Which is the best amp for the Omega II?
Feb 10, 2008 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Richter Di

1000+ Head-Fier
I am searching for advise which is the best amplifier for the Stax Omega II.

My list up to now:

Tubed electrostatic amplifiers:
Singlepower ES-1
Headamp Aristaeus
Headamp Gilmore / Blue Hawaii
Rudistor Egmont
Rudistor Egmont Signature
McAlister Audio EA-6
McAlister Audio EA-4
McAlister Audio EA-1
WooAudio GES
Sennheiser HEV90
Stax SRM-T2

Non tubed:
HeadAmp's Gilmore Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier (KGSS)
Different Stax models

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 51
I have always wondered why Stax users bash the own Stax amps and blame them for lack of power and drive, wrong tone and many other flaws. Are they really that bad? Are other manufacturers' products really worth their high prices?
I'll be following this thread. I've always liked the Stax sound, for the sake of the sound, though musically didn't find them as engaging as some good dynamic cans. I wonder if this was for the amps, or just that electrostat cans, as their speaker counterparts, aren't for me. I could try some Omega II or 4070 with a capable amp in the future, but as the OP, I'd be very very unsure what to get.

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 51
'best' is such a broad term.

spritzer says nothing (yet) can drive the Omega II to its potential.

If you can actually find a SRM-T2 I'd be mighty interested in your impressions.

Most HeadFi-ers I've communicated with or seen post recommend the maxxed out versions of the ES-1 or the Blue Hawaii. Some prefer the KGSS.

There are other tubed Stax amps not mentioned in your list and I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that actually lists all the electrostatic amplifiers, including all solid state and tubed.

Good luck with your search.

EXTRA, EXTRA...Couldn't find the 'list of amps' thread but did find this one that should help (read the thread, not just the poll
wink.gif
) - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/pol...e60-o2-237291/

Also remember that it is about the overall system. As spritzer stated in http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/que...owners-226209/,

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quality source and cables matter a lot in a O2 setup and you can tailor the sound to your liking.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 51
You can be happy with a 717 or a 007t (or the newer versions) or want a more resolving amp with more power. With the Stax amps the bass is a little loose and the sound is softer, slightly more euphonic even. There is nothing wrong with that but they simply are better if they are fed more, good clean power. Not only voltage but current as well. Since the KGSS has gone up in price recently a used 717 is the best "sane" amp choice since it can be had for about or under 1k$.

My next amp will be a modified version of the BH with a beast of a PSU but it will be DIY as nobody builds such a thing.

Feb 10, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 51
Probably the following three (not in particular order):

1) Single Power ES-2
2) Single Power ES-1
3) KGBH SE

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #9 of 51
For what its worth I am perfectly happy with my SRM-007t.
Especially since I have never auditioned any of the amplifiers mentioned in this thread, and hence don't really know how much I am missing out of.

I am sure other Head-Fi members can be perfectly happy with a Stax amplifier as well.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 51
Thanks for the comments, I'll read the info.

Krmathis, where did you get the 007BL? I've only managed to find for decent prices from Japan the "old" Omega 2 in silver. Another question, have you compared your SRM-007t to the 717?

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Krmathis, where did you get the 007BL? I've only managed to find for decent prices from Japan the "old" Omega 2 in silver. Another question, have you compared your SRM-007t to the 717?

I bought my SR-007BL (and SRM-007t) through the local dealer, which happens to be the Scandinavian Stax Distributor. They were quite rare, so I consider myself a bit lucky who found one.

I have listened to the SRM-717, but never performed any comparison against the SRM-007t.

Feb 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my SR-007BL (and SRM-007t) through the local dealer, which happens to be the Scandinavian Stax Distributor. They were quite rare, so I consider myself a bit lucky who found one.

I have listened to the SRM-717, but never performed any comparison against the SRM-007t.

Thanks for replying. I suppose there's not any sound difference among the silver or black Omegas, or is there any? hehehe.
I suppose he offered a good deal. If I were to buy it to the spanish distributor I'd be paying more than twice the retail price in Japan. It makes no sense such a mark up.

I guess you didn't feel any needs to compare face to face the 007t to the 717, that's enough
wink.gif

Rgrds.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what its worth I am perfectly happy with my SRM-007t.
Especially since I have never auditioned any of the amplifiers mentioned in this thread, and hence don't really know how much I am missing out of.

I am sure other Head-Fi members can be perfectly happy with a Stax amplifier as well.
biggrin.gif

Without comparison, the 007t sounds just fine. But, if you hear an ES1, it will blow your socks off. You will never want to go back. That said, the 007t offers the best bang for the buck by far, and made me very happy until the moment I heard a maxxed out ES1. The sound difference is great, but so is the price.

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Without comparison, the 007t sounds just fine. But, if you hear an ES1, it will blow your socks off. You will never want to go back. That said, the 007t offers the best bang for the buck by far, and made me very happy until the moment I heard a maxxed out ES1. The sound difference is great, but so is the price.

I agree with the comments regarding the 007t and the ES-1. However, I think the Woo Audio GES is a better amp than the 007t (not heard the new 007tII) and a very good bang-for-the-buck amp. I heard it last November at Chiunufi and spent quite a bit of time on it with my Omegas and HE-60's and was quite surprised at how good it sounded, especially for the price. If you can find one used, then I think it is a no-brainer.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I head you!
wink.gif

Would certainly like to audition one of the aftermarket amplifiers (KGBH, Aristaeus, ES-1, ...) some day, as I am fully aware that they are an improvement over my current SRM-007t.
But sadly I have not found any in my area. Meaning that I will most probably have to buy one, blind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back