in the presentation.

The T1 would be good to introduce into the discussion more now that people are starting to get them. I am thinking how I might justify buying a pair actually. I'm having a weird week, as all I wanted to listen with before were the Magnums, but now it's the HD-800s, and with the same music. The HE-5s just lost the battle as to which headphone drew the shortest straw as well.

I don't mind the tricks or tweaks of "colored" sound as long as it fits the music it's trying to cover.  The problem is that the more colored the sound, the more you have to match it with the right music.  Otherwise, you're hobbling performance.  I want fun as much as the next guy - maybe more.  What I don't want is a track that doesn't sound quite right because the wrong elements are getting emphasized.  There are times when my PS1000 is a little boomy for the music.  There were times when my T1 was a bit too warm for a different selection.  The one thing you can say about the HD800 is that, being neutral, its the most flexible.  If you want to tweak it with an EQ, you can always do that.  It required more bass boost than the T1 but I could always raise the boost boost; I didn't have a  switch that would let me attenuate the bass when there was plenty on the track and that extra emphasis in the headphones actually got in the way.

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #176 of 183

Quote:
 The one thing you can say about the HD800 is that, being neutral, its the most flexible.  If you want to tweak it with an EQ, you can always do that.  It required more bass boost than the T1 but I could always raise the boost boost; I didn't have a  switch that would let me attenuate the bass when there was plenty on the track and that extra emphasis in the headphones actually got in the way.

+1

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #177 of 183
Bilavideo, my complaint with the colored gear is that I've found myself burning out on the sound. There was a time when I could barely get the RS-1 off my head, but it eventually turned out like a favorite song or food that you've burned out on. I think a lot of people see burning out as a reason to upgrade, usually to a more expensive piece of colored gear.

The gear I haven't burned out on is the neutral stuff. I don't get colorations off the HD-800, DT48, K-1000, or the ESL-63s. None of them have that passionate "falling in love" like colored gear gives you, but I know I can just listen without having to worry about the gear.

So far, it's been a very stable setup for me. I spent the first few years here buying a ton of different stuff. But I haven't bought anything aside from DIY parts since (I think) June 2009. There are a few appealing products out there, but most of the desire is gone. Plans are to finish off a dozen audio projects (I'll actually have a workshop later this year!) then relax and work more on the music collection. I might be several years until I buy anything else, like when Stax or Sennheiser releases a new flagship. Possibly AKG, if they can match or better the K-1000.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #178 of 183
Nothing to do with the actual topic here but just that it always makes me wonder with the HD800 how they can get away with quoting "The Worlds Best Headphone", I wouldnt have thought that would be allowed in advertising, who says they are the worlds best?

I liked the sound when I auditioned a pair recently though.

Jul 30, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #179 of 183

Quote:
Nothing to do with the actual topic here but just that it always makes me wonder with the HD800 how they can get away with quoting "The Worlds Best Headphone", I wouldnt have thought that would be allowed in advertising, who says they are the worlds best?

I liked the sound when I auditioned a pair recently though.

It is very much dependent on the laws in the respective country it is advertised at. In Australia, the more popular name of Burger King cannot be used as there is no proof that it is indeed the king of burgers and therefore, here, it is called Hungry Jacks, but in other countries, it still maintains the name of Burger King.

Many many products profess to be the best at something but the consumers are left to weed out what really is truth and what is myth or mere extrapolation of facts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back