Which albums sound best with your Grado?
Mar 26, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #77 of 295
I also agree on the Dire Straits.
I also like Foreplay/Long Time by Boston, Led Zeppelin IV, Anything by Cake, Mystic Rhythms by Rush, Dark Side of the Moon, The Cars Candy-O album, Love Alive by Heart, Aqualung by Jethro Tull, Traveling without Moving by Jamiroquai and the Doors.

There are many others.  Too many to mention here but anything with a lot of dynamic range and clarity.

Mar 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #78 of 295
Any Ed Hall record. Sun Ra's Lanquidity sounds so gosh damn amazing.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #79 of 295

Quote:
I also agree on the Dire Straits.
I also like Foreplay/Long Time by Boston, Led Zeppelin IV, Anything by Cake, Mystic Rhythms by Rush, Dark Side of the Moon, The Cars Candy-O album, Love Alive by Heart, Aqualung by Jethro Tull, Traveling without Moving by Jamiroquai and the Doors.

There are many others.  Too many to mention here but anything with a lot of dynamic range and clarity.

I have all but one of those on my iPod classic, including Cake's discography and 2 versions of some of them. :) Good choices.

One of my favorites is The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Another is Okonokos, a live set from My Morning Jacket. Both of them sound like you're on stage with the bands; pretty awesome. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #80 of 295
Amen Dune, any ambient, the new The Men LP

Mar 26, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #82 of 295

Quote:
I have all but one of those on my iPod classic, including Cake's discography and 2 versions of some of them. :) Good choices.

One of my favorites is The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble. Another is Okonokos, a live set from My Morning Jacket. Both of them sound like you're on stage with the bands; pretty awesome. 

Yeah I also have SRV "In Step".  It's a great album.  There are just so many great ones it's difficult to mention them all.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #85 of 295
nice thread guys, keep it going :D

i've got a stock SR225i & a modded SR60i & the albums i've enjoyed this easter weekend are:

Leftfield - leftism & rhythm & stealth
Massive Attack - heligoland
Dave Grusin - mountain dance
Joe Sample - rainbow seeker
Bob James - one & three
Steely Dan - aja (steve hoffman master)

all albums ripd as WAV w/ eac played through rockboxed ipod 5.5 line out to muse mk2 w/ genalex golden lion 12au7

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #86 of 295
Was lucky enough to receive a pair of PS1000s for Christmas/Birthday this year, and there are a few albums that I go back to again and again for the sheer delight of the production and the music. I look for clarity, extension up and down the dynamic range, soundstage, and good music (oh, really?). I like pretty much like all genres, so my playlist is all over the place.

Album -- Group -- Genre

Rossz Csillag Alatt Született -- Venetian Snares -- Breakcore
O'o -- The Dreamers (composed by John Zorn) -- Surf/Jazz
The Forest and the Sea -- Leafcutter John -- Electronic (a liberal definition of electronic)
Old World Underground -- Metric -- New Wave-influenced Alternative
El Oso -- Soul Coughing -- Uh. Genres sometimes fall short. Pop alternative rock jazz with samples?
Tanz - Tim Sparks -- Classical guitar

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #88 of 295
My MS2i's aren't terribly forgiving, which as you guys know turns out to be a double-edged sword. I'll try to remain neutral in regards to the individual albums' various pressings and remasters...

Alison Krauss is absolutely blissful!
Bruce Springsteen- most everything, especially Darkness on the Edge of Town, and Born in the USA
Pink Floyd- Pulse (live),The Wall (suits the Grado sound better than DTOTM, imo)
The Who- Who's Next, Quadrophenia, Live at Leeds
Metallica- Kill em All, Black Album, Garage Inc.
The Greencards- Viridian, Weather and Water
Clannad- Legend
Bert Jansch- A Rare Conundrum, L.A. Turnaround Remasters
Joni Mitchell- Blue
Leo Kottke- -6 and -12 String Guitar
The Pogues- Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash, If I Should Fall From Grace With God
The Swell Season- Strict Joy
Dire Straits- everything
Jethro Tull- most everything
Thin Lizzy- Dedication, some others
Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins- Neck and Neck
SRV- most everything
Rodrigo Y Gabriela- 11:11
Kansas- The Best of Kansas
Porcupine Tree- obvious pick...
Van Morrison- everything
The Chieftans- everything
I guess a better question for me would have been "what doesn't sound great with your Grados?"
smily_headphones1.gif
...Bob Dylan's harmonica on Blonde on Blonde!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back