Whats a good headphone with a lot of bass but still balanced?
Oct 1, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:
Could u try to explain the difference?

The difference between planars and dynamics isn't too important when it comes to frequency response, but I'll highlight it briefly anyway.

Dynamic headphones are the most common. They consist of a diaphragm attached to a magnet. When electricity is passed through the magnet it moves, and the diaphragm moves with it. The center of the diaphragm moves more, because that's where the magnet is.

Planar magnetic headphones are a pretty old technology, but only recently making a comeback. The diaphragm itself has lines of magnetic metals snaked across it, and the diaphragm is suspended between powerful magnets, usually in a push-pull configuration. When electricity passes through the diaphragm, the whole thing moves between the magnets.

One big advantage of planars is they're able to reproduce deeper bass frequencies with flatter response and less distortion, because the diaphragm moves as a whole unit. Some dynamic designs are able to come close through tricky science, such as the double diaphragm designs of some AKG and Sennheiser headphones or the ring-shaped driver of the HD800.

For you, the most important thing is frequency response and sound signature. I already posted about the HE-300, and how its frequency response is not exactly even. The HE-5LE sounds completely different, not just because it's a planar but because its frequency response is more even. See these graphs:

HE-5LE
HE-300

For difference between sound signature, the HE-300 has shelved treble in comparison and an emphasis on upper mid-range. It has a lot of bass, but it won't blend very well with the mid-range because of the frequency response drop in the lower mid-range. It will have more bass impact. The HE-5LE in comparison has slightly recessed upper mid-range compared to treble. The HE-5LE is more balanced overall, and that combined with its "superior" technology will probably mean it sounds better.

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #19 of 37
The Pro2900 are very bass heavy yet detailed in mids n highs with wider soundstage.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 37
T1? It depends on what you consider is "a lot of bass".

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:
Does that mean if im looking for headphones at a cheaper price range than the he 5le then its better to look for a dynamic headphone?

It's basically your only option, unless you get the Fostex T50RP. They don't have much bass straight from the factory, but a lot of people mod them to bring it out.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #24 of 37
How does a headphone with a lot of bass still sound balanced?

The closest I've seen was the D2000, but ONLY with a neutral amp and a good DAC. Get the wrong amp/source and the bass is all bloated.

Then there is the Koss Pro DJ100. But that's out of your budget since it's only $80.

Could also try the HD-600, but I don't know if that would have enough bass. I think it does.

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #26 of 37

Quote:
How does a headphone with a lot of bass still sound balanced?

The closest I've seen was the D2000, but ONLY with a neutral amp and a good DAC. Get the wrong amp/source and the bass is all bloated.

Then there is the Koss Pro DJ100. But that's out of your budget since it's only $80.

Could also try the HD-600, but I don't know if that would have enough bass. I think it does.

What would be a good amp for the D2000?

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #28 of 37
The E9 is not good with low impedance headphones. It has a 10 ohm output impedance, and relatively poor THD and noise compared to its use with high impedance headphones.

The E7 is better for sensitive headphones like the D2000. Low output impedance, similar distortion but better noise, and portable. And a DAC.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #30 of 37
Heya,
I have the Denon D2000, D5000, DT990. The D5000 is the bassier headphone, warmer, and able to hit solid low tones without suffering your mids & treble (the way the DT990 does, it's mids just are not there). I would definitely suggest the D2000 if you had to get something right now on the lower side of the cost. A D2000 is going to be flat/neutral, all the way to 30hz which is awesome. It's such a good headphone. It will do all the bass you can throw at it with authority. If you can swing for the D5000, or get a used one, it will have a bit more bass, so it will be even better for you--but it's a lot more expensive (try and a used one). I would not get the DT990 if you want balanced because it is not balanced.
D2000 all the way. Best value for a balanced closed headphone with monstrous ability in bass.
D5000 if you want to spend twice as much for woodback and a touch more warmth.
HD650 if you want a mellow open headphone (not as much bass as the Denons).
As for higher up, the Hifiman HE-500 is the only other headphone I have that is open that can do the bass that the Denon's do. But it's a high end, so not comparable really. But if you can find a used HE-500, I'd say get it.
Very best,

I agree. The D2000 is by far the best value for the rich bass you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back