Which Little Dot For Grados
Jan 7, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh huh

800mW@32 ohms isn't enough juice to drive them like they should be driven????

Hmmmmmmm...in another thread you commented "Maybe a pair of Grado sr225 or sr325i? These sound great directly out of an iPod or computer so you wouldn't need to worry about buying an external amp for now." But now 800mW isn't enough?

These forums are a great resource only if the opinions expressed are based on some factual experience. IMO

Sure, any amp (including the one in an iPod) will power a pair of RS-1s. I meant "Juice" as in "internals" with some real chokes and caps.

And how can an experience be factual? Can an experience be fiction?

I mean, I had the experience of listening to a Little Dot.

But maybe (to those who believe in "factual experience") it was just a fantasy.

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, any amp (including the one in an iPod) will power a pair of RS-1s. I meant "Juice" as in "internals" with some real chokes and caps.

And how can an experience be factual? Can an experience be fiction?

I mean, I had the experience of listening to a Little Dot.

But maybe (to those who believe in "factual experience") it was just a fantasy.

Maybe it would be easier to comprehend if you substituted the word actual in place of factual ....and whether or not an experience can be fiction I'll leave up to you....

I specifically asked if you had listened to the 1+ ..since it is by far the LD model that best synergizes with Grados in my opinion....it is relatively new and inexpensive and not many have had the opportunity to actually hear it so I was surprised when you said you had. And even more surprised when you made a blanket statement regarding it and Grados. It went contrary to most head-fiers opinions who have listened to it with their Grados...IMO

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it would be easier to comprehend if you substituted the word actual in place of factual ....and whether or not an experience can be fiction I'll leave up to you....

I specifically asked if you had listened to the 1+ ..since it is by far the LD model that best synergizes with Grados in my opinion....it is relatively new and inexpensive and not many have had the opportunity to actually hear it so I was surprised when you said you had. And even more surprised when you made a blanket statement regarding it and Grados. It went contrary to most head-fiers opinions who have listened to it with their Grados...IMO

I don't want to make this a debate about my subjective opinion over yours. We each had our own experience.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #19 of 28
I currently have been using my 125's through a X-meridian with upgraded opamps. Sounds wonderful to me, better than the hp out from my Pioneer Elite 55txi anyway. I am thinking about getting a MK III. Looks like a neat little gadget, and I can get a taste of what a tube amp sounds like with different tubes.

I am assuming that the MK III would be an improvement over the Meridians hp amp. Wouldn't it be? I will still use the Meridian as a source though.

Jul 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 28
Any other recommendations for amps that pair well with low impedance phones? Gilmore lite...anything else? The ld mkV has horrible bass with my 25om dt25...not recommended for low impedance phones, IMO

Jul 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #22 of 28
I'm very pleased with the LD 1+ and SR125. The SR125 sounded very dry with the Headroom Micro used previously. The new combo works very well with all of my sources, but is particularly sweet with my vinyl setup. YMMV.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #24 of 28
Both the 1+ and MKII are good choices w/ Grados. Get the 1+ if you are looking for a nightstand amp, the MKII if you will be using the pre for a desktop set up and you will not be disapointed. If you are they resell here at a decent price so you have little to loose.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #25 of 28
Sorry to bump an old thread, looking for similar opinions. I have a pair of 225is on the way and am looking into amp/dac options (will be out of my Xonar DX in the mean time). I was leaning toward some of the models mentioned in this thread, but I'd like to ensure that the amp I choose is capable of driving other headphones as well since I plan to add at least one or two pairs in the near future (example might be Pro 750s, DT880/600 (maybe), FA-003s, etc.).

Of the models mentioned that pair well with Grado, would you guys recommend certain ones when considering use with other headphones?

Oct 28, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #26 of 28
I used the LD 1+ with my SR125i and now with my Denon AH-D2000. I find that the amp is a very good match for the Denons (low impedance).

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #27 of 28
Hm, d2000 is actually what I was considering as a compliment for the 225is. Would love more feedback, but glad you like it.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #28 of 28
I could never get the Grados (SR125i and SR60 before that) to sound quite right and was constantly fiddling with my graphic EQ. The D2000 are such a great match to my existing equipment and sound preferences, I took the EQ out of the loop and just enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back