Why does the HD800 cause such polarizing opinions....
Jan 31, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #77 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why the aftermarket cables and variations in amplification? Do those folks who partake want to manipulate the music?

I can just speak for myself: I take care for good electronics and cabling to avoid bad electronics and cabling or components with bad synergy, resp. You seem to think that there is such a thing as a perfect(ly neutral and accurate) sounding component.

Quote:

If you can't stop listening to music, it's as perfect as you can get.

I can always stop. After all it sounds more prefect than anything else I've heard to date.

Jan 31, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #78 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seem to think that there is such a thing as a perfect(ly neutral and accurate) sounding component.

No I don't. But the OP apparently does.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #79 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No I don't. But the OP apparently does.

This is not the case.....but I do specify that the HD800 is as CLOSE TO perfectly neutral as I've heard in a headphone....I didn't say the HD800 ARE perfectly neutral, nor do I think that.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #81 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not the case.....but I do specify that the HD800 is as CLOSE TO perfectly neutral as I've heard in a headphone....I didn't say the HD800 ARE perfectly neutral, nor do I think that.

... and with that, I would've assumed David Mahler would've signed out of this thread. I am surprised. Good going.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #82 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if a headphone measured perfectly flat, everyone's ear is shaped differently and will have an effect on perceived tonal balance. That is why some won't hear the HD800 (or any other similarly neutral headphone) as neutral as others.

Hmmm. I guess we all see the various colours differently since our eyes are different. However, with time, we point out colours appropriately based on consensus and labeling. Do you think the same is possible with hearing? Anyway, that sounds like a question for sound science.

IOW's, I think the variation in appreciation has a lot more to do with the gear and interconnects being used, as well as the music being listened to.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #83 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you think a thread is boring ... then you not only read it all, but post in it? You know there are better ways to get your post count up than being idiotic and insulting.

By boring I meant that each thread on this phone ends up the same way,and yes I am aware that there are better ways to get a post count,if post counts are important to you.
Lastly please refrain from using such immature words as idiotic and insulting,they are not becoming.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #84 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the R10 is the only headphone that i would like to spend some significant time with.

And I could not agree more,it is THE phone that I would love to get a listen to.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #85 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By boring I meant that each thread on this phone ends up the same way,and yes I am aware that there are better ways to get a post count,if post counts are important to you.
Lastly please refrain from using such immature words as idiotic and insulting,they are not becoming.

If the threads are boring and you think the HD-800 is not worth it, then why bother participating in the thread?

When I log in, I hit the "New Posts" button and scroll right past anything I don't think is worthwhile. That includes an entire subforum or two or three and a lot of products.

If the HD-800 is so offensive and boring to you, try scrolling past the threads dealing with it. It works really well.

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #86 of 183
i am pretty sure at this point the hate for hd800s comes from people who might not be able to afford them, personally i think there the best headphones out there for classical but I just don't listen to classical enough keep them
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #87 of 183
Quote:

Well, no...you are correct as far as you go, you did not say "perfectly neutral" ( I was deflecting that accusation that was directed at me). You did say...
Quote:

If I were to sum up the HD800 in one analogical sentence it would be this:

If you're willing to hear the truth, and you're feeding the headphones truth (unfiltered recordings), you will hear as much of the truth as headphones can currently offer, it is up to you to appreciate this truth, or prefer a prettier distortion of it:)

We all have different "truths" (or interpretations of same), I guess.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #88 of 183
Back on topic (I hope). I was contemplating an irony the other day about how equalisation is shunned here, yet in a great sense we are equalising our music via our choice of headphones. In a meet thread someone commented, when trying an amp designed to be dead-neutral that they had been expecting to be wowed, yet weren't. I think to a degree, people are expecting exciting flavours and are disappointed when they don't get any. On the other hand, those people that appreciate gear that brings out the beauty of what an artist or artists convey in their playing appreciate the HD-800 much more. The difference is, in a sense, whether people like to listen to gear or listen to music.

The other thing is, if the HD-800s don't offer something radically different to their cheaper cans (K701s and DT-880s come to mind here) they will see the HD-800s as being over-priced, as they may not seem to be $1000 different compared to what they already own with the music they listen to, especially if they aren't tonally very different.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #89 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other thing is, if the HD-800s don't offer something radically different to their cheaper cans (K701s and DT-880s come to mind here) they will see the HD-800s as being over-priced, as they may not seem to be $1000 different compared to what they already own with the music they listen to, especially if they aren't tonally very different.

Which brings me back to this question; is spending $1400 on headphones that employ the general technology of a $400 headphone justified? For many, if the results are just 5% better, than yes. I, on the other hand, would be happy to spend $1400 on headphones if they were a true game changer. They don't exist yet.

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #90 of 183
Some people would argue that the HD800 are no better than the HD600 or D5000 or the K701......there is a valid argument there, but it would probably be a very small minority of people who would make this argument.

In my opinion the HD800 are a world better than the HD600 and K701. But it is very hard to explain what it offers which other cans at a lower price do not. It's something that you really need to hear. And more than just hear, it's something you really need to get accustomed to. I didn't realize how special the HD800 were right away. In fact my initial impression were that the R10s were a good step above of them. I don't feel this way anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back