Which of this choices would give me the most neutral sound.
Jun 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #31 of 62

Sumflow, your fanboy comments are getting very old.  We understand you love your UM3X, but unless you have owned or extensively listened to any of the other IEM's the OP is requesting info about, kindly base your opinions on your listening experience only. 

Quote:
UM3x Yeah, like durability, and warranty.
FOTM

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #32 of 62

Sky, I've owned both the IE8 and the ER-4P.  The IE8 is far from neutral with it's thunderous bottom end, mid bass hump and rolled off highs.  I enjoyed them very much and miss them actually.  They are fun to listen to and when EQ'd you'll just get lost in the music.  But then again, I'm a certified basshead.  The ER-4P's are almost a polar opposite to the IE8's.  They are very analytical with forward mids and treble.  They have detectable bass, but they lack the depth and attack (punch) of the IE8's by design.  They are fabulous for some genre's of music, but still not what I would consider neutral.  The ER-4P's offer better isolation then the IE8's, but they lack the soundstage of the Sennheisers.  I found the Sennheiser IE7 to be "more neutral" than the IE8, but calling them neutral is a stretch as well.  I hope that helps narrow your search.

Quote:
So I have narrowed my choices to these ,
Ortofon e-Q7 ,

Etymotic er4p

Shure SE420

Shure SCL4

Westone UM2

Westone UM3X

Fischer Audio DBA-02,

ATH CK10 ,

q-Jays.

IE8

As mentioned in the title , which of these choices would give me the most neutral , accurate sound production?
I know that many of you would start firing away stuff like the Triple.fi , SE530.. But in my country those stuff seemed to be really pricy. (Probably a 100USD away from IE8.)
Anyway , If you have any other IEM to recommend , feel free to do so , I would really really prefer those that are designed to wear over the ear , since I can't stand cable noise.
I know this kinda thread have been done for many times but crap.. I'm at a total loss.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #33 of 62
Quote:
Yesterday at 11:28 pm

1. Bennyboy71
  2. badge_500.v1279317417.png

Just received my new SM3s after sending my broken ones back..

In every way _ What part of durability and Warranty does this not include[size=16pt]?[/size]
Quote:
  they are better than UM3X in just about every way.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #34 of 62

Quote:
In every way _ What part of durability and Warranty does this not include[size=16pt]?[/size]
Quote:

In my opinion - durability: i dont think anybody is going to destroy a pair of IEM's when they take care of them (especially since the build quality seems very similar to each other)
Warranty - well if they dont break, what is there to RMA back (I think for these items, RMA numbers are quite low)? Also, i dont think anybody has had a terrible warranty service with a smaller company (sort of) like EarSonics

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 62
Have any of you heard the DBA-02, the OP seemed interested in them and I personally am intrigued. Though the sound signature of my current Fischer Audio IEMs is not my cup of tea.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #36 of 62
well what is the signature of the fischer audio iems? there's a couple of reviews out on the dba 02 here..read up on them and that pretty much tells you what you need to know about them

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #37 of 62

Quote:
well what is the signature of the fischer audio iems? there's a couple of reviews out on the dba 02 here..read up on them and that pretty much tells you what you need to know about them

Alright will do, I just find my Eterna to be way too bassy for me, even after extensive burn in and listening time they just dont feel right.

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #38 of 62
trust me these are anything but bassy. If you want to read mine I have it listed in my profile somewhere..but outside of that ClieOS has a review as does LFF (which should be in the 1st page of this subforum area)

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #39 of 62

Quote:
Quote:

I was just talking about sound quality, not durability and warranty. I must admit that UM3X is also a very nice sounding IEM - definitely one of my favorites. And with some music like jazz, the UM3X may even be preferable to the SM3 because it has more forward mids. But overall, the SM3 is the more neutral and accurate monitor in my opinion and better suited for a wider variety of music.

Regarding durability and warranty, both are built very well I think. UM3X might be more durable in the long run, but EarSonics customer service is excellent and replacing the SM3 shouldn't be a problem in case they do break.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #42 of 62
The UM3X is a great earphone, but it's not the flattest frequency response out there.  It's flat like the Klipsch Custom 3 is flat as in it runs a crossover setup with a gapped midrange that emphasizes bass and treble a little.  These gapped crossover designs do take a bit of specific EQing to flatten out well, so they're not the simplest to fix if you don't want it.

With all things, there are things each of these earphones do well and there are things that each of these earphones could be improved upon.  Research and figure out which mix of properties favors you best.  It really will be the small details that define which earphone you will like the most.  A LOT of the earphones we're suggesting are very good.  In raw SQ, a lot of these are nearly on par with each other.  The differences will be in the details, so research, research, research.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:
The UM3X is a great earphone, but it's not the flattest frequency response out there.  It's flat like the Klipsch Custom 3 is flat as in it runs a crossover setup with a gapped midrange that emphasizes bass and treble a little.  These gapped crossover designs do take a bit of specific EQing to flatten out well, so they're not the simplest to fix if you don't want it.

With all things, there are things each of these earphones do well and there are things that each of these earphones could be improved upon.  Research and figure out which mix of properties favors you best.  It really will be the small details that define which earphone you will like the most.  A LOT of the earphones we're suggesting are very good.  In raw SQ, a lot of these are nearly on par with each other.  The differences will be in the details, so research, research, research.

Well, I didn't feel like the treble is at all emphasized the UM3X. In fact, I felt that it was a bit recessed. I don't think bass is emphasized either - maybe just a little.

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #45 of 62

Quote:

Have you actually heard the SM3? If so, what exactly is it that makes it FOTM in your opinion? I listened extensively to both and I feel that the SM3 offers a much richer musical experience than the UM3X, with tighter bass and much better treble presence.

Quote:

well you dont have to hear it to say something FOTM.  FOTM also doesnt mean something isnt any good.  what it does mean is that its new and currently has a disproportionately high amount of chatter about it given its new and hasnt been talked about already at length. 

all that said he was being condensing and talking nonsense.  the RE-0 very much is in the same class as "proper" stage monitors even if the RE-252 are even better (which i suggest previously)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back