Which albums sound best with your Grado?
Oct 13, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #286 of 295
51CH3fvp0AL.jpg

Oz Noy - Schizophrenic

This album sounds wonderful with the SR-60i as well as the SR-225i(w/Sony PHA-1A amp/dac).

His jawdropping grooves sound great with Grado tuning and some of his chords only sound this good and crunchy with Grado.

Can't wait to get the 325e for this and to hear the Jazz Pistols.

Jazz Pistols - Special Treatment
Jazz Pistols - Bugs
Jazz Pistols - Sex In A Pan

Jan 6, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #287 of 295

Steely Dan's albums & Donald Fagen's albums are about the best recorded/produced albums I've ever heard. The production of these albums reflects the obsessive meticulous attention to every musical note and sound which inhabits Donald Fagen & Walter Becker.  The only exception would be "Katy Lied" due to technical studio screw ups (according to Fagen & Becker) but it appears that the remastered version, which goes back to the excellent "Citizen Dan" 1993 box set, has rectified most of the technical sound problems; to my ears the latter album sounds better than most modern recordings, post 1970-.  

This music is sublime w/ the PS1Ke, PS500e & SR325e which I own.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #288 of 295
Dave Matthews - Some Devil (2003)
Alice In Chains - MTV Unplugged (1996)
Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems (2014)
Ludovico Einaudi - Una mattina (2004)
Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco (1990)
Anne Bisson - Blue Mind (2009)
Joe Louis Walker - Between A Rock And The Blues (2009)
Ben Harper - Welcome to the cruel world (1994)
John Campbell - One Believer (1991)
Keb' Mo' - Keb' Mo' (1994)

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call (1997)

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen (1985)

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #290 of 295
Most of my albums (and I do have quite a few, from all genres pretty much)
sound best with my Grado's.
smile.gif

I think - to parse it further - my RS1i's really shine with percussion -
especially the snare drum, which IMO they get right better than any
other headphone I've heard -
and with harpsichord (another percussion instrument, of course).

Feb 22, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #293 of 295
Manau panique cel vol 1 and 3

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #294 of 295

Steely Dan's albums & Donald Fagen's albums are about the best recorded/produced albums I've ever heard. The production of these albums reflects the obsessive meticulous attention to every musical note and sound which inhabits Donald Fagen & Walter Becker. The only exception would be "Katy Lied" due to technical studio screw ups (according to Fagen & Becker) but it appears that the remastered version, which goes back to the excellent "Citizen Dan" 1993 box set, has rectified most of the technical sound problems; to my ears the latter album sounds better than most modern recordings, post 1970-.

This music is sublime w/ the PS1Ke, PS500e & SR325e which I own.

Feb 22, 2021 at 8:43 PM Post #295 of 295
Those are, IMO, some very good sounding albums indeed.
(In fact just last night listened to Can't Buy a Thrill - amazing how well it holds up after
so much time. Perhaps their best, though of course other places are more suited to
that kind of discussion.

Also slightly OT, way back I became friendly with Roger Nichols, the engineer on most
if not all of their albums. He was a very thoughtful, precise, and open-minded bloke.
Loved his work, took great pride in it, but always open-minded never letting ego
get in the way,

And kudos as well to their producer, Gary Katz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back