Where do I go from here? Want to move from Ultrasone 780 to...???
Feb 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Spamdunk

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker and bought my last pair of headphones through lots of research on here. Thank you so much for being a fountain of knowledge!

I currently own a pair of Ultrasone HFI 780 which I use via a cheap Fiio E5 running through a 5th Gen iPod and HTC sensation running PowerAmp. It fulfils my needs on a daily portable basis. I have moved into DJ'ing using vinyl decks and a really old Behringer mixer.

I do use the 780s at the moment to DJ with, but I am finding that the bass element is just not quite there.... it's ok if I press the earcup to  my ears to get a good seal, but I am looking for something with more punch to it so that I can beat match a bit more easily...

The usual suspects have cropped up in my research so far, namely:

Pioneer HDJ-2000
Sennheiser HD-25
AKG 167
Ultrasone 580/DJ1/DJ1 pro
Technics 1200
Allen and Heath XD-53.

My question here is.. which one is a natural progression from the 780? I would like to be able to use it out and about as well and retain a good sound quality. I do find the 780's to be quite sibilant and would like a can which don't pierce my ears if I have them turned up to monitoring levels! I do quite like the S-Logic aspect of the 780s.

How do the cans listed above compare with the 780 in terms of highs/lows and sound quality generally? I want them to be over ear rather than on ear if possible. I can deal with the clamping force of the 780s so that is not an issue.

I have a max budget of around £200.

In terms of music I DJ with UK hard trance/Hard house with trance making an appearance every so often. Artists like Technikal, BK, Lab 4, Justin Bourne, Marc Johnson...

I also listen to some liquid drum and bass when out and about, but I don't mix this. I'm sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I just cannot get true comparisons with the 780 in one single thread and I keep on going round and round in circles!! 

I am currently leaning towards the DJ1 Pro, will it be good enough to use as a DJ can? 

Many thanks for your help and time in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back