Why do people like Grados so much?
May 27, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #106 of 196

Quote:
Would you give a strong recommendation for the HF2? The only other option I'm looking at is obtaining the LD1+ and later buying a udac 2 

Definitely. Sound wise the HF2 has the best bass of any Grado that I've heard. It's presentation is a lot warmer than your typical Grado with the same great mids. The highs are there, but they not as in your face or "peaky" like they are on say something like the 225. They answer the OP's question...Why do people like Grado's so much? Because they are fun and musical. I use headphones to listen to music, so my head bobs and my toes tap. The HF2's are my favorite stock Grado and it would be an absolute crime to modify them.

May 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #108 of 196

Quote:
Even if one were to perform a "stealth" mod by installing wooden liners in them?

I heard a story about a guy that took his HF2's apart and things didnt work out so well. I think what was discerned from that tragedy though was that the HF2's had wooden liners. Now if someone were to inadvertently mess something up, one would have to un&^*@ his &^*@ up
blink.gif

May 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #109 of 196
I think the main reason that Grados are thought to be good rock headphones is because of their fast, aggressive sound signature. However, instruments such as the bass guitar and kick drum will be difficult to hear because of the rolled-off bass response. YMMV, the Grado sound signature just isn't for me.

May 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #110 of 196
First off, let me start out by saying it's all a matter of taste. What sound you like may not be the sound I like. I went to a serious stereo store that had every headphone hi end and low end imaginable and the old man that owned the store must have thought I was nuts. I think I tried on every headphone in the joint and gave them all a good listen. 1 hour and change later, I bought a pair of gradosr325i's. Why? Because for the money they sounded the best TO ME over all the others. I am not willing to drop 1000 on a pair of headphones unless I win the lottery..lol

Now I know I am new here and my opinion may not count for jack. But, I could care less who likes what and why. It's simply finding what works for you. I was going to buy some sr60's and through trying all the grados and seinheisers on and audio technica's, I just seemed to keep going back to the 325''s. I didn't want to spend that much mind you, but for sound quality and the bang for your buck I thought wow, this is a step and then some from all the others I heard. Even the owner of the store said he owns a pair, he said all of the grado's below that level kind of sound the same. And I agree after trying them all on. I just liked how they sounded and I don't need a closed cup version, just a best sounding version for me. I listen to rock only and that sounded the best of all the pricey headphones I tried, they blew me away. I even tried the hd800's on and didn't like them as much. But then again, it's all a matter of opinion. If you mainly listen to rock, well then Grados are the real deal.

May 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #111 of 196
To summarize my experience with my sr225, grados have a very sweet and forward midrange, which is ideal for rock and vocals. I recently got my dt880s and surprisingly (being the neutral headphone they are), feel recessed in the mids. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I'm just getting used to the mids not being forward. The sr225 has great aspects that the dt880s don't, which is fast decay and forward midrange. The dt 880s trump the sr 225s in bass and highs though. Each has their own strengths (Dt 880s technically wins though).  

May 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #112 of 196

Quote:
I think the main reason that Grados are thought to be good rock headphones is because of their fast, aggressive sound signature. However, instruments such as the bass guitar and kick drum will be difficult to hear because of the rolled-off bass response. YMMV, the Grado sound signature just isn't for me.

You many not have been utilizing them with a proper amp, which could have led to an anemic kick drum and bass guitar.  In the audio world, people would always talk about proper "pairings" of equipment - especially amps and speakers.  However, in the headphone world, I think this is even more of an area that people need to consider.  It would be interesting to see and hear something as far as recommendations go from Grado's perspective.  Though, I can see where they might not want to take or make such a stand, because they'd alienate a lot of manufacturers based on their statements.

May 28, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #113 of 196
I find Grado's more engaging than other phones that I have tried and own. They are remarkably clear and detailed without sounding antiseptic. They are vivid, liquid and dynamic all at once. And they do this without the need for dedicated amplification. I second KneelJung's opinion of the HF2. It's a wonderful Grado. 

May 28, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #114 of 196
I think Grados are popular because of their mids, which are rich and flat and fun.  Human beings are midrange detectors.  The midrange is where we live.  Most of the sound that we associate with our existence comes from the midrange.  It's the sound of human speech, the sound of most instruments, the "detail" area of the music, as opposed to "presence" frequencies at the top and bottom of the audible spectrum.

Grados do mids really well.  They don't filter the driver.  Now, there are consequences to this as you move up the frequency spectrum.  There are also consequences as you move down.  A typical complaint of Grados is that they spike too much in the high-mids and treble while they provide too little bass response.  What bass they do provide isn't the lowest bass but something around 100 Hz.

Even so, Grados are fun because they strike an interesting compromise between accuracy and excitement.  Because they're open and because they're unfiltered, Grados do provide a detail and accuracy that you won't hear through more filtered headphones.  On the other hand, Grados are not accurate to a fault.  Their presentation is EQ'd.  They emphasize certain frequency bands.  As it is, these are terrific bands for rock and a few other genres.  

Another reason for Grado's popularity is price - at least at the lower end.  They're not the cheapest headphones out there, and some would argue they're not the best buy, at least not anymore.  But Grado gained a reputation by introducing headfiers to open sound at an inexpensive price.  Grado is also one of the few companies that recognizes the sonic benefits of utilizing wood or aluminum in the shells.

Somewhere along similar lines, Grados are so accessible that modding one is a bit like modding a Volkswagen.  Everybody has an idea of how much better the Grados would be if Grado made one change for the better.  People personalize the portable and expendable joy machines of the lower Prestige lineup.  As they do, there's a feeling of empowerment.  In that sense, Grado may be as much a "lifestyle product" as Apple, Bose and BMW.  

May 28, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #115 of 196
I moved from HFI 780 to 325is because of smoother high, clearer base, more comfortable.
I added RS1i into my collection because of much more transparency, sweet mid (that I really love).

I used 325is with E7-E9 combo for metal, rock because of fast and strong base.
I used RS1i with Burson HA160D for female vocal, wood wind, new age and movie watching because of excellent ambient presentation, sweet-detailed mid, clear base.

That's my reason.

Note: Also I have HE-6, GS1000i but still waiting for tube amp to play with them.

May 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #116 of 196

Quote:
In regards to my Sennheiser HD-555 headphones, I use them in my bedroom.  They are very comfortable to utilize as I use when I go to sleep.  The Grados didn't work so well since their on-ear configuration didn't keep positioned properly.

Good point and thanks for the hint. I also plan to use them in my bedroom. I'll try to test this before I buy again. Probably I can test the bedroom fit with my old HD414. They have roughly the same design as the RS1/2.

May 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #117 of 196

Quote:
You many not have been utilizing them with a proper amp, which could have led to an anemic kick drum and bass guitar.  In the audio world, people would always talk about proper "pairings" of equipment - especially amps and speakers.  However, in the headphone world, I think this is even more of an area that people need to consider.  It would be interesting to see and hear something as far as recommendations go from Grado's perspective.  Though, I can see where they might not want to take or make such a stand, because they'd alienate a lot of manufacturers based on their statements.

I just realized the stupidity in the statement that I made last evening.  Of course Grado wouldn't make amp recommendations for the "other" amps out there, because they make and sell their own amps.  D'oh!  
devil_face.gif

May 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #118 of 196
Grados sound really crappy with really "loud" music. They sound awesome with acoustic and studio albums by lead guitarists.
I listen to a lot of Paul Gilbert and Yngwie Malmsteen and nothing else will do it. Sennheisers don't reveal quite enough, the Denon D2k bass is pretty sweet for most music in general, but I feel it can shroud the mids sometimes.
Whenever I listen to Lamb of God and like Amon Amarth, I think these sound terrible on Grados just because these songs have that artifical "loudness" to them and nothing in particular struck me as impactful or clean.

The Grados are not neutral by any means, and neither are their Allessandro counterparts from what I've gathered from a friend who bought the MS2i this week. He still got the treble fatigue anyway and I had a good laugh out of it. But for being not neutral, they are the most accurate cans I've heard south of custom IEM's and 500 dollar cans with matching amp/DAC's.

May 28, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #119 of 196
^^ I agree 100% with this. Right now Zappa live is bliss on my SR80i. Lamb of God or Meshuggah? Not so much. Those are better left to the HD25s. My Grados may be fast, detailed, open and fun, but they're also a bit too "wimpy", if you will, to take on loud, complex metal.

May 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #120 of 196
I didn't find my SR80s to have particularly-eargasmic midrange. But then again, I'm used to the midrange of the UM3X... 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back