whats better then Portapros
Sep 4, 2010 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

swimmingstone

New Head-Fier
I just bought my sis a pair of portapros and I like them a lot especially the bass.
now I'm looking for a pair that have bass like them but a better sound, for a around $100 bucks.
before I listened to my sis's portapros I was thinking of the senn HD 280s, HD555, grado SR 80i but I hear that these don't have the best bass.
I would perfer closed headphones because I'll be in a dorm this year (er in like a week) but I dont mind too much.

So what are your guys advice. I wish i could tryout some but there is nowhere around that sells good headphones so Im buying blind...er deaf.

I searched the forums a bit but didn't get many results I was looking for.

BTW im really new at good headphones lol I always used crap earbuds.

Thanks for the help guys

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 9
Well PortaPros aren't that good in any area, especially bass quality. They certainly have more quantity than it appears they should from looking at them before trying. The main draw for them is folding, inexpensive, lifetime warranty, decent fit, light weight, and reasonable sound quality.

I'd suggest going IEM if you can take the fit. You'll find many more options that will have the bass you are asking for, and in the price range you seek. There are some good full size phones that would work for you but most are in the $125+ range.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
 but I hear that these don't have the best bass.

i have the portapro and sennheiser and i don't feel that the portapro has the best bass either. the sennheiser has enough of it. 

you can try out the Audio Technica M50. many likes them

and if you need bass of portapro so you can forget about grado.

what kind of music you listening to?

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 9
I listen to instrumental guitar, harder stuff like megadeth, older stuff from the 70s, daftpunk kind of stuff...pretty much everything thats not country.

when you say the sennheiser has enough bass what is that like compared to the portapros? as i said I cant try these on anywhere so Im basing this all off the portapros cuzz thats the only thing i have.

Sep 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 9
You could also give the Sennheiser PX-100 a try.  It has astounding bass for a headphone that light and cheap.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Then you should want headphones that are closed, good at not leaking sound out so to not bother a roommate, and good at blocking external sound because dorms are noisy.

What's your budget for buying new headphones, and what equipment will you be plugging into?

Quote:
I would perfer closed headphones because I'll be in a dorm this year (er in like a week) but I dont mind too much.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 9
I used my ATH-M50s when I was living in a dorm. They are great for keeping music in and noise out. My roommate couldn't hear anything leaking from them, so he could sleep while I was listening to music just fine. Only possible issue is that he also couldn't get my attention very easily because I couldn't hear anything but the music when wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back