Where is the Earmax?
Feb 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #196 of 353
Hmm... everytime I discover that I have used the same tubes so long that they must be my final choice... everytime I then post that on here... don't you know that is the cue for me to start rolling again.
biggrin.gif

I really like my Valvo coinbase as driver - and unfortunately it does not go well my Philips E188CC. (Wierd soundstage). So I am trying it now with my matched Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold ouputs. These are new tubes that I bought for about $56 a pair, half the cost of the TFK PCC88s.

The EH are good tubes. I did not like them with an EH driver so much but with the Valvo I am getting crisp dynamics, wide precise imaging and a versatile signature from hard through folk.

It shows again how important the driver tube is. I can't wait to try the Blackburn Microtech Solutions' TechTube brand E811CC when it is finally released. What if they go well with the EH 6922s? Wouldn't it be great if you could get excellent sound from the EMP with all new valves?

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #197 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pic, Edison! (Although me thinks that is the Earmax SE, not EMP.)

A good amp is enough to last a long time for me. I have no current desire to "upgrade" because I feel that I would lose at least as much as I could gain. This amp has such an easy warm sound signature. Great tubes makes the difference of course...

My big upgrade instead might be on the DAC side. (I have my eye on the pending Headroom Sabre Buffalo DAC).

I now a little more like the silver color than the black one. Will be getter a DAC1 PRE to match it. They must be looking awesome when come together.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #198 of 353
Quote:

Hmm... everytime I discover that I have used the same tubes so long that they must be my final choice... everytime I then post that on here... don't you know that is the cue for me to start rolling again.
biggrin.gif

I really like my Valvo coinbase as driver - and unfortunately it does not go well my Philips E188CC. (Wierd soundstage). So I am trying it now with my matched Electro-Harmonix 6922 Gold ouputs. These are new tubes that I bought for about $56 a pair, half the cost of the TFK PCC88s.

The EH are good tubes. I did not like them with an EH driver so much but with the Valvo I am getting crisp dynamics, wide precise imaging and a versatile signature from hard through folk.

It shows again how important the driver tube is. I can't wait to try the Blackburn Microtech Solutions' TechTube brand E811CC when it is finally released. What if they go well with the EH 6922s? Wouldn't it be great if you could get excellent sound from the EMP with all new valves?

The valvo coinbase is the best valvo ever. Better than the pinch waist 3 mica D getter 6201. It has close sound character to the Philips 1951/1952 ECC81 KÜHL Tube that Tubeworld is selling over 200$. I have 5 of the Philips. Also very nice tube indeed.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #199 of 353
valvo and Philips must have shared many of their researches on how to make these tubes. The first ECC81 was produced around 1948-1949, if my memory serves me.

Feb 22, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #200 of 353
Edison, I have some sad news. I wrecked my Philips ECC81 (ΔT-TkB) with angled D getter from 1954. It got wacked into the floor while hot. (long story; the short story is clumsy stupidity on my part.) It has gone hyper-holographic. Very interesting for listening to certain modern classical. But it's all wrong now. There is no image specificity anymore. (I can't tell precisely where the individual instruments are placed.)

Tragic.
frown.gif

I might want to buy one of those Philips ECC81s if you can spare it.
L3000.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #201 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now a little more like the silver color than the black one. Will be getter a DAC1 PRE to match it. They must be looking awesome when come together.
tongue_smile.gif

Cool! DAC1 Pre is something that I have considered. Nice dual purpose design. I just think that Headroom has a lovely sound signature and the Sabre chip is meant to be special. We will see... (Report back when you get it please.)

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #202 of 353
Rolling outputs to go with the Valvo coin base driver continues. (And to think that I went a couple of months without rolling at all...)

It's nice to rediscover the EMP-stock unmarked NOS ECC88s. Edison, you identified these as Tungsram. Synergy with the Valvo is excellent. They're probably a bit warmer and more holographic than the EH. Difficult to compare from memory with the TFK PCC88s but I like what I am hearing. I think that I will give these a protracted tryout.

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #203 of 353
Quote:

Cool! DAC1 Pre is something that I have considered. Nice dual purpose design. I just think that Headroom has a lovely sound signature and the Sabre chip is meant to be special. We will see... (Report back when you get it please.)

I ordered my DAC1 PRE from Tom Lee Music - Canada's Musical Instrument Megastore.

Seems to be a good dealer so far. They have the unit priced in CAD with a real time interaction with USD to CAD exchange rate.

Apr 18, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #204 of 353
this thread refuses to die....i just swapped out my JAN Sylvania 6922's for a pair of Amperex White Label Heerleen made 6922 (w large halos ('63?))...better in every category with smooth and puchy bass, great extension and amazing holography and separation...after trying several big buck 12AX7 & 12AT7's I went back to my trusty Raytheon made Baldwin labeled 12AX7A double mica black long plate's...the amperexes however really made my day....i did an 8 hour listening session with my new allan holdsworth cd's the other night and it was magic

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #205 of 353
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone would please kindly point me the right way on purchasing Earmax Pro?
frown.gif

I'm living in Hong Kong, so I figured I probably could only order it online, but I read a post on some people geting defective units... It will be much appreciated if someone would let me know a reliable site I could order from.

...Pretty please?

Evelia

Jun 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #207 of 353
I don't know what the HK$/£ exchange rate is like now, but the pound has been weak recently so you might get a relatively cheap deal from a UK supplier - I got my EarMax SE from here: Audio Affair (Edit: they have put up the price from £735, so it might not be such a great deal after all..)

I am absolutely thrilled with mine - my LD MKIV SE has been gathering dust since I bought it. I mainly use it with my Toshiba laptop with USB out to Pico DAC/Amp, fed into the EarMax and K701s. It's a very sweet combination.

To the tube rollers above: much of what you're talking about is Greek to me, but do you have any great recommendations for tube upgrades from the stock ones?

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #208 of 353
Thank you so much Argentum and Philski! Much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll probably order from Tube Amp Doctor, since I could go without the VAT and there should be no import tax in Hong Kong I'll need to pay.
very_evil_smiley.gif

By the way, I wonder if anyone have used the EMP / AE / SE with some heavier music?
Because although I mostly listen to classical and avant-garde, there's quite an amount of progressive rock & metal, and some doom metal in my collection as well. I know those will probably sounds better with solid state amps, but from what I read the Earmax amps are very likely The One I'm looking for! It'd be nice if they won't go completely wrong with the category.

Anyone...?
biggrin.gif

Evelia

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #210 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what the HK$/£ exchange rate is like now, but the pound has been weak recently so you might get a relatively cheap deal from a UK supplier - I got my EarMax SE from here: Audio Affair (Edit: they have put up the price from £735, so it might not be such a great deal after all..)

I am absolutely thrilled with mine - my LD MKIV SE has been gathering dust since I bought it. I mainly use it with my Toshiba laptop with USB out to Pico DAC/Amp, fed into the EarMax and K701s. It's a very sweet combination.

To the tube rollers above: much of what you're talking about is Greek to me, but do you have any great recommendations for tube upgrades from the stock ones?

Have you tried Sennheiser with the EMS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back