Which noise-isolating headphone ($150-200)?
May 28, 2012 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Reboech

New Head-Fier
I need a new pair of closed, circum-aural headphones for car travel, and I've been searching these forums and found several interesting headphones - I'm just not sure which would meet my requirements:

1. Good passive noise-isolation
  2. Good comfort with glasses
  3. Preferably useable without an amp
  4. Music genres: Hard rock, classic rock, metal and so forth

My own research indicates that I should be heading towards one of these headphones:

1. Beyerdynamic DT770 (EDIT: Pro) /80Ω
  2. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
  3. KRK KNS 8400 (However, I'm slightly worried that the flat response will be "too detailed")
  4. GMP 8.35 D
  5. Sennheiser HD380

But of course, I'm open to other suggestions
bigsmile_face.gif
. Right now I'm leaning towards the KRK's, as I reckon that it might be possible to equalize it bassier if I would find it too "thin".

May 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #4 of 17
  1. Beyerdynamic DT770 (EDIT: Pro) /80Ω

Afraid that needs a powerful amp to shine.

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Good choice, quite bassy.

1. KRK KNS 8400 (However, I'm slightly worried that the flat response will be "too detailed")

No idea about these

2. GMP 8.35 D

Ditto

3. Sennheiser HD380

Not worth the price

Other good choices are the Shure SRH440, and SRH840 (more comfortable and a bit better sounding, but are heavier).

May 29, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Thanks for your quick response. Are you referring to the KRK's? I would have thought that an iPod would be able to drive 36Ω headphones?

KRK headphones have low impedance, but are relatively inefficient.

May 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #6 of 17
krk sounds fab on my ipad..my fone..my studio v..my amps...
popcorn.gif

May 29, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 17
The two headphones on the list that fit your general requirements and are worth the money that they're priced at are the ATH-M50 and the KNS8400. Here's my concise thoughts on both of them:

The ATH-M50 is a good headphone, slightly on the bassy side, and would probably fit your needs well. That said, even without glasses it's almost unbearable to wear after half an hour, and the few times I've used them with glasses I've had pains after taking them off. That said, the M50 is one of the most durable headphones in its price range, and is worth its price in that category.

The KNS8400 is much more detail-oriented than the ATH-M50, and edges is out a bit in comfort, too. It can sound thin to some people though, especially in the modern bass-love infection of our society, but that can easily be EQd out at the cost of some midrange clarity. If you like details, they're the one for you.

May 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
Other good choices are the Shure SRH440, and SRH840 (more comfortable and a bit better sounding, but are heavier).

True, but you can use 840 pads on the 440's. 

The HD-25 I II is also worth checking. (clamp force may be an issue for some people)

May 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 17
First of all, thank you for all your answers. I'm slowly getting a better overview of which headphones I should try.

Quote:
krk sounds fab on my ipad..my fone..my studio v..my amps...
popcorn.gif

How would you rate the isolation (Especially for noise inside a car)?

Quote:
The two headphones on the list that fit your general requirements and are worth the money that they're priced at are the ATH-M50 and the KNS8400. Here's my concise thoughts on both of them:

The ATH-M50 is a good headphone, slightly on the bassy side, and would probably fit your needs well. That said, even without glasses it's almost unbearable to wear after half an hour, and the few times I've used them with glasses I've had pains after taking them off. That said, the M50 is one of the most durable headphones in its price range, and is worth its price in that category.

The KNS8400 is much more detail-oriented than the ATH-M50, and edges is out a bit in comfort, too. It can sound thin to some people though, especially in the modern bass-love infection of our society, but that can easily be EQd out at the cost of some midrange clarity. If you like details, they're the one for you.

Very detailed and good advise. I think I should avoid the ATH-M50 then, as I always wear glasses and can't really see without, so I wouldn't be able to take them off when using the headphones. That was exactly was I was thinking about the KRK's - it must be easier to EQ a flat headphone fun than vice-versa.

Quote:

True, but you can use 840 pads on the 440's. 

The HD-25 I II is also worth checking. (clamp force may be an issue for some people)

I'm not really a fan of the supra-aural design of the HD-25, although I've read that many people like its sound. I prefer the full-size, circum-aural design, however.

May 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for your quick response. Are you referring to the KRK's? I would have thought that an iPod would be able to drive 36Ω headphones?

The Ohm rating does not tell the entire story.  Some very "efficient" headphones based on Ohm rating need am;ping power to make them sound their best.  Example: A900.

May 29, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 17
Though it's not nearly the most easy-to-drive headphone in its category, the KRK still runs just fine from my array of Sansa Clips and my one iPod, if being a bit of a battery-drain when unamped.

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #12 of 17
I visited the music store today and tried out three headphones: KRK 8400, Shure SRH840 and Audio Technica M50. I started out with the KRK's and was immediately impressed by the comfort, and it's flat response didn't sound clinical to me. Then the salesman told me that they had a special offer on the M50 with a price reduction of 200 dkr. (approx. $35), so I thought I might as well try them. But as ssrock64 already mentioned in this thread, the M50's don't match well with glasses and they were quite uncomfortable. Meanwhile the salesman had prepared the SRH840's for me to try. The sound was pleasing, but the comfort wasn't as good as the KRK-cans, so I ended up buying a pair of KRK 8400's.

Until now - no burn it of any kind - I haven't found anywhere where I really find the bass lacking eventhough it is much more subtle than the BOOOM in my Beyerdynamics DTX-710, but I don't miss it because of the overall clarity of the sound. I think I made the right decision. Thanks for all your advise.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
I visited the music store today and tried out three headphones: KRK 8400, Shure SRH840 and Audio Technica M50. I started out with the KRK's and was immediately impressed by the comfort, and it's flat response didn't sound clinical to me. Then the salesman told me that they had a special offer on the M50 with a price reduction of 200 dkr. (approx. $35), so I thought I might as well try them. But as ssrock64 already mentioned in this thread, the M50's don't match well with glasses and they were quite uncomfortable. Meanwhile the salesman had prepared the SRH840's for me to try. The sound was pleasing, but the comfort wasn't as good as the KRK-cans, so I ended up buying a pair of KRK 8400's.

Until now - no burn it of any kind - I haven't found anywhere where I really find the bass lacking eventhough it is much more subtle than the BOOOM in my Beyerdynamics DTX-710, but I don't miss it because of the overall clarity of the sound. I think I made the right decision. Thanks for all your advise.

No problem! I'm glad you're happy with your KRKs. I sure was.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 17
if u like the KRK ...u might like the bose AE2i..... :p
similar sounding, smaller footprint on the head....but u need to find one for half the listed price to get some value/performance
otherwise i will get stoned around this forum.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
if u like the KRK ...u might like the bose AE2i..... :p
similar sounding, smaller footprint on the head....but u need to find one for half the listed price to get some value/performance
otherwise i will get stoned around this forum.
tongue_smile.gif

I already bought the KRK's and I can't really justify buying another $200-headphone already. But thanks for the tip
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back