Who is are the leaders in portable AMP/ Need best AMP for my setup DT 770 PRO 80ohms
Oct 6, 2010 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Party

New Head-Fier
[size=14pt]Ok guys I have been searching for quite a while now and I still don’t know what portable amp to get…[/size]
[size=14pt]First who makes the best portable amps (the general consensus); it seems that Ibasso makes some quality equipment and is on top of the game. Which brings me to my next question is the [/size][size=14pt]iBasso PB1 Toucan top of the line??? Still not totally sure how the whole balance thing works, does your whole system need to be “balanced” (I guess wires etc…) so will this only work with certain setups (will it work with mine)???[/size]
[size=14pt]Ok so all these questions led me to my mission to finding the best Amp that will power my headphones to full potential and possibly future headphones (main goal) with money being no issues.[/size]
[size=14pt]My Setup:[/size]
[size=14pt]Cowon J3[/size]
[size=14pt]With DT 770 PRO 80ohms[/size]
[size=14pt]Thanks[/size]
[size=14pt]I do know there are some forums out there on this topic but none gave a good answer and many were old forums (years old) new amps models are out now…[/size]

[size=14pt]Sorry jacked up the title, can't edit it..?[/size]

Oct 6, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't think you'll find a general consensus on who makes the best portable amp or what is the top of the line. Everyone has their own favorites or preferences. It would be better for you to outline what your requirements are and people would chime in with recommendations on which manufacturer or amp to audition.

Good luck.

Jack

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 6
[size=14pt]Man why can’t you guys just come to a general consensus? I understand you guys are loyal to certain brands/styles, and everyone has a personal “listening taste” etc... But there still has to be companies that stand strong all the way through and are “generally” agreed upon to produce quality amps, NO??? (Example: Cowon). Just lighten up and toss some brand/models out there… (Do not take this as if I am attacking you guys, you guys are GREAT!! just being [/size][size=14pt]blatant with my words[/size][size=14pt]) I kind of outlined my req (as it is not much) in the first post, I want a portable amp that will run my DT 770 80s to there full potential and then some, as to be able to run possibly future more intense setups. The first is however the most important, second would just be nice.... As I have done research, I cannot seem to find a whole lot out there on the iBasso PB1 Toucan, as this does seem to be the "best" portable (balanced (not many do this), butt loads of power etc...)Out there??? Any references or input on this matter is greatly appreciated.[/size]
[size=14pt]Thanks guys [/size]

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Go look in Skylab's portable amp review thread. If you go with one of the amps in high tiers, you should be fine.

In the past, I've had good experiences with RSA portables (SR-71, Hornet). My current portable favorite is the Headamp Pico Slim.

You mentioned iBasso, but I'm sure you noticed that makers like Headamp, RSA, and Meier have their fans. They are all great companies and make great products. You can't go wrong with any of them.

I know you stated it's not, but if budget is a consideration, then get a mini^3. It's as good as commercial portable amps costing several times more.

No portable can be as good as a desktop amp, so if performance is an important consideration, then think about getting a desktop amp. In general, high end desktop amps start out at $900 (Headamp GS-1) and go up past $2k (e.g., Zana Deux). I would go for a Rockhopper Beta22.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
[size=14pt]Man why can’t you guys just come to a general consensus? [/size]

What do you want to hear, seriously? I read your original post and thought better than waste time but since you insist here it goes....you say you have done your research...well if you did, you would know that most makers and their amps are good but there are trade offs with all.
but since you insist, here are some makers: headamp, TTVJ, Ibasso, Lisa III, Meier, Headstage, RSA....but I am sure that is not very helpful since the list covers almost all..

[size=14pt]I understand you guys are loyal to certain brands/styles, and everyone has a personal “listening taste” etc... [/size][size=14pt]But there still has to be companies that stand strong all the way through and are “generally” agreed upon to produce quality amps, NO???[/size]

mostly it has nothing to do with brand loyalty but again with the trade offs one wants. as for generally agreed makers, see the list above (and probably can add more makers to the list) 

[size=14pt](Example: Cowon). Just lighten up and toss some brand/models out there… (Do not take this as if I am attacking you guys, you guys are GREAT!! just being [/size][size=14pt]blatant with my words[/size][size=14pt]) I kind of outlined my req (as it is not much) in the first post, I want a portable amp that will run my DT 770 80s to there full potential and then some, as to be able to run possibly future more intense setups. [/size]

again, the same logic applies. here are some
Meier Stepdance - loads of power for SE. very nice volume pot (attenuator). battery is only around 8-10 hours.user replaceble batteries.  bulky than some other slim amps.

Lisa III - legendary SQ. very big and bulky, short battery life without the XP model and charging takes exactly as the same as battery usage..so a 20 hour battery life will also mean 20 hour of charging. quite expensive.

RSA Protector - balanced, but not true balanced as it takes in single ended source and splits the signal to two. has power to drive the full size HPs. need to spend extra money on cables to convert your headphones to balanced, costing more..non balanced setup not as good as some otheres (Stepdance, lisa etc)

Ibasso PB1- good price, true balanced. the problem is there are no true balanced DAPs out, so for portable unless you use some other different setups. (dont really know much about it but you can check out the thread to find out more..) 

Headstage arrow - slim, customizable (gain, bass etc). has enough power to drive most cans, long battery life. good price. order waiting is long - over a month..

ibasso D12- nice size for multiple inputs (optical, usb, coaxial). dual DAC and AMP. ability to roll opamps..good sound, good price (only few impressions so far but similar to other ibasso product like D4, D10 etc.D4 has the advantage of 9V, whereas D12 is only 5V..)

headamp pico & pico slim.....

TTVJ slim......

and the list goes on...I have not heard most of them but know enough to say that each sound different enough that you will need to decide which you want and the trade-offs that come with it..they are all good amps for their intended purposes and have good reputation here on head- fi. 
some have excellent sound, power, battery life, customizing option etc...but not all of them in one..so decide yourself.. 

for your DT770 all of these amps can probably drive them well, though since I never heard them not sure. go check some threads for the DT770 to see what amp others have paired with and their preference. 

[size=14pt]The first is however the most important, second would just be nice.... As I have done research, I cannot seem to find a whole lot out there on the iBasso PB1 Toucan, as this does seem to be the "best" portable (balanced (not many do this), butt loads of power etc...)Out there??? Any references or input on this matter is greatly appreciated.[/size]
[size=14pt]Thanks guys [/size]

but seriously, don't expect others to answer your question without you doing the proper search yourself. if you did, you would know how silly your title and question is in regards to who makes the best amps...and probably the reason for not many replies...

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 6
[size=medium]Hey thanks for the INFO guys! I know my question may be “elementary”, but I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer it![/size]
[size=medium]Thanks [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back