What Would Be A Headphone The Complete Opposite Of Grado 325is
Jul 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

whirlwind

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys...

What would be a headphone that is the complete opposite of Grado 325is and cost the same ammount.

Cost must be $300 or less.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 23
Honestly, I'd have to +1 this. It's the most opposite to Grado I can think of while still being a headphone you'd want to own. Here's a breakdown, Grado vs. ATH-A900:

Uncomfortable vs. Extremely Comfortable
On-Ear vs. Very Huge Over-Ear
n-Shaped Curve vs. u-Shaped Curve
Small Soundstage vs. Huge Soundstage
High Treble Detail vs. High Bass Detail
Fully Open Design vs. Fully Closed Design

Good job KGJ.

Quote:
The Audio Technica ATH-A900 (with more than $100 to spare).

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
Honestly, I'd have to +1 this. It's the most opposite to Grado I can think of while still being a headphone you'd want to own. Here's a breakdown, Grado vs. ATH-A900:

Uncomfortable vs. Extremely Comfortable
On-Ear vs. Very Huge Over-Ear
n-Shaped Curve vs. u-Shaped Curve
Small Soundstage vs. Huge Soundstage
High Treble Detail vs. High Bass Detail
Fully Open Design vs. Fully Closed Design

Good job KGJ.

I own the Audio-Technica ATH-A700

Is the sound about the same between the A700 and A900?

If so....then I think I need to look for something else....if not...then maybe these will be right.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 23
They sound similar, but not the same. Why don't you like it as an alternative to the Grado? They are really opposite extremes... what do you think you mean when you say "opposite of Grado"? What exactly are you looking for?

Quote:
I own the Audio-Technica ATH-A700

Is the sound about the same between the A700 and A900?

If so....then I think I need to look for something else....if not...then maybe these will be right.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 23
Thanks alot for your fast reply.

Yes, I do like my A700, but I do not like them anywhere even close to my 325is.

I was hoping that if i invested in a nice pair of cans at the opposite end of the spectrum that I would have a complete opposite listening experience.

I guess I would have that, but I guess i just like the Grado sound more than I originally thought maybe?

What about something with alittle more bass, but not just bass and losing out on the mids and highs....I love how i seem to hear everything with my Grados....alll instuments seem to just be so easy to detect .

Maybe do I just need another set of grados with more bass?

I love classic rock....pretty much anything rock....thats what they will be used for.

I am open to suggestions.

Unfortunately I do not live anywhere near to go listen to them for myself...though I would love too...it would be so much easier.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 23
Looking into this, I would start recommending Beyerdynamic, specifically the 880. They have the bass Grado lacks along with the piercing, detailed highs Grado is known for, while still having good mids. They don't sound "dark" or even particularly "airy" like the Audio Technica series does -- if those are the reasons ATH isn't your favorite, definitely look into Beyerdynamic.

Quote:
Thanks alot for your fast reply.

Yes, I do like my A700, but I do not like them anywhere even close to my 325is.

I was hoping that if i invested in a nice pair of cans at the opposite end of the spectrum that I would have a complete opposite listening experience.

I guess I would have that, but I guess i just like the Grado sound more than I originally thought maybe?

What about something with alittle more bass, but not just bass and losing out on the mids and highs....I love how i seem to hear everything with my Grados....alll instuments seem to just be so easy to detect .

Maybe do I just need another set of grados with more bass?

I love classic rock....pretty much anything rock....thats what they will be used for.

I am open to suggestions.

Unfortunately I do not live anywhere near to go listen to them for myself...though I would love too...it would be so much easier.

Thanks again for your advice.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 23
Thanks much...I think this is something that I would like better...are the 880 in my price range of 300 or less?

I really would love to try the Grado RS1....but it is just out of my price range...unless of course i would sell my 325is....which I would dearly miss.

Jul 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 23
Yes, the 880 are $160-190 new. They have hot treble, but are possibly even more detailed than 325, not sure. Super comfortable too, unlike Grado :)

Quote:
Thanks much...I think this is something that I would like better...are the 880 in my price range of 300 or less?

I really would love to try the Grado RS1....but it is just out of my price range...unless of course i would sell my 325is....which I would dearly miss.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 23
OK...I see there is a 250 and a 600 ohn version....quite a difference there.....not quite sure of the reason for this, however?

I am going to be using these on my pc, and I have an Asus Xonar essence...which believe it or not can power 600 ohm cans.....just not sure which version to look into.

My listening seesions rarely last over 3 hours each......my grados really dont bother me for the length of my sessions, to be honest. I usually take alittle break every once in awhile...usually to take a leak or grab another beer  :)

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #13 of 23
There's a 90 ohm version too. I'd recommend that or the 250. Your Xonar can definitely power the 600, but if you want to take the Beyers out of the house, you're out of luck. Even 250 is low enough to be adequate with an iPod, etc. 90 ohm is the best choice if you're going to be on the go all the time.

An increase in impedance gives slightly better detail and overall sound quality, *as long as you have the power to drive them*. If you don't, the 600 ohm will sound worse than the 90 ohm. And the increase in detail isn't that huge from what I've read; but in all fairness, I've only listened to the 880 600 ohm.

Some user reviews through the search bar can probably give you a bit more information than I'm able to. Cheers!

Quote:
OK...I see there is a 250 and a 600 ohn version....quite a difference there.....not quite sure of the reason for this, however?

I am going to be using these on my pc, and I have an Asus Xonar essence...which believe it or not can power 600 ohm cans.....just not sure which version to look into.

My listening seesions rarely last over 3 hours each......my grados really dont bother me for the length of my sessions, to be honest. I usually take alittle break every once in awhile...usually to take a leak or grab another beer  :)

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 23
Thanks for that...I will do alittle reaseach on the matter.

They wont be leaving the house at all..so that wont be an issue....but the 250 ohn does seem more logical to me.

Again thanks for your help and your fast replies....this is an awsome forum with some very headphone savy people.

Your help is much appreciated..

Eveytime I come here I spent way too much cash  :)

I originally came here looking for a way to to lengthen my 325is headphone length....that is the only down fall to them.

I am going to leave by getting a 15 ft. Grado headphone extension cable.

A set of G-Cushions for my 325is....just to see the difference in the sound...

Maybe a new set of cans.

My wife will think I blew the money...but I will call it a good haul :)

Thanks again soundstige

Users who are viewing this thread

Back