Which budget SS amp?
May 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
Ok so I've narrowed it down to a few here and just wanted to check to see if I have the prices and/or specs right:

Matrix M-Stage amp (variable gain, socketed opamps) $270
Audio GD C2C/C2 $422 (variable gain?)
Sheer Audio Dynalo HA-006+ (no variable gain) $280, ++ $450
Kicas Caliente ($350 plus $30 shipping)

Others:

Shanling PH-100 ($220)
Meier Corda headfive (availble?)
HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (avaible?)
Terminator
M^3

I'dl like to buy new (hence the "available" designation on a couple of amps), and keep it around $300 (and no more than $500 but really under $400) and I'd like to have adjustable gain and socketed opamps for easy switching.

This all points me towards the Matrix M-Stage amp which I am leaning heavily towards right now. Also because it's supposed to be a great match with the AKG 702's which I have (and for now am very satisfied with) as well as has a neutral SS and the ability to easily adjust gain so I can use it with my current 225i's and other future cans I may get (it's flexible iow).

Anyway, any other SS amps I'm missing? Any prices wrong (some of these are hard to hunt down) or specs wrong (can you adjust the gain yourself on the C2 for instance? I think it is fixed, although you choose the fixed setting)? Is the M^3 a DIY? (I don't want that!).

Thanks for any corrections, clarifications. In all likelihood I'll order the M-Stage and be happy with it.

Oh, and I don't want the Heed Canamp after reading about it.

May 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 14
that's a solid list of contenders.
i've read about all of those.  and i honestly think it probably comes down to features and functions more than anything...
since the m-stage has the features you need, it sounds like it may be the one...

btw, from what i've read, you can have the ha-006 set to a gain of your liking before being shipped.
and, the ++ model has stepped attenuator, making the gain less of an issue because the sound is good at any position on the knob...

i have the caliente, and really love it with my k702.  but, i can't honestly say it would be better than any of the others ss amps you mention...

good luck!

May 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 14
Yea, I tend to over shop...I omitted a few here as it is!

You're probably right about the features and functions being most important (they are all probably good amps so you really can't go wrong) which the M-Stage seems to have. (And price!).

I know you can get the gain set on the HA-006 before shipping, and that's fine if I just want to use my 702's and get it set for those, but then what about my 225i's and any other can I might get down the road? On the M-Stage I can just flick some switches on it to reset the gain. Thanks for the info on the ++ model.

Is my price on the KICAS right? Is the Caliente the same as that one or a little different version? I think they are mostly sold out right now.

Thanks for the input!

May 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 14
the $350 for the caliente is right, i believe, as they are on sale at the moment.
normally $400.

yeah... i guess gain would still be an issue going from grados to akgs with the ha-006+.
but with the ++, no matter which click on the dial, the sound would be balanced... so less of an issue.

May 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 14
$350 isn't bad (well $380 shipped), and I'd want the straight KICAS (for the neutral SS). But if it isn't much (if any) better than the M-Stage then I guess there is no reason to get it. No user adjustable gain and maybe no socketed opamp? (I'd like to be able to easily switch opamps without soldering).

I'd be more interested in the ++ if it wasn't so pricey in comparison to the others.

So many good choices lol.

May 23, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
No user adjustable gain and maybe no socketed opamp?

well... the kicas is a discreet design.  no opamps to roll... 
wink.gif

May 23, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
well... the kicas is a discreet design.  no opamps to roll... 
wink.gif

Ah got ya. I'd prefer to have that option as it seems it might be a fun way to tweak the sound, kind of like tubes...unless switching opamps isn't supposed to make that much difference. Switching tubes in my HF-1 I can definitely hear differences.

Well as many suggestions as replies. That just tells me that I can't really go wrong.

May 23, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 14
No...about how much would that be used?

Arghhh...so many choices!

Edit: Screw it, I think I'm going with the M-Stage. I can't get over the price, user gain switching and opamp rolling, synergy it has with the 702's and overall compatibility it is supposed to have with several cans.

This will also leave me enough money to look for  a decent ($200ish) closed can.

Thanks for the input though guys!

May 23, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
No...about how much would that be used?

Arghhh...so many choices!

Edit: Screw it, I think I'm going with the M-Stage. I can't get over the price, user gain switching and opamp rolling, synergy it has with the 702's and overall compatibility it is supposed to have with several cans.

This will also leave me enough money to look for  a decent ($200ish) closed can.

Thanks for the input though guys!

Great choice - it's a stellar amp I think - especially for the K702s. Also - since you mentioned closed cans - I've been running my K271 MKIIs from the M-Stage as well this week and can tell you that it is another brilliant match. They are outstanding closed phones IMO and since you seem to enjoy your k702s so much - you won't be disappointed.

May 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks lescanard. I have to say reading some of your posts in the M-Stage thread is one reason I've decided on it. 
k701smile.gif
The K271 are in my list of closed cans to look at for sure as well. I might want to try a whole other maker though, just to get a different perspective, a different sound signature. But we'll see. See you in the M-Stage thread!

May 24, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 14
Sheer Audio HA-006++ ($450) <--- Good Dynalo. Get that and don't look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back