Why does the HD800 cause such polarizing opinions....
Jan 31, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #61 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed8 is a triumph when it comes to portable technology. And in fact they sound very much like an R10 but with more of an exagerrated and fun presentation. They certainly are not as good as the R10...I just want to make that clear:) But for a headphone to sound as good as they do straight out of the iPod or portable amp is just stunning......

The R10s are simply more transparent by a significant measure and the soundstage is more realistic. They also are less bassy, but have more deep deep bass.

Seems like the R10 is more like the Pro 900 then
wink.gif
. I agree about soundstage and transparency not being the best side of the ed 8:s hench they get categorized as a fun phone
smily_headphones1.gif

Would probably take the Pro 900 since it´s a safe bet but I would take a listen at that HD 800 before the boat sinks first!

Jan 31, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #62 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does distinguish it is the number of boring threads about it including this one.

As usual, it takes an Aussie to cut through the b......t.

Jan 31, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #64 of 183
Quote:

I will post this just to confuse you.......I would take the R10 because they are more beautiful and I would want to remember the beauty of the world:)

but I think the HD800 are my prefered headphone:)

: ) I knew you would come up with an answer like this. I thought you would've said that you would take the HD800 because it is more corrosion resistant. That would've been confusing too. Well, at least with the R10 on a desert island, you would be inspired to make your hut out of the best materials possible; like framing your windows with coconut shells.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #65 of 183
Quote:

What does distinguish it is the number of boring threads about it including this one.

Why so bitter? Do you work for Beyerdynamic?

Every good headphone has a lot of "boring" threads about it.............you're in the headphone section of head-fi.org......oops?

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #66 of 183
Sennheiser headphones are, in my experience, so neutral as to place more emphasis on source quality and equalization.

I haven't personally heard the 800s, but if they continue this trend then that may explain the polarization. Not everybody considers "real" sound to be "good" sound, especially since headphones and speakers are classically the only components where tonal color is considered acceptable, and even desirable.

They also look ridiculous. For $1400, I'd rather not have my headphones look like a cheap Reebok shoe. All that plastic...the D shape...and then that little ostentatious, useless strip of steel at the top -- not for me. Counter this with the minimal, futuristic Ultrasones, the fresh-from-the-studio AKGs, the earthy throwback Grados, and the sheer class of the polished wood and leather of the Denons and ATs, the HD-800s are a hot tranny mess. Yeah I know the driver is huge and beautiful, but *******...

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #67 of 183
I'm not a fan of their design, either. But once you see them with your own eyes and hold them in your hands, you will notice that they're better made than most "luxurious" looking headphones. They also incorporate more metal on invisible parts, while most other manufacturers use metal as an aesthetic design element on outer parts. It's the same with the headband: this "useless strip of steel" IS the headband itself which is covered for the most part by plastic!

Try it yourself, you will be surprised - I was!

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #68 of 183
Aren't you forgetting the amps and dacs that your cans are connected to? How can your cans be considered to be giving neutral sound unless your amp and dac is doing the same thing? People here speak of their amp and dac sound signatures pretty much as they speak of their headphones (tube vs SS sound anyone?). You just have a feeling that you're close and it gives you the vibe eh?
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting accuracy is very viable.. At least accuracy of the source & how the engineers mastered it.. There are headphones that are made for measurements, reserach labs, hospitals, hearing testing, ENG, etc.. So all headphones are not created equal.. Audiophile headphones are made for the consumer market & listening pleasure.. Others like pro studio headphones/ audio metric headphones are not, & are more content with accuracy, tonal balance, reliability, transparency. They are made for a entirely different market. HP1/2/DT48/DT100/240DF/CD900ST & others..

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #69 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser headphones are, in my experience, so neutral as to place more emphasis on source quality and equalization.

I haven't personally heard the 800s, but if they continue this trend then that may explain the polarization. Not everybody considers "real" sound to be "good" sound, especially since headphones and speakers are classically the only components where tonal color is considered acceptable, and even desirable.

They also look ridiculous. For $1400, I'd rather not have my headphones look like a cheap Reebok shoe. All that plastic...the D shape...and then that little ostentatious, useless strip of steel at the top -- not for me. Counter this with the minimal, futuristic Ultrasones, the fresh-from-the-studio AKGs, the earthy throwback Grados, and the sheer class of the polished wood and leather of the Denons and ATs, the HD-800s are a hot tranny mess. Yeah I know the driver is huge and beautiful, but *******...

X2!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not a fan of their design, either. But once you see them with your own eyes and hold them in your hands, you will notice that they're better made than most "luxurious" looking headphones. They also incorporate more metal on invisible parts, while most other manufacturers use metal as an aesthetic design element on outer parts. It's the same with the headband: this "useless strip of steel" IS the headband itself which is covered for the most part by plastic!

I did and I did not come to the same conclusion. I think everyone here knows that Sennheiser raised the ante significantly with their driver technology. Hopefully they started a race that every headphone manufacturer will have to try to catch up to and surpass. As for the rest of the headphone, I felt like they were made for Toys-R-Us.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #70 of 183
I largely agree with DavidMahlers eloquent original post. To me the HD 800 is the most honest and realistic headphone I've heard, and the most comfortable I've worn (and I've heard nearly all of the big shots except for the Qualia and the HP 1000). It seems logical to me that such an unvarnished reproduction doesn't match everyone's sonic ideal and doesn't form the ideal synergy with every setup and every recording. It's exactly the same as in the speaker world: The most neutral speakers aren't the most successful ones.

To be honest: As good as the HD 800 is (to my ears), it isn't perfect. The initial harsh- and brightness of my pair was just almost gone after break-in, it took a special modification to completely eliminate it. Maybe electronics with ideal synergy would have done the trick as well, but at a much higher price and without eliminating the actual (acoustic) causes. Now the (quasi-)perfection makes the sound so inconspicuous, effortless and self-evident that it's easy to forget the high quality, since nothing stands out and shouts at you: «Listen how good I sound!» It takes the comparison to my other headphones to notice again how superior the HD 800 is.

BTW, meanwhile I do like the look – whether plastic or not.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #71 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't personally heard the 800s...

Yet another sharp-tongued critic who hasn't heard the HD-800.

Why don't you make an effort to give one a listen? Maybe you'll notice why a lot of us love them.

I would hope the great sound would be more enjoyable than trashing something you know nothing about.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #72 of 183
Quote:

I think the thing which makes the HD800 as polarized as it has become is that it's not a pretty sounding headphone. It doesn't manipulate the music to sound good.

So why the aftermarket cables and variations in amplification? Do those folks who partake want to manipulate the music?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As good as the HD 800 is (to my ears), it isn't perfect.

If you can't stop listening to music, it's as perfect as you can get.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #74 of 183
Quote:

So you think a thread is boring ... then you not only read it all, but post in it? You know there are better ways to get your post count up than being idiotic and insulting.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #75 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't you forgetting the amps and dacs that your cans are connected to? How can your cans be considered to be giving neutral sound unless your amp and dac is doing the same thing?

Yes - but you also need to take into account the microphones that made the recording in the first place.
biggrin.gif

And Sennheiser also make the most uncoloured mics on the market.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back