Where to go next. confused
Dec 8, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #16 of 33

Quote:
well do you like yours...?

thje 325I

i dont want a closed can, realized open would sound better.

I owned them fot 2 years before selling them.

couldn't take the highs after a while... classic metal like metallica and maiden sound great on them, but I don't know it will be what you want for death metal....but if you love your 225i and you want more bass and more highs go for it.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #17 of 33
I' v had the denon D2000, but to me it is very laid back, I feel like a was sitting far from the music (compare to my hd 650; 595 and ath a 900)

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 33
I can see on forums that 325i have more bass than 225i and some people even prefer them compare to rs2 and rs1

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #19 of 33
well this is my leading contender at the moment the 325I... if they can also inprove on clarity and detail, i wont mind that. i can imagine screams would sound that much more intense with some nice high end... my ears are young and not easily bothered.... you can play nails on a chalk board at a loud level and id be fine, i cant seem that the highs could be much different.

and i dont have a pair of 225i anymore i sold them..

i have listened to 325i for about one song and couldnt tell the difference between them and the 225i from a quick A B but it was only a 3 minute difference. i dont mind upgrading and spending the money

but can some1 evaluate a major difference between the two.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #21 of 33

Quote:
i plan to listen to a lot of despised icon, whitechapel suicide silence, carnifex,

i feel dillinger and tony daza will sound like that no matter what you play it out of it, that anoyying screech is kind of their sound =)

True dat, sir, but other albums by the same guys are not as bad.  Well, Danza's pretty consistent across all their albums, but for Dillinger "No Heroes" is less sibilant and "You Fail Me" kinda sounds muddy.  Same goes for Converge.  Norma Jean sound pretty freakin awesome on 325i.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 33

Quote:

Quote:
i plan to listen to a lot of despised icon, whitechapel suicide silence, carnifex,

i feel dillinger and tony daza will sound like that no matter what you play it out of it, that anoyying screech is kind of their sound =)

True dat, sir, but other albums by the same guys are not as bad.  Well, Danza's pretty consistent across all their albums, but for Dillinger "No Heroes" is less sibilant and "You Fail Me" kinda sounds muddy.  Same goes for Converge.  Norma Jean sound pretty freakin awesome on 325i.

so do you recommend them, or no?

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #23 of 33
You want to listen to metal on SR325i? That's sibilance central IMO.

The Ultrasone HFI 580 is great for metal. Plenty of bass impact and upfront energy. Of all the headphones I have ever worn, the HFI 580 was the one that let me "rock out" the most XD  You'd be hard pressed to find another headphone with the bass impact, detail, and energy it has

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 33
err.... closed can no go for me, plus i can afford a higher end can at the moment..

maybe my ears just arent as picky as everyone elses here....

would you reccomend metal for a 225I you would, so i dont see why the 325I wouldnt get a thumbs up considering it has more bass.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 33
If you can handle more treble, give it a try. I'll also add that they are MUCH heavier. The plastic which made the 225 light will not be there to benefit. You will feel the scratchy pads on your ears even more. I had the 325is for a year. It was the year I stopped listening to rock. They made my ears hurt too much to keep listening. Boy were my ears red, but I have large ears with protruding cartilage.

I upgraded to Denons D7000 and I started listening to rock again. Totally different cans from Grado though.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 33
weight wont be a problem for me, nor will treble i think, i might have to give them a go, after i put toghether my funds... and see if i can start rebuilding my home setup.

i have a grado vendor literally 1 minute walk across the street from me. im just way too busy to stop in and sit there for a while and audition.

i know some of you are prob very jelous of that. but i dont have the time =(.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #27 of 33
i don't understand this or agree with this at all. to me, aggressive music needs to be tamed. aggressive music already sounds aggressive enough, why get an aggressive sounding headphone to make it sound even more aggressive.

i may be in the minority here, but i really enjoy rock and metal with my HD650. i don't like harshness, brightness, sibilance or any of that fatiguing stuff.

i wouldn't call it common sense, i'd call it personal preference.

Quote:
i might have to check out JR, but ive heard the Sen models are very laid back and i dont think that pairs well with agressive music from a common sense stand point...

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #28 of 33
you have a Grado vendor right across the street?!

just try em before you buy it!

BTW, I'm a closed headphone guy. For the comments about soundstage on closed headphones, it's pretty true. However, that is why I love closed headphones. Vocals are oh so intimate. You have to go closed if you want your favorite singer whispering in your ears. Grados are upfront too, but not the same by any means.

Dec 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #29 of 33
Perceived clarity might be higher with the 325i because of the boosted highs, but there is not actually any more clarity.. it is just an FR trick.

This thread is useless because you seem dead set on them... and you have an opportunity to audition them.... auditions>any kind of advice... no one will hear them quite like you so get up off your ass and go listen :).

They will not be a big upgrade from the 225i, just a different FR plot. A lot of Grado fans prefer the 225i over the 325i... so don't think you are getting a boost in quality... it is just a nicer (I think) looking headphone with a polarizing FR plot. They are also MUCH heavier than any other grados - save the PS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back