Why does the HD800 cause such polarizing opinions....
Feb 2, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #121 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do opinions on IEM's vary less than they do with full sized headphones? I know that the JH13 has almost unanimous praise around here, but are opinions also pretty agreed upon among other IEM's?

From my own point of view that is not based on science or fact, I don't really agree with the idea that we all hear headphones differently. I think that people just prefer different colorations, that it is a mental difference rather than a physical one. But, the community's reaction to IEM's seems like it would prove this yay or nay because like you said, there are none with IEM's, the sound just goes right into the ears. If opinions are just as varied with them as with full sized phones, than your reflection theory, however convincing, wouldn't account for much it seems...

From my experience I would say that IEM's have a much greater range of opinions. Perhaps it's different with customs like the JH13's, but from my IEM travels I found that it was very hard to get good sound from IEM's. The overall sound was so dependent on the tips used and the ear position that I really struggled to see what others recommended in some IEM's.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #124 of 183
Quote:

From my own point of view that is not based on science or fact, I don't really agree with the idea that we all hear headphones differently. I think that people just prefer different colorations, that it is a mental difference rather than a physical one.

That's of course a valid point on which I agree.

Quote:

But, the community's reaction to IEM's seems like it would prove this yay or nay because like you said, there are none with IEM's, the sound just goes right into the ears. If opinions are just as varied with them as with full sized phones, then your reflection theory, however convincing, wouldn't account for much it seems...

There are two aspects: IEMs don't produce interactions between driver and pinna, which makes them less prone to individual, anatomy-dependent frequency responses on the ear drum (apart from different ear-canal shapes). On the other hand, the discrepancy between free-field hearing curve (with full individual HRTF) and bypassing of the pinna is even more pronounced than with full-size headphones.

However, I expect the deviations between individual perceptions to be smaller with IEMs – because of the absence of driver-ear interactions (which are reality – why shouldn't they be?). But of course the seal problem could very well make for another kind of «ear-shape» dependency.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #125 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 reveals the true quality of a lot of the gear out there, and on top of this even really REALLY good gear that's not basically tuned for the Sennheisers makes the headphones a bit colored.

So this seems like one of the main arguments. Are the HD800's revealing flaws in 99.9% of gear out there, or is that .1% of gear is synergizing well and eliminating flaw(s) in the HD800? I guess it doesn't matter in the end, but I would argue the latter. Sennheiser clearly didn't design them with this .1% of gear in mind.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #126 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, the transducers in the HD800 are angled at 30 degrees which approximates a typical speaker placement. The only thing you won't have too much of is crossfeed between channels.

Correct. Speakers fill the room with sound which is picked up by the ear along with the direct sound coming from the speakers (sort of the way close mics are blended with room mics on some recordings). I don't know how headphones can ever approximate this, so I am not sure why a headphone design would bother attempting a speaker placement approximation. Headphones and speakers are two different listening environments and should be kept that way. They should just try and exhibit as little distortion as possible, along with a reasonably flat frequency balance.

The spaciousness (if any exists) is in the recording. An IEM should tell you the difference between the non-space of a layered pop recording and the natural space of a live classical one. I don't believe a headphone should be "creating" space. This is where it makes it difficult to ascertain what is accurate in headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sounded bad for me until every component reached a certain standard.

One could make that claim about any headphone.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #127 of 183
why has aimlink gone into multi-repeat mode? Can someone shut him down until he resets?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #128 of 183
Sorry about the repeats. There are times when the forum server becomes a little unresponsive. You hit 'post' and nothing seems to happen. You try again without realizing that something is happening.

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #129 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not at all........but I can't make someone feel a certain way about a headphone. I've heard a few people say they prefer the HD600 to the HD800, and as well all know, plenty of people have prefered the K701 to the HD600, therefor by deductive reasoning, i think one can conclude that since sound is totally subjective, it is possible some people would prefer the K701 to the HD800.....it wouldn't be a majority opinion obviously, but it could exist.

I don't see how you can conclude that "sound is totally subjective" based on that reasoning. Would it not be more appropriate to deduce that people's perception of it is?

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #130 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0 degrees or 180 degrees? : )

I just realized I don't have a degrees symbol on my keyboard. Damn Apple.

It's not on a PC keyboard either - it's in the "Character Map" - Alt+0176 = °

So I can write 0° and 180°
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:23 AM Post #131 of 183
Quote:

From my own point of view that is not based on science or fact, I don't really agree with the idea that we all hear headphones differently. I think that people just prefer different colorations, that it is a mental difference rather than a physical one. But, the community's reaction to IEM's seems like it would prove this yay or nay because like you said, there are none with IEM's, the sound just goes right into the ears. If opinions are just as varied with them as with full sized phones, than your reflection theory, however convincing, wouldn't account for much it seems...

Interestingly, someone commented how, at Canjam, in the Smythe Research room, you could listen to how the set-up sounded programmed for different people's ears, and it was noticeably different for each person, so, while not "scientific proof" in the strictest sense, there was definitely something in the idea of people's ears delivering a different experience to each person. But by simple logic, everyone's ears are physically different, so there's no reason why the sound they deliver to the ear canal wouldn't be slightly different. How much so is another matter.

Quote:

So this seems like one of the main arguments. Are the HD800's revealing flaws in 99.9% of gear out there, or is that .1% of gear is synergizing well and eliminating flaw(s) in the HD800? I guess it doesn't matter in the end, but I would argue the latter. Sennheiser clearly didn't design them with this .1% of gear in mind.

What comes to mind is, remove the word "flaws" entirely and look at it a different way. Objectively, the more resolving the drivers in a pair of headphones, the more they scale in performance as the gear they are used with scales in its resolution. Subjectively, their tonality may not be an enjoyable sonic match with certain gear, music and people. As one progresses up the scale at which gear can resolve details and where even small tonal changes are more noticeable, there's more that one might find subjectively good or bad in the differences in what one hears between components and how they interact with one another.

I've noticed as one heads towards the high-end and the soundstage grows, instruments become more separate and distinct and one moves father and father away from the all-mushed-together sound of lo-fi gear, in some respects it's harder to find a combination of components that delivers the music in a way that's enjoyable, as instead of a wall of sound, without all the distortion, music can easily start to sound boring. This is why, I think a lot of people get the "My iBuds sound better" comment when trying to introduce friends to high quality gear. They just aren't prepared for the music to come from individual instruments with "black" between them instead of a wall of sound blurred together. The HD-800s take this further ahead again, by removing more of the "wall", which with many headphones is created with a mid-bass boost. This is also why people (including myself) felt the need to re-cable them with cables that add just a touch more bass, as we want some of that warmth back, that is, the mid-bass boost part of the "wall" we're used to.

Listening, to, say, Alicia Keys as she sings in a recording studio with a degree of resolution that one can visualise the size of the booth she was standing in from the echos off the walls, with some very poor crap laid over her vocals is just too much info. Many of us like to have something to fill in the "black" with a lot of music, and hide from us the cables running across the floor of the recording studio, imagining instead we're listening to an overwhelming live performance. This is arguably more so if the music is mostly electronic.

On the other hand, there is music where we want to focus on the intensity of the individual performers so that the spirit of their performance is transferred to us as much as possible. This is where the HD-800 excels, up to the degree of the component chain's ability to do the same. However, despite this, it can end up leaving us a bit further back in the audience than is ideal to get the intensity we might crave with some music. This is much the same as putting jumbo/bagel pads on some Grados -- even if it means everything spaces out, you lose the intensity to a degree, and lose some of the "wall", and some of the fun with certain music.

The result is an annoyingly higher demand for extracting great aural enjoyment from them. Even Stax are more forgiving in this regard. Instead of bringing more fun (which, since I was quoting rhythmdevils, he might call the lack of a "flaw", though there are many technical aspects to this from their frequency response to their impedance curve we could find fault in if we looked at it objectively rather than subjectively), we get more resolve, so if not more resolution of the music, more resolution of the capabilities of the components feeding it. We're back to the Head-fi newbie fault of buying good headphones and a cheap amp and sourcing it from our cheap computer sound-card again, but much further up the scale. And we're back to square one. We either buy something that tonally balances them or we buy a lot better gear, depending on what kind of enjoyment we're looking for when listening to music.

I hope this rant made some sort of sense.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #132 of 183
Very good post, Currawong!
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #133 of 183
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listening, to, say, Alicia Keys as she sings in a recording studio with a degree of resolution that one can visualise the size of the booth she was standing in from the echos off the walls, with some very poor crap laid over her vocals is just too much info.

Yes! It's a distraction. Like standing to close to a painting; you see the paint, not the scene.

Feb 2, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #135 of 183
Quote:

Do opinions on IEM's vary less than they do with full sized headphones? I know that the JH13 has almost unanimous praise around here, but are opinions also pretty agreed upon among other IEM's?

But, the community's reaction to IEM's seems like it would prove this yay or nay because like you said, there are none with IEM's, the sound just goes right into the ears. If opinions are just as varied with them as with full sized phones, than your reflection theory, however convincing, wouldn't account for much it seems...

I think you need to spend some more time in the earphones and portables threads. If you did, you would find that opinions diverge just as much there as they do here. It's true that the JH13 PRO's have garnered consistent acclaim, but they are regarded as a very expensive custom IEM. Only a relatively small number of Head-Fiers who frequent the earphones and portables threads actually own them. It's not surprising then that dissenting views are also fewer in number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back