Which of your closed cans isolate the best?
May 21, 2011 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

CARRION FEAST

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious to know from others who own & regularly use a variety of cans which of your closed cans have the best isolation- I'm not necessarily talking about best quality with decent isolation, I'm talkin' flat out can't hear the fire truck pulling up outside your house, on the train with a drooling bearded man at your ear reeking of alcohol & telling you loudly about his pet potato & all you can hear is your funky beats kind of isolation.
My closed cans are: Ultrasone Pro 900's, Beyerdynamic T50P's, Sony MDR XB1000's & Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's & I'd have to say, for sheer pump the volume and you're somewhere else isolation the HD25's are the best I own (and they sound great too).
Which of your closed cans shut the world out the best?

May 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Definitely the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. The isolation of the HD 25 is a joke in comparison, as are all other closed cans I tried.

x2

Another option would be to look at active noise cancelling cans, Goldring NS1000 are pretty good a drowing out low frequencies when travelling.

May 21, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #8 of 18
HD 280 offer the best isolation, then in order: HD25 II, HFI 700, M50, Pro750/900, K271, D5000/7000, DT770 (600 ohm). I have not considered in the list any open or semi-open cans.
Unfortunately HD 280 are rather unconfortable because of their strong clamping force and I don't like their sound very much. But if you really need isolation that is the best option.

May 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
What's the sound quality like with the HD280's?

I was quite satisfied with them as my only cans for 5 or 6 years, and even now I think they're decent headphones - soundstage is very thin, tho. If isolation is your priority, I'd say they're still a good choice (alhough there are cans with better SQ in this price range - probably SRH440 for example).

May 21, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 18

I was quite satisfied with them as my only cans for 5 or 6 years, and even now I think they're decent headphones - soundstage is very thin, tho. If isolation is your priority, I'd say they're still a good choice (alhough there are cans with better SQ in this price range - probably SRH440 for example).

Thanks, for the price I think I might have to give them a go- I really don't need them, but it would be nice to have something I can listen to in bed at a decent volume without annoying my wife- assuming they don't leak much sound?

May 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 18
I thought the shures had decent isolation.
And the 440s really are a great value headphone

May 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Definitely the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. The isolation of the HD 25 is a joke in comparison, as are all other closed cans I tried.

It doesn't get much better than the HD280. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: At least as far as full size cans go. IEMs beat them hands down (notably anything by Etymotic or Westone, especially with Complys).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back