Where is the Earmax?
Nov 6, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #181 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank for your input, I will do it when I have time.
cooperpwc , do you think I need the tube dampers?
I've not experienced any microphonics at all.
Do they improve SQ?

Thanks

No I don't think that you do with good tubes. The Earmax is at its best with a warm holographic quality that comes from rolling in premium NOS valves. Damping reduces that. So unless you have problem tubes, dampers don't improve SQ. (All IMHO YMMV as always.)

They are however fun to play with.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #182 of 353
I finally received today my E81CC driver. A rather strange tube as one side there is a Philips SQ E81CC and on the other, there is an Adzam E81CC print. And, of course, the code is DF6 D***: therefore an E81CC from Valvo's Hamburg factory... Now that's what I call a quite confusing tube.
rolleyes.gif

With regards to the sound: "Out of the box" it improves the bass in quantity and speed but it lacks the nice highs of the all-Dutch combination. Probably, I have to mix in some brighter German output tubes... However, a pair of Siemens Cca, which I shot cheap on German eBay, is already on its way.
cool.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #183 of 353
I've got one of the new-model EMPs on the way and am looking forward to hearing it with my RS1s. I've been following a number of EMP threads and have a whole bunch of NOS (BB, Mazda, RT, 7316, RCA Commander, etc.) AU7s kicking around -- are people still using these in their Earmaxes?

best,

o

Nov 11, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #184 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got one of the new-model EMPs on the way and am looking forward to hearing it with my RS1s. I've been following a number of EMP threads and have a whole bunch of NOS (BB, Mazda, RT, 7316, RCA Commander, etc.) AU7s kicking around -- are people still using these in their Earmaxes?

best,

o

U7s don't sound right in Earmax, if people compare with T7s from same production periods.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #185 of 353
Tube rolling can be so much fun... I am currently testing my first all-German combination (TFK ECC801s + Siemens Cca | Grey Plates) and my W5000 sounds like on steroid: Incredibly fast (for an OTL amp), deep and tight bass, peaking treble and a lot of detail across the spectrum. Therefore, it is a rather cold / neutral and analytical sound. I did not expect such an obvious difference to the in comparison really smooth and warm sounding all-Dutch trio.

Nov 15, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #186 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U7s don't sound right in Earmax, if people compare with T7s from same production periods.

Thanks for the tip. Just got my EMP hooked up and rolled with a 50s Mullard AT7 and a Sylvania blackplate triple-mica with SQ 6922s and it's very nice with my vintage RS1s, great midrange presence and tons of power in reserve, which I was surprised by. Nothing like my old balanced rig but very musical and satisfying in its own right. I see why the EMP and variants have attracted such a following. It's a sweet little amp.

best,

o

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #187 of 353
Not posted in a loooooooong time, but just to let you all know..... I still have my Earmax Anniversay Edition, Grado RS1's and Naim CD2 .

The little amp remains a gem and has proven to be supremely reliable and engaging.

Nov 16, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #188 of 353
ooooooopppsss....snap, crackle & pop....my center tube just died....time to put in another one....

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #189 of 353
then die again...

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #190 of 353
I just got the GS1000 and immediately notice the sibilance.
I bought used so there are about 500 hrs on them.
I got Amperex 7308 PQ white label made in USA and Siemens ECC801S on my Earmax Se.

What tubes would you recommend for smoother mid range and reduce the treble a bit?

Thanks

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #191 of 353
Try Amperex 6922 PQ from mid 1960's. Holand's is sweeter and smoother than USA's.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #193 of 353
This thread has been quiet for a while. I haven't been posting because I am just enjoying my rig.

However I have updated my signature to reflect that I am just listening to two sets of tubes now (alhough I have some nice alternates):

- 1961 Mullard M8162 + matched 1965 Philips E188CC (more holographic)
- 1949 Valvo ECC81 coin base + matched 1968 Telefunken PCC88 (more edge)

Mostly I have been listening recently to the Mullard+Phlips but I am listening to the Valvo+Telefunken right now with Rage Against The Machine. Fantastic!
beerchug.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #194 of 353
I love to see this topic again. Good amp just can last forever. Here is a picture of recent shot of the EMP. Still look cool...

IMG_2892.jpg

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #195 of 353
Nice pic, Edison! (Although me thinks that is the Earmax SE, not EMP.)

A good amp is enough to last a long time for me. I have no current desire to "upgrade" because I feel that I would lose at least as much as I could gain. This amp has such an easy warm sound signature. Great tubes makes the difference of course...

My big upgrade instead might be on the DAC side. (I have my eye on the pending Headroom Sabre Buffalo DAC).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back