Where is the Earmax?
Oct 18, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #151 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello
Will the PCC88 tubes work with my Earmax SE?
I'm going to buy them on Ebay but I'm not sure it will work because they have more voltage than the 6922 tubes.

Anybody has try PCC88 tubes on Earmax SE?

No problem, they'll work just fine.

Oct 18, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #152 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Thinks to himself - you can never own too many of these things.
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

There is even an Earmax AE currently for sale in the trade forums... We know that you want it.
biggrin.gif

I just ordered a 1964 Hamburg Valvo 12AT7WA in order to see if there is some improvement in the area of punchy bass: Earmax SE + Tube Rolling = Addiction...

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #153 of 353
ok I'm now very happy with this Siemens E188cc + Telefunken e801s Combo
smily_headphones1.gif
No more tube rolling (for now
wink.gif
)!

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #154 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by adriKA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

does anyone of you have any experience also with the Woo Audio 6? I am considering to buy an amp. Either the Earmax SE or the maxed WA6? Does it make sence to think about this or should I just flip a coin?
Cans I am pondering: RS-1, HD650, K701.

I'm interested too! Espicially with the WA6SE

Where can you get the earmax anyway? I can't even find the website...
What's this Morgan Jones thing that's supposedly better than the earmax? Someone enlighten me pls lol...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #155 of 353
Oct 20, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #156 of 353
I think the normal Earmax ie. the non Pro/SE/AE is based on the Morgan Jones, but the MJ being a DIY amp, adding boutique parts and all It would obviously take it to another level. Haven't heard one so that's all I can say
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #157 of 353
Actually, the Morgan Jones is based on the Earmax

If I got my history correct -
A schematic derived from the original Earmax was published in one of Morgan Jones' book. A optimized/improved amplifier based on this schematic was later created and available to DIY'ers, which became known as the Morgan Jones amplifier.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #158 of 353
I bought from Tube Amp Doctor. Good experience.

Saso, let us know how this 1964 Hamburg Valvo 12AT7WA sounds.

Caution, so how would you describe the Siemens E188cc + Telefunken e801s? I am especially curious about the Telefunken e801s.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #159 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the Morgan Jones is based on the Earmax

If I got my history correct -
A schematic derived from the original Earmax was published in one of Morgan Jones' book. A optimized/improved amplifier based on this schematic was later created and available to DIY'ers, which became known as the Morgan Jones amplifier.

I have learned the same thing. The schematic is actually not so well and outdated based on the test data and output power. The good thing is such a schematic creates a pleasant sound that any other amps hardly can. The SE version is a max out design for this schematic, was told by the designer.

Oct 21, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #160 of 353
My latest experiment is long overdue: switching DACs with the Earmax Pro and various tubes. I have been using USB Monica continuously since getting it. With my Millet Hybrid, I preferred the organic warmth of Monica. Now with my EMP and the super-warm Mullard+Philips tube combo, I am experimenting with returning to the more clinical and dynamic Headroom MicroDAC. I do miss Monica's organic qualities, but initial impressions are positive. It is more versatile, particularly with edgier rock, and I feel that the sound is also a bit more transparent.

I think that USB Monica will still suit the Valvo+TFK PCC88s since they are plenty dynamic and detailed already, and I believe that they are benefiting from the extra warmth. I will have to test them with the MicroDAC anyway...

(I'm saving for the next year's Headroom stand-alone desktop Max DAC using the Sabre8 DAC chip. Should be both organic as well as hyper-dynamic and detailed.)

Oct 21, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #161 of 353
Oh Didn't know it was the other way around, quite interesting though
wink.gif

as for the Siemens E188cc + Telefunken e801s I'd call it balanced, none of the frequencies are placed foward or back, soundstage/instrument separation is very very nice, bass goes relatively deep, I don't really have a reference here though, and bass is very clean. I think my previous tube combo was the reason why I didn't like the D2000s or HD650s in my set up. And with a local meet coming up this week, things aren't looking good for my wallet
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #162 of 353
Well my MicroDAC experiment continues. I tried putting the Valvo coin base with the Philips outputs. If I thought it produced a wierd soundstage before, with the MicroDAC it is absolutely bizarre. In a way, it's kind of cool. There is so much going on. But I couldn't do any work while listening to David Byrne's Independence Day. Same vocals in the centre, other sounds outside my head problem as before. Only now, with the MicroDAC's wider soundstage, the separation effect is extreme. Sounds were zinging around my head like a video game.

Cool... but just plain wrong.

The affect was made especially obvious with Marc Cohn's Silver Thunderbird. The separation of the piano low outside me ears and vocals high on my frontal lobe was rather unnatural.

So I did something that I rarely do: roll tubes mid-day. I swapped in my 1954 Philips ECC81 for the Valvo. I'm back to a Philips+Philips Dutch lovefest. Now this is working really well with the MicroDAC. It seems a bit warmer than using the Mullard as the driver (surprisingly) and definitely more dynamic. I liked this combo with Monica but it seems especially to suit the MicroDAC. This seems to combine the best of EMP tubiness and SS detail/dynamics.

Might I have found my tubes? For today anyway.
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #163 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as for the Siemens E188cc + Telefunken e801s I'd call it balanced, none of the frequencies are placed foward or back, soundstage/instrument separation is very very nice, bass goes relatively deep, I don't really have a reference here though, and bass is very clean.

Sounds like a nice balance.

Quote:

I think my previous tube combo was the reason why I didn't like the D2000s or HD650s in my set up.

I am coming to the conclusion that synergy is everything with the EMP: tubes, DAC, headphones. When it's wrong, it's really wrong. When it's right, it's magic.

Quote:

And with a local meet coming up this week, things aren't looking good for my wallet
tongue.gif

So very sorry!
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #164 of 353
Okay, I'm afraid that USB Monica has retired from my main Earmax Pro rig. Monica was a revelation with my Millet Hybrid. She brought organic warmth to my system and nudged the MicroDAC aside despite my having much loved the latter.

Well the love is back. It turns out that organic plus organic, while plenty engaging, is too much of a good thing. The MicroDAC's cleaner presentation and increased dynamics suit the Earmax Pro which likes to do that organic warmth thing on its own.

The revelation is the Valvo coin base + Telefunken PCC88s. I though that at least that combo would prefer Monica. It is mighty fine with Monica, no doubt. But with the MicroDAC, it's slamming. I listened to Led Zeppelin and Max Webster for about two hours today. Nice to know that I have a good hard rock setup when i want one.

So I updated my signature. It's MicroDAC in, USB Monica out with the EMP. I still love the girl. It's just the synergy, darling.

Oct 27, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #165 of 353
ditto coopers comments....when i was auditioning tube dacs (mhdt, tadac, and scott nixon) with my earmax pro I found the sq to be mushy and overly warm...BUT with a nice ss dac (lavry) the earmax pro has found a lifemate---clean but warm, spacious but not syrupy, and control at the margins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back