What's the best AMP for the GS1000?
Feb 24, 2010 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

pwnm30rdi3

100+ Head-Fier
Well simply put, what is the best amp for the GS1000, what really makes these phones sing? Note: Not sure if this will help but I listen mostly to Rock, Soft Rock, and Alternative. I've been looking at the Woo Audio amps, another question I might ask is Tube AMP or Solid State? At the moment I'm leaning towards tube AMPs... This will be my first AMP!

EDIT: What are some good Solid State AMPs that go well with the GS1000's?

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 25
If you're willing to spend up to $500, I've got an amp that will be perfect for the GS1000. (You can get it all over; I'm not trying to sell you mine.) It's the M^3, either with Sigma 11 or STEPS PSU. Make sure you get one with variable bass boost. Without an amp, the GS1000 has bass but it's too close to the K701 in terms of hollowness. To supplement all that space with bass, get an M^3 with bass boost (but make sure you use a regulated PSU, not a wall wart; the difference in sound is wondrously better).

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 25
It depends on whether you intend on using the headphones as they were designed to be used, or whether you want to use them like "normal" headphones.

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Woo WA6SE maxxed and it's a great combination with the GS1K's for the kind of music I prefer (mostly acoustic, vocals, classical, jazz, blues, folk). Not a great rock combination though (I'd choose different cans).

I'll have to use them as rock phones until i find a new Headphone and gather some more cash! I probably wont like the way they play rock but it will have to work, at least for a month or two! I do also listen to acoustic, piano + vocals, vocals and some very very soft smooth almost acoustic rock.

Anyway yeah i was thinking the Woo 3+?

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on whether you intend on using the headphones as they were designed to be used, or whether you want to use them like "normal" headphones.

What's that supposed to mean?

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 25
SS- M3 with sigma 11
Tube- WA6

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SS- M3 with sigma 11
Tube- WA6

I was expecting a more detailed answer, like how much it costs ect ect...
Thanks

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 25
The GS1000 and a WOO 6 would be close to an ideal combination, providing the following:

1. You are using an accurate souce. An example would be good digital (CD) or analog front end.

2. Your listening is more towards classical or live recorded unamplified music which is not multi mic'd.

If it is not you might want to be looking at a different phone.

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwnm30rdi3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to use them as rock phones until i find a new Headphone and gather some more cash! I probably wont like the way they play rock but it will have to work, at least for a month or two! I do also listen to acoustic, piano + vocals, vocals and some very very soft smooth almost acoustic rock.

Anyway yeah i was thinking the Woo 3+?

Sorry, I have no experience with the Woo 3+ to compare.

I don't think you'll necessarily dislike how they play rock...it's just that there are other phones that will do rock a whole lot better. The music is there and certainly it is not grating or annoying in any way - it just occurs to me that one might like more meat on the bones when it comes to rock. What that amounts to is perhaps a more forward midrange in the case of the GS1K. This will vary to some degree on the amp you eventually choose to pair with it.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pwnm30rdi3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's that supposed to mean?

The GS1000 are designed for low volume listening.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 25
I vote for Grace m902 with its own DAC.
It will costs $1600 brand new, but will give you total satisfaction.

For your music preference, may be RA-1 can do the trick.
It cannot control GSK like m902 does, but the precision may be an lesser issue in Rock recordings.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by stokitw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I vote for Grace m902 with its own DAC.
It will costs $1600 brand new, but will give you total satisfaction.

For your music preference, may be RA-1 can do the trick.
It cannot control GSK like m902 does, but the precision may be an lesser issue in Rock recordings.

X2 the Grace is excellent for the GS1000..

If you want to spend less the X-Can_V8 does very well too, especially with upgrade PSU (pinkie) and some Russian tubes..

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1000 are designed for low volume listening.

I didn't know this (I thought they were designed to excel with specific types of music), but can confirm that they excel at low-level listening (which I do enjoy). I would add that rock at high volume with the GS1K becomes grating to me. What tends to happen is that when I adjust the volume to the mids, that listening level puts the highs and lows to a an unpleasant level (read: fast fatigue). Lower the volume and it's great, but again...for that type of music I'd sometimes like to kick it up a notch, or simply have a more forward midrange.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 25
The GS1000 is extremely fuzzy with amp's and need a loooong burn-in..
With the right amp and 500- op more burn in, you can listen loud (I seldom do this myself) without the down and upper distorsion..
They do excel in low volume though

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 25
Beware of generalizations regarding these cans. Despite certain "tribal truths" that many accept around here, low-impedance cans often work very well with OTL tube amps, for instance. Lately, I've been enjoying my GS1K immensely with the Proceed PCD3, my Woo 3 and fifties/sixties classic Blue Note jazz on CD. Some "experts" (they know who they are and you probably do, too) around here will insist this can't be true because you MUST have a transformer coupled tube or solid state amp to properly power low-impedance phones. And as is sometimes the case, these "experts" are wrong. Dead wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back