Which is the best amp for the Omega II?
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the comments regarding the 007t and the ES-1. However, I think the Woo Audio GES is a better amp than the 007t (not heard the new 007tII) and a very good bang-for-the-buck amp. I heard it last November at Chiunufi and spent quite a bit of time on it with my Omegas and HE-60's and was quite surprised at how good it sounded, especially for the price. If you can find one used, then I think it is a no-brainer.

Can the GES handle the Omega's? I'm looking at it for the HE60, but wondering how well it will do with the MK2's since I have read otherwise.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the GES handle the Omega's? I'm looking at it for the HE60, but wondering how well it will do with the MK2's since I have read otherwise.

I have the original 3yr old GES prototype here right now and it handles my HE60, ESP90, Lambda Signature and Gamma Pro very well with no lack of power or detail. I wrote up a mini-review in this thread a little while back.

Derekbmn said this older version sometimes didn't have enough power with the O2, but the current production model is apparently much better. I will have a current production GES (maxed with pro/normal bias jacks) here very soon, that maybe ships out next week, and I will compare the two then ship out this Prototype to the next reviewer. I actually sent money to Woo at the end of July to buy this one, then the following week I changed my mind. I thought I might buy an O2 someday and I decided to apply the money as down payment for a new one instead, adding pro/normal bias jacks in case I want to sell my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro.

If you (or anyone else) want to evaluate the prototype GES in your home, just email "feedback at wooaudio.com" and ask Jack. He will tell me where to ship this when I am done with it. All you have to do to get a free listen is do a writeup about it here in the stax thread (or a new thread and link to it).

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by starcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this thing about the bias on the jack with Stax cans??

Many vintage Stax use a 6-pin 230v bias supply rather than the current 580v 5-pin bias plug.

Sep 18, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by starcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is this thing about the bias on the jack with Stax cans??

Normal bias (6 pin) = 230 volts (200 volts for "really" old ones).
Pro bias (5 pin) = 580 volts

Since around 1990 all Stax headphone are Pro bias (580 volts). Prior to this there were several headphones with Normal bias (230 or 200 volts). Pro bias headphones are backwards compatible with Normal bias, but not the other way around.

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you (or anyone else) want to evaluate the prototype GES in your home, just email "feedback at wooaudio.com" and ask Jack. He will tell me where to ship this when I am done with it. All you have to do to get a free listen is do a writeup about it here in the stax thread (or a new thread and link to it).

Sounds very interesting. Does the GES have XLR inputs? Would be interested to compare the GES with my Hybrid Amp.

Some infos regarding the Hybrid Amp:
Developers Page with a lot of different DIY Stax Amps (English/German)
Some pictures of my Hybrid Amp
My Builders Webpage with some Information (only German)

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds very interesting. Does the GES have XLR inputs?

The GES is SE only unless you do some major modifications to the circuit. One could always just install XLR sockets and call is balanced like some amp builders do...
devil_face.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #25 of 51
Quote:

I have the original 3yr old GES prototype here right now and it handles my HE60, ESP90, Lambda Signature and Gamma Pro very well with no lack of power or detail. I wrote up a mini-review in this thread a little while back.

Derekbmn said this older version sometimes didn't have enough power with the O2, but the current production model is apparently much better. I will have a current production GES (maxed with pro/normal bias jacks) here very soon, that maybe ships out next week, and I will compare the two then ship out this Prototype to the next reviewer. I actually sent money to Woo at the end of July to buy this one, then the following week I changed my mind. I thought I might buy an O2 someday and I decided to apply the money as down payment for a new one instead, adding pro/normal bias jacks in case I want to sell my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro.

Thanks for the info, setting up a audition with Jack. I think he said that someone else requested before me, so I should be second in line.

I pray that the diy adapter that came with my HE60's works. lol

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #26 of 51
there are 3 new stat amps coming to the market in the (near) future.

* the RSA A-10
* the KGST by HeadAmp
* something by Woo Audio

only the first seems like it will be out soon. on the HeadAmp website, it says that the KGST is due out end of 2008, but i suspect that date doesn't mean much. as for Woo, i asked them recently about their new high end stat amp. they said one was in the works, but that no release date was planned for now. so that one could take a while.

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GES is SE only unless you do some major modifications to the circuit. One could always just install XLR sockets and call is balanced like some amp builders do...
devil_face.gif

The GES is internally balanced, so I can feed it a balanced signal from my balanced Apogee mini-DAC using my XLR>RCA adapter (I actually have two, a Jensens Transformers box which I plug my XLR cable into and then run my RCA cable out of, or my Neutrik XLR plugs with RCA jacks on them). I spoke to Jack Wu about it and there just wasn't room to do one set of XLR input and one set of RCA.

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are 3 new stat amps coming to the market in the (near) future.

* the RSA A-10
* the KGST by HeadAmp
* something by Woo Audio

only the first seems like it will be out soon. on the HeadAmp website, it says that the KGST is due out end of 2008, but i suspect that date doesn't mean much. as for Woo, i asked them recently about their new high end stat amp. they said one was in the works, but that no release date was planned for now. so that one could take a while.

I will be reviewing the A-10 when it is released. I don't have any more information about when or features, other than what is posted at the RSA website.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

The GES is internally balanced, so I can feed it a balanced signal from my balanced Apogee mini-DAC using my XLR>RCA adapter (I actually have two, a Jensens Transformers box which I plug my XLR cable into and then run my RCA cable out of, or my Neutrik XLR plugs with RCA jacks on them). I spoke to Jack Wu about it and there just wasn't room to do one set of XLR input and one set of RCA.

All electrostatic amps have to be dual differential (often dubbed balanced) or you would just get a heap of distortion but the input stage of the GES design is SE only. Same goes for the HEV90 and Aristaeus and you would need to make drastic changes to the circuit to make it fully dual differential. A XLR-RCA cable will only feed the amp with the + side of the balanced signal so it is just the same as using the RCA output of the source. You could add XLR sockets but that doesn't make the amp balanced either. It's a moot point though since there is no benefit from using balanced here and the quality of the source (and it's output stage) matters a lot more then what cable/connector you use.

Quote:

I will be reviewing the A-10 when it is released. I don't have any more information about when or features, other than what is posted at the RSA website.

I'll look forward to that review and I just hope that the amp won't suffer the same fate as the other RSA amp that bore that same name.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All electrostatic amps have to be dual differential (often dubbed balanced) or you would just get a heap of distortion but the input stage of the GES design is SE only. Same goes for the HEV90 and Aristaeus and you would need to make drastic changes to the circuit to make it fully dual differential. A XLR-RCA cable will only feed the amp with the + side of the balanced signal so it is just the same as using the RCA output of the source. You could add XLR sockets but that doesn't make the amp balanced either. It's a moot point though since there is no benefit from using balanced here and the quality of the source (and it's output stage) matters a lot more then what cable/connector you use.

I'll look forward to that review [A-10] and I just hope that the amp won't suffer the same fate as the other RSA amp that bore that same name.

You could also supply me with an SR-007 loaner for the review, if you feel like it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back