Which albums sound best with your Grado?
Jun 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #271 of 295
  Was listening to 'Future Days' by Can yesterday on my 325is, sounded spectacular 
basshead.gif

Intresting,this Kind of avant-prog I listen also to, and is there enough bass?

Jul 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #273 of 295
Wow, what a great thread. I'm glad I've stumbled onto it as I have a ps500 purchase pending.

Most of this is music (Artists) I've never heard before and it will be fun to try it out. However, does anyone have any good punk, hard rock, ska, hardcore, metalcore music to recommend that will sound fab with my new Grados??

Thanks for any input

Oct 26, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #276 of 295
Feist - The Reminder
Tallis Scholars - The Best of the Renaissance
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love. The Sensual Word, Aerial
Television - Marquee Moon
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Eddie Harris - The Electrifying Eddie Harris
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow
The Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears
Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves.
Saint Etienne - Finisterre

Edit - how could I forget

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (especially title track)
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
Michael Nyman - Nyman Brass (or any of the soundtracks from Peter Greenaway's films).
The Blue Nile - Hats, A Walk Across the Rooftops

PS The Blue Nile above albums were on Linn Records, as in the same Linn that makes the nice kit. Hats I think is one of the most beautifully mastered albums I've ever, ever heard, if not the best. The dynamics and clarity are amazing without sacrificing any atmosphere and yet Paul Buchanan's emotional vocals cut right to the core. Sophistipop might not appeal to you but the sounds are beautiful.

Anyone remember Mark Radcliffe's "Out On Blue Six" on R1 many years ago? Alongside the late Mr J. Peel introduced me to much of the music I now love.

Background - I had some SR60s a few years ago, got damaged in a house move 3 years ago. On Monday I'm getting the SR225e for my 40th!!!

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #277 of 295
YamaVega:

The Selecter? Have a few in FLAC from them that sounded great. In fact anything minimal and tight will really show off the Grado strengths.

Hard rock I can't really help. I used to listen to Iron Maiden as a teenager but stupidly threw away all my CDs when I met an indie girl at 17. I'd like to try a few of their tracks as the albums were always well produced whatever you think of the genre.

Maybe NIN and Faith No More would work really well too (god I have to listen to FNM again right now!!)

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #278 of 295
  Feist - The Reminder
Tallis Scholars - The Best of the Renaissance
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love. The Sensual Word, Aerial
Television - Marquee Moon
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Eddie Harris - The Electrifying Eddie Harris
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me
Sarah McLachlan - Afterglow
The Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
Yazoo - Upstairs at Eric's
This Mortal Coil - It'll End in Tears
Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves.
Saint Etienne - Finisterre

Edit - how could I forget

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain (especially title track)
Iron Butterfly - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
Michael Nyman - Nyman Brass (or any of the soundtracks from Peter Greenaway's films).
The Blue Nile - Hats, A Walk Across the Rooftops

PS The Blue Nile above albums were on Linn Records, as in the same Linn that makes the nice kit. Hats I think is one of the most beautifully mastered albums I've ever, ever heard, if not the best. The dynamics and clarity are amazing without sacrificing any atmosphere and yet Paul Buchanan's emotional vocals cut right to the core. Sophistipop might not appeal to you but the sounds are beautiful.

Anyone remember Mark Radcliffe's "Out On Blue Six" on R1 many years ago? Alongside the late Mr J. Peel introduced me to much of the music I now love.

Background - I had some SR60s a few years ago, got damaged in a house move 3 years ago. On Monday I'm getting the SR225e for my 40th!!!

Haha ... used to listen to Mark & Lard's latenight show on Radio 1 ("the graveyard shift") when I was revising for my A levels ...

Some good choices there! Just dug out A Thousand Leaves, not listened in years ... Karen Koltrane sounds pretty good through my MS1s ...

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #279 of 295
Release the Panic - Red
Until We Have Faces - Red
Oxygen-Inhale - Thousand Foot Krutch
Vice Verses - Switchfoot
The Edge of the Earth - Switchfoot
Vital (Deluxe Version) - Anberlin
Dark is the Way, Light is a Place - Anberlin
Extrimist - Demon Hunter

all of them sounded lively and superb for me at least on my Grado SR60e :)

Oct 12, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #281 of 295
I have just got my first Grado, the SR225e.

Neil Young- Psychedelic Pill
Tony Joe White- One Hot July
Hank Williams lll- Long Gone Daddy
Ruben Gonzalez- Introducing Ruben Gonzalez
Frank Zappa- Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar

I have about 11 hours on the 225s and these were the standout albums. Hank and Neil were the first two albums I listened to. Talk about being hooked on the Grado sound straight away!
PS500e will be ordered on payday.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #282 of 295
I have just got my first Grado, the SR225e.

Neil Young- Psychedelic Pill
Tony Joe White- One Hot July
Hank Williams lll- Long Gone Daddy
Ruben Gonzalez- Introducing Ruben Gonzalez
Frank Zappa- Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar

I have about 11 hours on the 225s and these were the standout albums. Hank and Neil were the first two albums I listened to. Talk about being hooked on the Grado sound straight away!
PS500e will be ordered on payday.
Which improvement you expect from the 500e over the 225e?

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #283 of 295
Hi Willy, I'm not looking at the PS500e for improvement over the 225e.I'm simply hoping it will be an excellent headphone to listen to. I have investigated the Grado lineup as best I can from my far flung location and the 500e and MS Pro are on my hit list. If the 225e wasn't to my taste then it would stop there. Happily it is and even more happily a 500e has come up, open box, $200 discount, which in Oz makes it the same price as the RS2.
I would appreciate any thoughts you have but bear in mind that I'm not neglecting my offspring's nourishment or education as I pursue the pleasures of collecting a few different Grado models. In other words, economic rationalism doesn't come into it!

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #284 of 295
Hi Willy, I'm not looking at the PS500e for improvement over the 225e.I'm simply hoping it will be an excellent headphone to listen to. I have investigated the Grado lineup as best I can from my far flung location and the 500e and MS Pro are on my hit list. If the 225e wasn't to my taste then it would stop there. Happily it is and even more happily a 500e has come up, open box, $200 discount, which in Oz makes it the same price as the RS2.
I would appreciate any thoughts you have but bear in mind that I'm not neglecting my offspring's nourishment or education as I pursue the pleasures of collecting a few different Grado models. In other words, economic rationalism doesn't come into it!
In Germany the 500e cost 699 Euro:disappointed:

Oct 12, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #285 of 295
That converts to 1078 aud. The RS1e is slightly less than that here which makes the 500e discount price of $749 aud quite the bargain.
Adding to the album list, I listened to Krokus- Dirty Dynamite last night. The rhythm section was just spine tingling through the 225e. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back