Where is the Earmax?
Jun 29, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #211 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evelia19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you so much Argentum and Philski! Much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably order from Tube Amp Doctor, since I could go without the VAT and there should be no import tax in Hong Kong I'll need to pay.
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way, I wonder if anyone have used the EMP / AE / SE with some heavier music?
Because although I mostly listen to classical and avant-garde, there's quite an amount of progressive rock & metal, and some doom metal in my collection as well. I know those will probably sounds better with solid state amps, but from what I read the Earmax amps are very likely The One I'm looking for! It'd be nice if they won't go completely wrong with the category.

Anyone...?
biggrin.gif

Evelia

I don't think you would have any problem. Unless you are too picky
frown.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #213 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit again: dammit! Can't make up my mind: silver or Pro for RS-1?

EMP is good enough for RS1.

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #215 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried Sennheiser with the EMS?

I haven't, no - why, do they work well together?

I'm trying to avoid the near-inevitable Head-Fi syndrome of buying more headphones in the search for nirvana, but with Senns seeming to be at the opposite end of the scale compared to the K701s, maybe I should try them... that said, I couldn't be happier with my AKGs with the Silver Edition.

By the way, I see from your signature that you've gone quite deep into tube rolling with the Earmax - are there any cobinations that you would recommend? The Audiophile Club here in London have an 'upgrade' set of three tubes for £49, but they can't tell me what the tubes are, which isn't much use...

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #217 of 353
love the silver

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #218 of 353
Okay, I've now got an Earmax Pro (black and chrome version)
biggrin.gif

First impressions are very positive, the sound is very nice. However, I have noticed a slight background hum. This is present at all volume levels and the same with or without input attached, and the tubes have had plenty of time to warm up. The ambient noise is quite high here ATM (so hot, all the windows and doors open!) so I'm a bit worried it's going to be very annoying when it's quiet inside... Is this hum normal? Is it a tube problem - will rolling tubes fix it? Presumably if it was it would be the 12AT7 as it's equally present in both channels... tubes are currently stock, I think - it's second hand. The center is TAD marked and the other two are completely unmarked.

UPDATE:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
>> MANY tube amps have some hum with low impedance headphones, especially OTL tube amps.

Ah well...

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #219 of 353
dirty power? ****ty tubes? you can eliminate the low impedance theory by checking the amp with high impedance cans ... you could also try the amp in another socket ... sometimes if you share an outlet with a refrigerator, fan, computer it can have a nasty effect on your kit

Jul 1, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #220 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by onocentaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I have noticed a slight background hum. This is present at all volume levels and the same with or without input attached, and the tubes have had plenty of time to warm up. The ambient noise is quite high here ATM (so hot, all the windows and doors open!) so I'm a bit worried it's going to be very annoying when it's quiet inside... Is this hum normal? Is it a tube problem - will rolling tubes fix it?

Mine had a slight hum as well, and it wasn't from the tubes, but the circuit. It wasn't bothersome in the long run. As far as I know there's a mod for it posted in this forum (quite some time ago).

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #221 of 353
Is there any difference in sound between a Philips and Mullard late 1950’s early 1960’s D getter ECC81 in the Earmax Pro/AE/SE?

Aug 30, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #222 of 353
8aa5649e_.JPG

My Earmax Pro And Grado 325i.
I think EMP can make good all of the defetcs that grado cans have.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #223 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EMP is good enough for RS1.

huh, really? sorry i'm new to this. i have a pair of rs1i and was probably just going to get grado's ra-1 for it... been looking for a good deal. i doubt i can afford an EMP, but maybe i could afford just the earmax. sorry to veer this off-topic, but do you think i should just stick with an ra-1?

Sep 18, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #224 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Earmax Pro And Grado 325i.
I think EMP can make good all of the defetcs that grado cans have.

are you talking just about flaws of 325i? and what are those flaws? thanks.

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #225 of 353
hey guys,I will probably get myself an EMP very soon. it has been a long search but I think that I finally found the warm and lush and creamy tube sound that I always dreamed of..I am very excited from this,hope I won't get dissapointed.

the hum thing is a little bothersome,I will be using it with my HD650 and also RS1. hope that the RS1 won't make problems.

also,this amp looks really cool and exactly what I need in my small space. I was also considering the earmax silver,but I am afraid that I lose all the lushness and warm sound,having read comments about its more neutral presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back