What were your standards before Head-Fi??
Dec 27, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #91 of 113
Not much difference for me. I've been a hi-fi/head-fi nut since 1975 or so. I had many nice setups before finding this place and I'd already gone through a large number of cans. This place did help me get more, though I'm not sure that was a good thing
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #92 of 113
Pretty high. I never had any qualms about spending money to audio equipment. Since I was a kid I wanted my dad to buy me better headphones, though he always brought me some cheapie stuff. I aimed towards Porta Pro as a end-and-all headphone (rrright...
biggrin.gif
), after reading some favorable reviews in different tech magazines. Eventually I got KTX/Pro original version, and later when it broke I got Sporta Pro.
I had some old (and surprisingly good) Pioneer stereo amplifier, Sony two-way speakers which I got from my older sister, and DIY subwoofer with 8" element (dont remember what brand, it wasnt real subwoofer element but normal bass element), and later DIY subwoofer with 12" Rockwood car-sub element. Subs were connected through passive treble-filter to Sony integrated rack system (where the 2-way speakers belonged originally), which was connected from AUX to Pioneers headphone output. (My Pioneer didnt automute speakers when headphone was plugged, they were toggleable and worked like a charm!)

That was quite a system. I could adjust overall volume from the Pioneer, and adjust the subwoofers strength separately from Sonys volumeknob and 5-band EQ. Far from Hifi, but it showed that I was a real headfi-looney candidate since birth.
biggrin.gif
I wish I could do some speaker system again someday, but this time with knowledge I have now...

Dec 27, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #95 of 113
Really no different than what it is now. I was never the type to spend a ton of money on speakers although I knew that was where the good sound was. If I had more cash flow I might have. I've spent a ton of money of high-end guitar tube amps though.

Now it's all about the mp3 player for me. I love being able to carry around a large quantity of music but I also understand that you can only get so much quality out of a dap and a set of IEM's. I don't amp - that would defeat the purpose of being portable, IMO.

But I did want to get the best IEM's I could down in the $100 price point range and head-fi has been very helpful in that regard. I'd love to try out some SE530's, Triple.fi's or other high end IEM's but I doubt I would find them worth that kind of money to me. I'm happy with what I went with which was the Denon AH-C700's which I found because of this place.

M.

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #98 of 113
Sony MDR-V900 & A European Beyer DT811

I thought Head-fiers were "off-their-rockers" and to be avoided at all costs... Then both headsets broke, and I needed to figure a better way to work with headphones in my home studio. At the same time, Headphile caught my eye... Yeesh, I suppose I had no standards then... (-:

Dec 28, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #99 of 113
I had totally different standards before Head-Fi.
Owned a Grado SR80, which to my ears was "perfect" driven by an iPod...

Those days...
tongue.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #101 of 113
Panasonic XR-55 and Axiom M3Tis.

Both very good equipment for the money but I just didn't get very much satisfaction from them anymore not to mention i have roommates and can't usually them very loudly after 9pm. Anyone whose every owned loudspeakers and has used them in a large room probably knows how high you have to crank them to get adequate clarity. Either that or you have to use dynamic compensation so it squashed the volume levels. bah. Might as well get a good headphone setup that will give me better performance for the money.

My previous headphones were HD-280s though. I bought some Beyer DT-880s and was unsatisfied with them and thats pretty much how I came to discover this forum. Now I've got a DV 332 and some HD 650s on the way
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #102 of 113
Before head-fi, i thought that iriver T30 + Senn PX100 is the beginning and the end of audio listening
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #103 of 113
One day, I decided that it had been too long since I had a good pair of headphones, so I started looking around. I landed at HeadFi and that was it!
Prior to that, Koss 4a's the dog ate were the only things I had left. I always listened via my home stereo system, which was great, but difficult to buy headphones for.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back