Which is the best amp for the Omega II?
Sep 22, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by starcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How "big" is the difference between the SR-006II and the SR-007 both for the SRM-404 and O2 cans?

You mean between the SRM-006t and SRM-007t, driving the SR-404 and O2?
Not massive, but quite noticeable. The SRM-007t have quadruple tubes (compared to dual tubes in the SRM-006t), resulting in better control of the transducers.

The SRM-006t are quite capable for the SR-404, but come a bit short for the more demanding O2.

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be reviewing the A-10 when it is released. I don't have any more information about when or features, other than what is posted at the RSA website.

ray is going to loan you one for review? i know you have an HE60. do you also have an O2. that's a must.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ray is going to loan you one for review? i know you have an HE60. do you also have an O2. that's a must.

He doesn't have an SR-007 so that's why he's asking me for a loaner.
wink_face.gif
The HE60 does like a lot of power but reviewing without a SR-007 just doesn't make any sense. My guess is that this amp will not be cheap so it has to be able to drive the SR-007 with power to spare or it will not be competitive. I would also throw a Sigma into the mix and the Lambda Signature to check how much grip the amp has on the light, undamped diaphragms.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HE60 does like a lot of power but reviewing without a SR-007 just doesn't make any sense.

yep. i agree.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

He doesn't have an SR-007 so that's why he's asking me for a loaner.
wink_face.gif
The HE60 does like a lot of power but reviewing without a SR-007 just doesn't make any sense. My guess is that this amp will not be cheap so it has to be able to drive the SR-007 with power to spare or it will not be competitive. I would also throw a Sigma into the mix and the Lambda Signature to check how much grip the amp has on the light, undamped diaphragms.

I'm happy you haven't said NO yet, but would be relieved to find a loaner. I'm going to contact Asr and abs at nilenet.com, but would consider buying a used pair too. My problem is I'd have to sell an SRM-1 mk2 pro (or Travagans Green with SRD-6 or 7) with SR-5NB gold and a Darkvoice 336i dynamic amp with buttload of tubes to facilitate that.

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm happy you haven't said NO yet, but would be relieved to find a loaner. I'm going to contact Asr and abs at nilenet.com, but would consider buying a used pair too. My problem is I'd have to sell an SRM-1 mk2 pro (or Travagans Green with SRD-6 or 7) with SR-5NB gold and a Darkvoice 336i dynamic amp with buttload of tubes to facilitate that.

I haven't decided whether or nor I'll keep the modded SR-007A so lets talk about this later on. On a similar note I wouldn't use the Mk2/A unmodified as a reference unless you are well aware of it's own sound and how it compares to the Mk1.

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

All electrostatic amps have to be dual differential (often dubbed balanced) or you would just get a heap of distortion but the input stage of the GES design is SE only. Same goes for the HEV90 and Aristaeus and you would need to make drastic changes to the circuit to make it fully dual differential. A XLR-RCA cable will only feed the amp with the + side of the balanced signal so it is just the same as using the RCA output of the source. You could add XLR sockets but that doesn't make the amp balanced either. It's a moot point though since there is no benefit from using balanced here and the quality of the source (and it's output stage) matters a lot more then what cable/connector you use.

spritzer, which amps are dual differential from the input? Of course, I don't ask for a complete list (but possibly it is very short).

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #41 of 51
Off the top of my head:

Stax T1 (though it has to be modified) and all the models that are based on it (006t, 007t)
Stax 717/727
KGSS
KGBH
The Gilmore all tube DC amp
SP ES-1/Stax SRX
Egmont (the basic design that is)
The German high-amp designs
the Japanese 6BX7 SRPP design
The TubeCAD design

There are also some other lesser known designs but I'll leave them out.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
Quote:

I haven't decided whether or nor I'll keep the modded SR-007A so lets talk about this later on. On a similar note I wouldn't use the Mk2/A unmodified as a reference unless you are well aware of it's own sound and how it compares to the Mk1.

This thread brings back bad memories for me now. I'm really saddened that Spritzer sold the modded SR-007 without first checking to see if I would/could buy them. I woulda used a credit card and started selling off a bunch of stuff myself.
frown.gif

Somehow I feel obligated to add an SR-007 to my A-10 review, or I'll feel like I'm letting everyone down. I guess I still have time since the A-10 wont be out for a while longer, but I hate to sell off stuff without the new toy in hand as incentive to sell the things I still like. If anyone here has a reasonable priced used SR-007 to sell just PM me, but the modded ones were what I was really after so now my hopes are dashed. Last time I heard SR-007 Mk2 in July I was not all that impressed, and liked the Lambda Signature better (on ES-1, Woo GES prototype, HEV70 and SRM-1 Mk2 Pro). I'll have my Woo GES maxed with Pro and Normal bias jacks here this week (shipped Friday) that I could have compared vs the Prototype with SR-007, before I ship out the Prototype to the next listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back