Whats the Best Dual Driver Earphones on the Market?
Jan 26, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't believe everything you hear, as many people would disagree with that statement. Etymotics, while very clear, have been known to produce almost too sterile of a sound, taking the fun and enjoyment out of the music you're listening to. Depending on your price range, I'd recommend the Westone UM2, Livewires, or the Super.fi 5 Pro.

refer to ClieOS's post
biggrin.gif

lots of people enjoy that "sterile" (some describe it as lack of coloring or neutral) sound instead of the colored sound of other IEM's. although I like my music a little more lively and bassy, technically to get the "perfect" headphone at least technology wise would be to create an absolute perfect replica of the audio without any coloring.

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
refer to ClieOS's post
biggrin.gif

lots of people enjoy that "sterile" (some describe it as lack of coloring or neutral) sound instead of the colored sound of other IEM's. although I like my music a little more lively and bassy, technically to get the "perfect" headphone at least technology wise would be to create an absolute perfect replica of the audio without any coloring.

fun headphones dont have to be coloured, the ety's are not fun if you have heard other claimed fun phones, you know the difference between fun sound and sterile sound then. thats not to say if you own the ety's that you cant have fun. you may have fun listening to them, but the sound produced is not fun. i think the ety's have much improvement needed, we all know the bass rolls off and bottoms out so why do we claim it to be the best single driver IEM there is or certainly one of the best ever. i think this is horse and the ety's are a cold one note bass, one trick pony personally.

i think the perfect set of phones is phones that can do all music well. that for me is the best set of phones, and the er4's are certainly good with some but sound distinctly average with other music, something like the q-jays can certainly do a wider array of music with better results so thats my point proven. ofcourse this is oppinion but i find it hard to believe many can argue with that

Jan 26, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #19 of 30
Kilpsch custom 3, Shure E5c, Shure SE420 and Audio-Technica ATH-CK10......

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 30
I currently have a CK7 & love it but want to try a double driver earphone because of this statment below:

For those who are unfamiliar with earphone technology, the reason that companies make double-driver earphones is that—like full-sized speakers—even the best single-driver earphones struggle at some point when they’re pushed to replicate the full audio spectrum. So double-driver designs split the work, letting one tiny speaker in each ear handle the highs while the other handles the lows. Engineered properly to work together, the two speakers won’t distort sound as much, resulting in improved fidelity, and they may also be able to reach higher and/or lower than a single driver that’s struggling to cover as much in the middle as possible. That said, truly excellent audio engineers can squeeze a lot of accuracy and range out of a good single-driver design, as Etymotic’s ER-4P has done.

I am leaning towards the q-JAYS but the thing that bothers me the most is the treble according to the review over at iLounge:

Of course, the real question isn’t so much whether Shure can make its $350 earphone better than its somewhat overpriced $250 earphone; rather, it’s whether it can make its $350 earphone better than the q-JAYS and the ER-4P, both of which can be had for less. Thankfully, the answer here is yes, but it’s not as simple as that: while the SE420 is a warmer alternative to the ER-4P, with superior bass range and bass detail, so is q-JAYS. However, SE420 does a little better in the treble and mid-treble department than q-JAYS, which sometimes enables its renditions of audio to possess slightly more apparent depth, depending on the song.

Despite its small comparative omissions in the treble department, q-JAYS is an instantly engrossing earphone. We went back and forth listening to dozens of our favorite songs and test tracks with q-JAYS, the SE420, and the ER-4P, and though we liked the sound from all three of the earphones, there’s no doubt that the $179 q-JAYS is the one that sucks you in the quickest.

Full review below:
Jays q-JAYS Earphones | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fun headphones dont have to be coloured, the ety's are not fun if you have heard other claimed fun phones, you know the difference between fun sound and sterile sound then. thats not to say if you own the ety's that you cant have fun. you may have fun listening to them, but the sound produced is not fun. i think the ety's have much improvement needed, we all know the bass rolls off and bottoms out so why do we claim it to be the best single driver IEM there is or certainly one of the best ever. i think this is horse and the ety's are a cold one note bass, one trick pony personally.

The only thing that matters is we have fun listening to the music, regardless of whether the 'phone has a 'fun' sound signature or not. If a person enjoy the 'phone, than it is 'good' for him/her.

If a person enjoy iBud as much as Triple.fi 10, who are we to point our finger at him? Should we blame him for not liking the expensive rig more? Fun and enjoyment is a state of mind, not measurable by any kind of frequency response.

One can only prove (s)he don't like what (s)he hears, but certainly not how other's preference of sound signature is wrong or not. While you might find ER4 sounds average for some music, other could just as well find it to be suited.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #22 of 30
In my experience I have not yet heard a 'balanced' sound that didn't lack something in either treble or bass. I find that the most efficient way to do it is to get something that can place emphasis on all frequencies, and sound good, then bring it down a bit with an equalizer to get a balanced sound if that is what you require, then, when you feel more musically minded, merely take off the EQ, or change it to something more energetic. I don't know if you would call a warm(er than balanced armature sterility) dynamic earphone neutral, but I have been very satisfied with my dual dynamic element Koss KDE/250's. It's more of a talent show when listening, not so much of a balancing act between the frequencies. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #23 of 30
I believe the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pros have a very neutral sound signature, and I got a pair for 69.99 shipped on ebay. Hard to beat that.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #24 of 30
SM2 or Custom 3

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #25 of 30

Quote:
I currently have a CK7 & love it but want to try a double driver earphone because of this statment below:

For those who are unfamiliar with earphone technology, the reason that companies make double-driver earphones is that—like full-sized speakers—even the best single-driver earphones struggle at some point when they’re pushed to replicate the full audio spectrum. So double-driver designs split the work, letting one tiny speaker in each ear handle the highs while the other handles the lows. Engineered properly to work together, the two speakers won’t distort sound as much, resulting in improved fidelity, and they may also be able to reach higher and/or lower than a single driver that’s struggling to cover as much in the middle as possible. That said, truly excellent audio engineers can squeeze a lot of accuracy and range out of a good single-driver design, as Etymotic’s ER-4P has done.

I am leaning towards the q-JAYS but the thing that bothers me the most is the treble according to the review over at iLounge:

Of course, the real question isn’t so much whether Shure can make its $350 earphone better than its somewhat overpriced $250 earphone; rather, it’s whether it can make its $350 earphone better than the q-JAYS and the ER-4P, both of which can be had for less. Thankfully, the answer here is yes, but it’s not as simple as that: while the SE420 is a warmer alternative to the ER-4P, with superior bass range and bass detail, so is q-JAYS. However, SE420 does a little better in the treble and mid-treble department than q-JAYS, which sometimes enables its renditions of audio to possess slightly more apparent depth, depending on the song.

Despite its small comparative omissions in the treble department, q-JAYS is an instantly engrossing earphone. We went back and forth listening to dozens of our favorite songs and test tracks with q-JAYS, the SE420, and the ER-4P, and though we liked the sound from all three of the earphones, there’s no doubt that the $179 q-JAYS is the one that sucks you in the quickest.

Full review below:
Jays q-JAYS Earphones | iLounge iPod Accessory Reviews

Well, according to that review, then triple driver IEMs surely must be even better? What about the Westone 4 with quadruple drivers? Or customs with up to 18 or so? Case in point: I prefer the e-Q5 with a single moving armature driver or even some dynamic drivers to many top tier triple driver IEMs. The amount of drivers isn't everything. Better just ask for opinions on upgrade options to the CK7. If it sounds anything like the CK10, similar IEMs would be q-Jays, possibly Hifiman Re0, Re252

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 30
kilpsch custom 3 , is the best duel driver iem  i have heard to date and it remains the only other iem that i still use on a regular basis  and still enjoy the sound of very much when i am not using my primary iem,the westone 4 which has become my firm favorite .
popcorn.gif

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 30

Quote:
kilpsch custom 3 , is the best duel driver iem  i have heard to date and it remains the only other iem that i still use on a regular basis  and still enjoy the sound of very much when i am not using my primary iem,the westone 4 which has become my firm favorite .
popcorn.gif

Hi lucozade, you owned many IEMs include SM3, W4 and what's on your future buy list (GR07, EX600, EX1000, RE272, any?).

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #28 of 30

Quote:
popcorn.gif

Hello luco buddy!! Where have you been man? I have the W4 now. Look on the appreciation thread to see my thoughts (overall they are pretty darn good). But you have to hear the two new bang-for-the-buck top tiers buddy>>> GRO7 and EX600. I think you will be quite impressed. Inbox me..

Jun 26, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #30 of 30
Hey, If you want "BEST", which includes many many different factors.

For example, "Super Affordable" - then the price is one of "BESTs"

So you try to find them from this reputable source and click to check out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back