Where is the Earmax?
Oct 28, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #166 of 353
Bergman, I don't know anything about the tadac but mhdt and scott nixon are both non-oversampling DACs - just like USB Monica. So your comparison is the same as mine. Monica however does not use tubes. Her gain stage is the very interesting Rudolf Broertjes' SS I/V Gain Stage (using neither tubes nor op amps - truly discreet.) So the issue I have discovered, consistent with your testing, is the combination of a non-oversampling DAC chip with the EMP. A non-OS DAC brings a wonderful organic quality to music. But it isn't needed or desirable with the Earmax Pro which is already plenty organic on its own.

As always: IMHO YMMV.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #167 of 353
I just got the Telefunkon PCC88 tubes and Siemence ECC801s tube.
They sounds great with my Earmax SE.
I really like this combo with rock music.(HD650 with Stock cable)
Fast , Tight bass , very detailed ,extended treble but it seems a little bit fatigue for a long listenning.

Now I'm going to order some Valvo 6201 and some 6922 tubes.
Can you recommend some great 6922 tubes?

Thank you.

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #168 of 353
freakmax was there significant improvement, if compared to stock tubes ? I'm holding back my urge to do tuberolling, since I want to buy HD650 and Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #169 of 353
in your case I'd save up for the source and headphones, but once those are done, tube rolling is definitely worth it imo
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #170 of 353
Freakmax, you already have tight outputs with the PCC88s. So if you are going to get some more 6922s, you want to go the opposite direction: something classically tubey and holographic. My 1965 Philips E188CC are an example. Edit: And that should address your fatigue issue. The PCC88s have lots of treble detail - necessary for hard rock but indeed sometimes a bit much for long hours in front of the computer listening to mellower music.

Argentum, good tubes really do make a diference. I agree though that getting your cans and DAC right should be a priority.

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #171 of 353
Thanks cooperpwc, for your recommendation.
I'm going to get the Philips E188CC and back to write my impression here.
And yes argentum, I think you will notice an improvement from good tubes.
I aree with you all , once you are done with your system then enjoy the tube rolling.

@cooperpwc

Can you recommend some tube combo to use with my Earmax SE that sounds smooth and sweet and great with jazz or blue music, please?
Now I feel that Telefunken PCC88 tubes + Siemens ECC801s tube= losing some sweet spot or losing tubey sound.

And do you think I should get this tube?
Valvo 6201 Blue print.
VALVO BLUE LABEL 6201 ECC81 12AT7 GOLD PIN VACUUM TUBE - eBay (item 130265017967 end time Nov-25-08 17:40:06 PST)

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #172 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks cooperpwc, for your recommendation.
I'm going to get the Philips E188CC and back to write my impression here.
And yes argentum, I think you will notice an improvement from good tubes.
I aree with you all , once you are done with your system then enjoy the tube rolling.

@cooperpwc

Can you recommend some tube combo to use with my Earmax SE that sounds smooth and sweet and great with jazz or blue music, please?
Now I feel that Telefunken PCC88 tubes + Siemens ECC801s tube= losing some sweet spot or losing tubey sound.

And do you think I should get this tube?
Valvo 6201 Blue print.
VALVO BLUE LABEL 6201 ECC81 12AT7 GOLD PIN VACUUM TUBE - eBay (item 130265017967 end time Nov-25-08 17:40:06 PST)

You may try Amperex Bugle Boy ECC81 or Mullard ECC81. Both are very sweet, pleased to listen and well pairing with Telefunken. Amperex tends to more detailed and spacy, while Mullard is warmer and smoother. VALVO is just like other German tubes, accurate and frank. I am listing two Amperex Bugle Boy ECC81 with D getter in FS forum. Check it out if you are interested in.

Oct 29, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #173 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mullard ECC81 + two Holland-made ECC88: definitely the smoothest combination I have in my current tube collection.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #175 of 353
Listen to Edison, Freakmax. Everything good that I own has been from following his advice.

(BTW: Saso's combo parallels one of my favourites: Mullard driver +Dutch Philips outputs is sweet.)

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #176 of 353
My current favored tube set is the Dutch triplet as it produces the best mixture of smoothness and dynamics. The English-Dutch combination can be from time to time a bit too smooth for vocals... However, it is still my favorite for instrumental jazz as it emphasizes the tonal body.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #177 of 353
Anybody try to open the Earmax?Is it difficult?
I got mine used and there're some scratches on it so I'm thinking of painting black color on it.
(Earmax SE)

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #178 of 353
No. It is not at all. Do whatever you want to do with it and have fun!

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #180 of 353
Thank for your input, I will do it when I have time.
cooperpwc , do you think I need the tube dampers?
I've not experienced any microphonics at all.
Do they improve SQ?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back