WHICH COWON PRODUCT HAS THE BEST SOUND QUALITY ?
Oct 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

mertovic

New Head-Fier
Hello 

I want to buy a Cowon mp3 player but i can't decide.
I just want to listen to music not watch videos.So i want the best audio quality.
I need the best audio quality.Price is not an important factor.You can suggest me other brands except Cowon.
I wonder that what is the different between Jet Effect 3.0 or 5.0 , BBE ? 

I have an audiophile headphones which is Sennheiser HD 598 and a portable earphones Sennheiser IE80
I am looking for a mp3 player for them.I am very grateful when you professionals help me.

Thank You

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 60
I like most my D2+;I fixed 128G SD card in it and I do not need to lug X7 around,which is bulky.But X7 sound quality is the best if you do not mind its bulk.,
I used to carry it attached to my belt - now I have D2+144G in shirt pocket. And damage? together - 200US$.I play it through Victor FX700 and M50.
most people like J3,apparently - same sound as X7,for you to admire.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 60
The most popular devices are S9 and J3 i guess and these two devices don't have to much difference.
I have a portable amp , but i don't prefer to use it.So i can use it even if it's bulk.I just want a nice sound quality anymore.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 60
I've owned / own S9, C2, D2+ and that's how I rate them in that order. I wasn't overly impressed with D2+ SQ, it seemed a little congested in soundstage missing that airy sensation S9 has. I sold the D2+ and purchased a C2 which I find sounds better than D2+ but not the S9.

What the S9 has in advantage over C2 is a slightly wider soundstage, more obvious imaging and of detail and there's a better black space behind the music.

The C2 is no slouch and I rate it very highly, not far behind the S9. The D2+ however while I loved the look and feel, didn't meet the others in SQ. IMO.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 60
Well i'm kinda going to hijack this thread.

My cowon J3 is failing on me. When i move it around too much the sd cards disconnects or something and my player thinks my headphone is disconnected. I can be fixed by disabling speaker mode and by not usen an SD card but it's not the smoothest solution. I'm looking for an upgrade too, but I was thinking about rocoo products since I will be using them with custom iem's. And I think they will be sensitive.

Or are there cowons out there that don't have the hiss my J3 has?

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 60
Well i'm kinda going to hijack this thread.

My cowon J3 is failing on me. When i move it around too much the sd cards disconnects or something and my player thinks my headphone is disconnected. I can be fixed by disabling speaker mode and by not usen an SD card but it's not the smoothest solution. I'm looking for an upgrade too, but I was thinking about rocoo products since I will be using them with custom iem's. And I think they will be sensitive.

Or are there cowons out there that don't have the hiss my J3 has?

You may probably want to consider the Z2.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/594395/cowon-z2-the-complete-review-from-izzi-going

if you're concerned about hiss with your Cowon J3 I cannot recommend Hisound players they're notorious for hiss, not just a little bit either. if you do some searching around you will see what I mean.

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 60
you can also send your j3 back for repair, even if it is out of warranty. but seeing your country the cost and shipping might cost almost the same as a brand new dap but im not so sure what exactly is the problem with your unit.

my friend had a dead screen with his j3 (or was it s9) and it costed around 150usd including shipping to repair it.

although it is not as worse with an old sony walkman mp3 player (nw-e016) replacing battery which costs around 150usd in an official sony repair center locally lol

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 60
As far as i know - all latest Cowons have same hardware for sound, so it almost makes no sense what will you choose:c2, j3 or z2.
I've tried j3 and i want to say that it sounds really good with EQ on.

Nov 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #14 of 60
As far as i know - all latest Cowons have same hardware for sound, so it almost makes no sense what will you choose:c2, j3 or z2.
I've tried j3 and i want to say that it sounds really good with EQ on.

That's not true, they sound different I know between owning C2 and S9 at the same time, they vary in soundstage, separation, dynamics. the higher models have a more refined sound including more of of each areas I mentioned. The Cowon S9 is slightly smoother, warmer, has a better black space behind the music, the C2 is a touch brighter and rather energetic. They all hold a similar Cowon sound sig like Sony, but there are definite increases in certain areas.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 60
Quote:
That's not true, they sound different I know between owning C2 and S9 at the same time, they vary in soundstage, separation, dynamics. the higher models have a more refined sound including more of of each areas I mentioned. The Cowon S9 is slightly smoother, warmer, has a better black space behind the music, the C2 is a touch brighter and rather energetic. They all hold a similar Cowon sound sig like Sony, but there are definite increases in certain areas.

Well, i googled it, and find out that c2 and j3(and d3) use exactly the same DAC - Wolfson 8960, so difference between them should be minimal, z2 uses 8960g(should be a little bit better than previous one), s9 - 8750S

Quote:
so the i10 is as good as the j3?

I was talking about c2, j3 or z2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back