Where is the Earmax?
Sep 23, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #121 of 353
One more reflection. There isn't much discussion of tube dampers in this thread. They certainly aren't essential but I have concluded that they can help - with some tubes, not others.

I like my Mullard M8162 + Philips E188CC combo without tube dampers - maximises the magic. By contrast, I am using all 4 of my Herbie's audio tube dampers with the Valvo ECC81 coin base + Telefunken PCC88 combo - two on the Valvo driver and one each on the outputs. It find that it focuses the imaging and improves the overall bass, mids, treble balance. (The Valvo has strong treble...) Horses for courses, I guess.

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #122 of 353
Is there anything more fun than tube rolling on the Earmax?
dt880smile.png

As of today, my favourite combo has become the 1954 Philips ECC81 with the matched 1965 Philips E188CC. It's a Dutch love-in! But I'm sure I'll get back to the others soon enough.
wink_face.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #123 of 353
Tube rolling on the Earmax is indeed fun. I couldn't resist ordering a pair of Philips VR2 E188CC as the step from ECC88 to E88CC was already fairly obvious... Let's see how the big brother will compete against the current output tubes.

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:31 AM Post #124 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tube rolling on the Earmax is indeed fun. I couldn't resist ordering a pair of Philips VR2 E188CC as the step from ECC88 to E88CC was already fairly obvious... Let's see how the big brother will compete against the current output tubes.

That sounds good. My Philips E188CC from 1965 are branded ZaeuX and made in Heerlen, Holland. They were made by Philips and factory selected by ZaeuX to meet their clients criteria. They have matched triodes, zero microphonic and super low noise. What I can say subjectively is that they have remarkable magic in the soundstage which is fairly wide. They are not as "slamming" as the TFK PCC88s but definitely higher overall quality. If I could afford TFK CCAs (same construction as the PCC88s but 6.3 volt heater and higher quality), that might be the best of both worlds. Edison thinks so and I find it believable given the dynamic characteristics of the PCC88s.

Still with the Philips E188CC, the driver determines the sound signature. The 1961 Mullard M8162 produces jazz magic. The 1954 Philips ECC81 is still plenty warm but has more edge and stronger bass so it is a lot more versatile. With the Valvo coin bottom, it is less warm but absolutely slamming with all music.

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #125 of 353
Quote:

I love the Mullard as a driver that puts a lot of body into the acoustic jazz pieces I usually listen. Compared to my 10M, my ECC801s of TFK and Siemens sound in combination with my output tubes rather thin. Probably I should choose some not Holland-made ECC88/E88CC/E188CC...
smily_headphones1.gif

The Telefunken Ecc801s is not good in Earmax, but still better than junk
frown.gif

Try Telefunken 5965 if you want the Telefunken sound.

Siemens ECC81 are excellent. But there are too many versions out there.
darthsmile.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #126 of 353
Quote:

How does the Mullard + TFK PCC88 sound like,

It's OK. For me Philips is better choice with Telefunken output.

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:03 AM Post #127 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give a picture of the unmarked NOS output tube?

Edison, here you go. From an email when I was inquiring about buying a TAD replacement tube set: Quote:

our TAD tube set uses 1x RT002 + 2x RT-6922 balanced + selected especcially for the Earmax PRO/SE series. Mr. Brocksieper uses these tubes for future production batches. The current stock Earmax Pro comes with unmarked NOS E88CC instead of our RT-6922.

Any idea what these are?

Edison, you never did say if you can identify these. Any thoughts?

Sep 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #128 of 353
Additional note: These are exactly the same outputs that came with my second-hand SE. Of course also completely wiped off of any markings.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #129 of 353
I just rolled in the Philips / Valvo E188CC, which arrived today... Ah, there are the highs I missed from time to time with the Philips E88CC! Also noticed a tad more headstage and detail. Latter is most likely related to the bit more emphasis on highs done by the E188CC. Let's see how this will develop further. At the moment, it's very much to my liking.

Sep 29, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #130 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edison, here you go. From an email when I was inquiring about buying a TAD replacement tube set:

Any idea what these are?

Edison, you never did say if you can identify these. Any thoughts?

Hi, Paul,

I am sorry that I missed your post. I am pretty sure that those are Tungsram ECC88 or PCC88.
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #131 of 353
Quote:

Originally Posted by edisonwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Paul,

I am sorry that I missed your post. I am pretty sure that those are Tungsram ECC88 or PCC88.
beerchug.gif

Thanks! They are actually pretty good but the Philips E188CC are that much better.
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #132 of 353
Hello, friends.
I just wanna say that Earmax SE is probably my last headphone amp.
I don't feel the need to change any more. :-D
The Earmax SE matches pretty good with my Senn HD650's and RS-1's and this is with the stock tubes only.
I will come back to this thread once I have a bit more money to spend on new tubes.
See ya.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #133 of 353
Can anybody tell me which tubes I should be looking at for the STANDARD Earmax? ie not the Pro edition.

I couldn't afford the pro edition at the time I bought them, but am very happy with the standard edition for driving my HD600s.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:15 AM Post #134 of 353
ok so I got my set of tubes almost a week ago, and have been fidling around with rolling
wink.gif
here are my brief impressions with Siemens E188ccs as ouputs.

Telefunken E801s:

Holographic sound stage
good isntrument seperation
low on bass
no crunch to electric guitars

EH 12AX7 Gold:

bassiest tube out of the ones I have
sounds abit muddy when compared to other tubes
symbals sound really bad (uncontrolled/unfocused)

Mullard 12AT7 (1960s)

way too much treble for me
low on bass

Siemens e81cc

Mids sound recessed
lacks energy

Phillips Miniwatt 1957s

most balanced out of the tubes, but still lacks bass

All of these NOS tubes lack bass
frown.gif
I need a driver tube with more bass slam, perhaps my Siemens e188cc are bass light as well.

Oct 12, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #135 of 353
I guess that the bass lightness is really related to the Siemens E188CC as I wouldn't call my combination of Mullard ECC81 + Philips E188C (in an Earmax SE) light. In my system these produce tonal body as well as slamming upper bass.

Compared to the Philips ECC81 I recently acquired the Mullard lacks the a bit of the midrange magic for female voice... But latter sounds so good concerning acoustical jazz since it is producing more body and a tad more bass. Difficult decision.
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back