Which of this choices would give me the most neutral sound.
Jun 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #16 of 62
Another iem you have fit issues with and have yet to find the right tips for your ears i guess going by your description of how you hear the TF10 
wink_face.gif

Quote:

I am surprised that you recommend the Triple.fi. It is anything but neutral to my ears with a sloppy, overblown upper bass and seriously recessed upper mids.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #17 of 62
Triple.Fi 10s aren't neutral. Recessed midrange. 
I would say the ER4(S).... the P is just a little too sharp and has some emphasis in the bass....
I don't know much about the other phones; Photofan pretty much cleaned up here :)

UM3Xs are a little bass and mid oriented though; excellent phones and with silicon tips they are amazing but... they aren't really neutral. I thought they were until I got the ER4Ss and K702s. 

Jun 27, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #18 of 62
Flattest I've used:

RE252

MTPG

If you want an earphone that is pretty close but just needs one area tweaked to flatten out, then

IE8

CK10

The IE8 just needs a wide mild cut at 100Hz.  The CK10 needs a narrow moderate cut at 12kHz.  Both are actually pretty flat in response otherwise.  It's just that their respective peaks tend to dominate the presentation.

The ER4 is a good choice, similarly the PFE, but these single BA earphones are slightly lacking in extension and evenness of frequency response towards the ends.  This is unavoidable.  For frequency range, the newer dynamics simply cover the spectrum better.  If you want to cover the majority of the spectrum well with BA, you want to start at a 2-way BA setup.

I'll also note the Triple.Fi 10 is pretty straight forward to flatten out.  It takes a wide cut around 100Hz like the IE8 and a cut up top kind of like the CK10.  You can even add a bump on the very, very bottom end to extend the bass line down to 30Hz with no problem.  A little tweaking and the Triple.Fi 10 just gets really, really good, but in stock form it is a little V shaped.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #22 of 62
If you can afford UM3X, you will be much better off saving a bit and getting EarSonics SM3 - they are better than UM3X in just about every way IMO and are even more neutral and accurate.

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #23 of 62
I'm gonna put another vote in for the RE0, if you end up loving them (as I do) you will have saved a ton of money. Though one negative about them is they need a bit more power than a DAP can usually provide unamped.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #27 of 62
Please stop commenting and attacking phones that you have not heard. Also you are clearly biased towards the UM3X.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #28 of 62
Geeze, Sumflow, you always seem to judge an iem by the number of drivers and crossover...which shows that you haven't heard much...
And what does impedance and sensitivity has to do with sound quality?

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #30 of 62

Quote:

Have you actually heard the SM3? If so, what exactly is it that makes it FOTM in your opinion? I listened extensively to both and I feel that the SM3 offers a much richer musical experience than the UM3X, with tighter bass and much better treble presence.

Quote:
Sumflow said:

RE0 One speaker, no crossover, high Impedance, low sensitivity.  Not in the same class with real stage monitors.

Like which ones? I've owned Westone ES3X and in all honesty, I feel that RE0 is the more neutral and coherent of the two, and pretty close in other aspects as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back