Which is the best amp for the Omega II?
Dec 12, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so did you get your GES HA? Wondering what you think of it.

I did get it a couple of months ago - Maxed GES with pro and normal bias jacks, and an RCA loop out on the rear for one of the inputs.

The GES prototype loaner that I had for 2 months basically sounded the same as Sherwood's SRM-T1 side by side, and power was about the same, although the SRM-T1 had maybe 2 db more low bass than the prototype. I was not able to compare my maxed GES to the T1 but I did compare it with the prototype that sounded like the T1. The maxed has more micro-detail air/space and ambience and transparency and it gains back that 2 db in bass that the SRM-T1 held over the prototype. The power output is basically the same as T1 or prototype, and as a low gain design it likes a high voltage source connected to the inputs. Timbre and tone are also very good as is dynamic response. It is sensitive to the source and sounds better with plaidplatypus's Lavry DA10 feeding it (with XLR RCA adapter) than with my Apogee mini-DAC which makes it sound a little tubey. But the Pico USB DAC amp also makes a good DAC/Pre-amp to feed the GES.

The GES Maxed sounds like it was made for the SR-Lambda, APS ESP950 and HE-60, but also drives the O2 Mk2 pretty well. With the GES/O2 combo I like most genre including Jazz, Classical, New Age, Electronic and Space Music, Acoustic and Folk and Vocals, and some rock or hip hop - but with the O2 Mk2 it just can't play to very loud volumes with electronica like Infected Mushroom which suck all the power out of it. Aside from that one genre and the inabilty to play very loud with O2 with that music, I am very happy with it. It gives me the same volume levels that I can get from my SRD-7 pro with a 12 watt per channel amp.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #47 of 51
Ah nice. Thanks for the impressions. Asking because I traded my Supra XLR for a GES Maxed
tongue.gif
I've sold all my dynamics already so didn't have a need for it. What tubes do you recommend?

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah nice. Thanks for the impressions. Asking because I traded my Supra XLR for a GES Maxed
tongue.gif
I've sold all my dynamics already so didn't have a need for it. What tubes do you recommend?

Well, I have been using the NOS 12BZ7 that Jack recommends for the Maxed and sells separately as an upgrade for the normal GES, while the normal GES gets the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7. I have not seen any 6S4 tubes on eBay lately for the rear, and nobody seems to roll those.

I do have a matched quad of cryo-treated re-issued Mullard 12AX7's that I really must get around to trying sometime. Maybe I'll pop them in tomorrow or this weekend and see how it sounds.

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not seen any 6S4 tubes on eBay lately for the rear, and nobody seems to roll those.

The 6S4(A) wasn't a popular tube back in the day so only a handful of companies made them but as with all other tubes, they were rebranded. I have a buch of 6S4A's and there is a wide range of "brands". I'm using Sylvania's now in my modified DIY Egmont and they are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back