Which headphone should i buy? (options)
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

c2h6

New Head-Fier
I am looking for general purpose headphones i.e. all genres (under 250$) and have found 3 which have fairly good reviews.

As i am essentially a "noob" would you guys/girls care to share advice/opinions on which of the following 3 is best (pros/cons would be great) or otherwise suggest a better one

Focal Spirit One 
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio-Technica ATH-M5

Cheers :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 7
SpiritOne is kinda edgy sounding..high energy. abit too much to my ears for long sessions.
And the build quality at the hinges might be problematic, the one i tested had a broken hinge. 
So do feel one in your hands in a store if u are very keen on it.

What equipment are u having now...your setup, and also taste in music..
u get better advice if u share more info.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I am looking for general purpose headphones i.e. all genres (under 250$) and have found 3 which have fairly good reviews.

As i am essentially a "noob" would you guys/girls care to share advice/opinions on which of the following 3 is best (pros/cons would be great) or otherwise suggest a better one

Focal Spirit One 
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio-Technica ATH-M5

Cheers :)

Heya,

Do you like your music flat/neutral, warm, or outright bassy? And what are you plugging these into?

Very best,

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the replies,

Currently i am only playing them from a music program on my PC or phone. However i do have access to an amplifier so i can work that into the system if needed. (again im not a massive audiophile i just like to enjoy my music when i listen to it)

I listen to a very broad range: (hence my need for a general broad range headphone)
Bob dylan, neil young, eric clapton, the saints, dire straits, ACDC, norah jones/eva cassidy/james taylor. But in saying that i will occasionaly listen to a rap/hip hop song, electronic or hardcore

Im not to concerned about a noise reducing headphone because its mainly for indoor use (in saying that it wouldnt be a negative to have one)

@MalVeauX:
I dont link my music particularly bassy (like the beats range), but in saying that i dont want it to be too neutral/warm that i couldnt chuck on a Saints album and not get a more uptempo rock hit

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Thanks for the replies,

Currently i am only playing them from a music program on my PC or phone. However i do have access to an amplifier so i can work that into the system if needed. (again im not a massive audiophile i just like to enjoy my music when i listen to it)

I listen to a very broad range: (hence my need for a general broad range headphone)
Bob dylan, neil young, eric clapton, the saints, dire straits, ACDC, norah jones/eva cassidy/james taylor. But in saying that i will occasionaly listen to a rap/hip hop song, electronic or hardcore

Im not to concerned about a noise reducing headphone because its mainly for indoor use (in saying that it wouldnt be a negative to have one)

@MalVeauX:
I dont link my music particularly bassy (like the beats range), but in saying that i dont want it to be too neutral/warm that i couldnt chuck on a Saints album and not get a more uptempo rock hit

Thanks in advance everyone :)

In that case, take the HD598 off your list.

Maybe look into:

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Hifiman HE-300 revision 2

Very best,

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #6 of 7
I just went through all of that music with my AKG Q701s and I was very happy. Except for eva cassedy. That was just wayyyy too soft for my taste. Norah Jones was my limit.

I would highly recommend the Q701s for your fist selection of music. However they wouldn't be as bassy for the rap and hip-hop songs either.

If you don't mind used headphones, the sennheiser HD 650 headphones are great.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
I just went through all of that music with my AKG Q701s and I was very happy. Except for eva cassedy. That was just wayyyy too soft for my taste. Norah Jones was my limit.
I would highly recommend the Q701s for your fist selection of music. However they wouldn't be as bassy for the rap and hip-hop songs either.
If you don't mind used headphones, the sennheiser HD 650 headphones are great.

It is a gift so used headphones would be off the table.
Thanks for the advice i will have to look into the AKG Q701s in more detail

Quote:

In that case, take the HD598 off your list.

Maybe look into:

Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Hifiman HE-300 revision 2

Very best,

Would the HD598 be off the list because it is to soft? Drats i liked the look of them haha

Also would the Beyer 250ohm not be suited to direct computer/ipod input? Meaning do you always require an amp?

And does anyone (including yourself) have an opinion of which one (beyer DT880 or ultrasone HFI 2400) would be better for my situation?

Also do you have an opinion of the AKGs Tjj226 Angel had suggested?

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back