Which entry level-IEM?
Aug 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wINDy

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
I'm looking for an entry-level IEM in the market for about $50USD++ or more?
I have been in the head-fi scene for quite some time last time, but disappeared for months. It seems that there is so many options out there for me to choose.
I've played with a number of IEMs, and the most recent being the Fischer Audio Eterna and Nuforce NE-6. My Eterna went missing after about 2-3months of use and then I bought the NE-6 because there was no stock of the Eterna when I wanted to purchase it again. It sounded a bit close but I admit I do miss the Eterna, but now that there is more IEMs around, I wonder should I take a look at them?
I had thought of saving up to get the superfi5pro, but seems that it's discontinued? I couldn't find it on UE's website anymore. 5pro was definitely something that left a great impression on me, the sound that I always look towards, even better with the ES2 cables.

I listen to a lot of dynamic rock,metal,trance and some acoustic pop classical here and there, but I definitely like my earphones to be a bit on the bassy side, but not muddy. There should still be a certain level of clarity still.

IEMs that are available in my area to purchase..
- a-Jays?
- Brainwavz M2 , I can get this really cheap if I want to.
- Denon C551
- Klipsch S2
- Soundmagic PL50?
- Buy the Eterna again?

Or is there anything out in the market that I can look at as well? I'm quite lost on this. I have no chance on auditioning these as much though.

Aug 28, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 4
what's not on your list, but represents a terrific sonic bargain imo, are the altec lansing (etymotic) units - the im616 and im716 iems. they sometimes pop up on the used list for <$50 and are both really nice units. iirc they originally sold for $149 & $199 respectively, and were worth imo.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 4
I'd go for the Brainwavz, especially if you can get them cheaper than the others. They're a bit different from the Eterna overall but neither better nor worse IMO.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

"Or is there anything out in the market that I can look at as well? I'm quite lost on this. I have no chance on auditioning these as much though"

I have a pair of Ultimate Ears Metro.Fi 220 and think they are epic for the price. I get plenty of bass when EQ on ipod touch is off and a fairly good soundstage (again for the price) IMO. 
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back